Beware when booking mini-suite on Pacific Dawn

davoni

Hi

I have a question for anyone who has stayed in a mini-suite onboard the Pacific Dawn. Do the bathrooms have a washing line over the bathtub?

We are looking at washing our smalls (inlcuding swim suits) and paying for laundry on the bigger items eg dresses, shirts etc due to them needing to be ironed. We are taking our own washing powder and just wanted to know if there is anywhere in the minisuite to hang them. I remember that in the suite onboard the pacific sun they had a washing line over the bathtub.

Also, has anyone stayed in one with a roll away bed (or is the lounge a sofa bed)? We are taking our DD and are not quite sure how the rollaway bed thing works.

Also if anyone has any photos of the mini suite I would love to see them.

Thanks Rach

We stayed in Room 181 on Aloha Deck and early in the morning it was a bit noisy.Husband thought it was the automatic door on Lido deck opening and closing.It was not bad enough to bother us and it just meant that we were up early to the buffet for breakfast:)In my job I work 9 p.m to 4 a.m so it's nice to see some daylight.

We've booked Mini Suites A135 A136 A149 booked. Can anyone give me any positives, or negatives on these?

A guess if A134 has been proven to not have a noise problem, A135 and 136 should be OK too.

Just hope A149 will be OK too.

Look forward hearing of anyones experience in any of these particular Mini suites.

Thanks.

Jillybean:)

Hi Anna,

Thanks for your comment.

Actually the Purser Supervisor did offer us earplugs!

The problem was not so bad at night, we went to bed late most nights and the noise started around 5.00am with the jogging - no need for a wake-up call.:p

Really...jogging at 5 am :eek:. Princess doesn't allow jogging before 9am and even then most people only walk on promenade deck. On that deck few passengers would be disturbed by the noise.

Interesting that the pursur offered you earplugs...maybe others have suffered your ordeal?

(There I go again, waving the Princess flag ;))

Anna

We have cruised four times on Pacific Dawn, with three of those in the SAME mini suite, A162, which is also under the smokers area. Even though we had problems with the noise, we absolutely loved the location and would book it again in a heartbeat! For us, the benefits of a mini suite far outweigh the minor noise issues! In a review of our first cruise on her in Feb last year, I made mention of the noise coming from Aloha deck. as for writing to P&O about it, all I can say is good luck! I'm http://help.apple.com/ipodtouch/3/mobile/ passengers in mini suites on every cruise complain about the noise!

Hi there,

We stayed in A134.

Whilst we did hear the scraping of chairs a bit, it was did not bother us much. We more noticed the loud creaking of the ship, and one of the lamps rattling. (I tried to fix the lamp which seemed to work to some degree) Yes the ships creaking noise kept me awake more than anything else, as well as the sound of pouring water which I guess came from the waterfall in the pool - as the ship lurched forwards we would hear a big splash of water afterwards above us. I heard running only during the day which I think was from kids running around the pool, as A134 is near the kids pool I think. The running track did not seem to affect us, which I think is because it was a floor higher than the one above us.

We still loved the position despite these noises and as it was our first cruise ws wondering if the loud creaking is just anormal ship thing. I hope so, as it freaked me out a bit! Having said all this we got used to the noises by the second week, and alcohol sure helped us sleep too!

Bathroom - no there was no washing line in the shower which I thought was unusual because I have heard that they have them in lower standard cabins. Luckily I took one of those round foldaway peggy things which we could hang by its large hook on one of the pipes on the ceiling of our verandah and things dried quickly. (Or hang in the bathroom)

By the way, we thought A134 was in desperate need of a refurb as the carpet, lampshades, couch were looking very tired and stained.

But we still loved it!

bit of a mixed bag with the noise above the mini suites ! anyway my cruise buddy says that shouldn't have any trouble with noise for i never hear anything she says let alone any noise above heheh joking guys

Really...jogging at 5 am :eek:. Princess doesn't allow jogging before 9am and even then most people only walk on promenade deck. On that deck few passengers would be disturbed by the noise.

Interesting that the pursur offered you earplugs...maybe others have suffered your ordeal?

(There I go again, waving the Princess flag ;))

Anna

No jogging before 9.00 am - is this on all Princess ships??? My partner won't be too happy as he loves to have a jog before breakfast LOL. Does anyone know if this applies to the Diamond Princess?

Hi

I have a question for anyone who has stayed in a mini-suite onboard the Pacific Dawn. Do the bathrooms have a washing line over the bathtub?

We are looking at washing our smalls (inlcuding swim suits) and paying for laundry on the bigger items eg dresses, shirts etc due to them needing to be ironed. We are taking our own washing powder and just wanted to know if there is anywhere in the minisuite to hang them. I remember that in the suite onboard the pacific sun they had a washing line over the bathtub.

Also, has anyone stayed in one with a roll away bed (or is the lounge a sofa bed)? We are taking our DD and are not quite sure how the rollaway bed thing works.

Also if anyone has any photos of the mini suite I would love to see them.

Thanks Rach

Hi Rach,

There is no line above the bath however we took some pegs and pegged smalls on the back of the blue loungers on our balcony. They cannot be seen if you're in port and they are dry in no time. The sofa is not a sofa-bed. There was a rollaway bed under our bed which the steward makes up for a child. Will post my pix soon.

Hi Rach,

There is no line above the bath however we took some pegs and pegged smalls on the back of the blue loungers on our balcony. They cannot be seen if you're in port and they are dry in no time. The sofa is not a sofa-bed. There was a rollaway bed under our bed which the steward makes up for a child. Will post my pix soon.

Here are some pix

DSCN0269.jpg.fb7b60f9f32cec37ef531e94ecc8c050.jpg

DSCN0270.jpg.03c40839cd15f74f6772b6690c47317e.jpg

DSCN0274.jpg.c9b37864ca257df0fb84ac399147f49d.jpg

DSCN0271.jpg.7680f580c11eb0f4981c4385c522091a.jpg

DSCN0272.jpg.cd192eaff7d19fec403e0a9899f4e063.jpg

Great pics Davoni.

I think you will find on every ship that sails the seas that the deck below the pool deck some noises can be heard.

I agree with a previous comment that ships creak and things squeak anyway. Never can it be totally silent.

My suggestion, open the door to the balcony and enjoy the sound of the ocean, that'll make you sleep well, not to mention the fresh sea air.

Thanks very much for the pics - they were just what I need to answer a few questions - however I do have one or two more for you:rolleyes: - you'll be sick of me soon!!

1. Are there shelves in the bathroom - the mirrors look like they are the medicince cabinet type?

2. Is the kettle provided or did you take your own?

3. Do you possibly have any photos of the wardrobe part of the mini-suite eg shelves/drawers and hanging?

Again

Thank you so much for helping me out with these and all my other questions.

Rach

1. Are there shelves in the bathroom - the mirrors look like they are the medicince cabinet type?

3. Do you possibly have any photos of the wardrobe part of the mini-suite eg shelves/drawers and hanging?

Rach,

Yes actually the storage space in the bathroom is excellent. There is the mirror in the middle and each side has a door behind mirrors which are quite wide with several shelves. I took heaps of lotions and makeup etc and it all fitted easily on my own side. My husbands side had heaps of spare room. Sorry I didn't take a photo inside the bathroom.

I am also wondering if the kettle was provided because we did not get one in our mini suite.

In the wardrobe there was one wall with a large cupboard storage area at the top (the safe was housed there also) and underneath I think there were 6-8 drawers. I will attach picture but I am not sure how many drawers the picture cut off at the bottom. The hanging space was quite wide too, but I had to ask for extra hangers as we took 30 kilos of luggage each (but some of his was actually mine!!! LOL)

So all in all we had heaps and heaps of storage space. We had the drawers in the wardrobe area plus 2 sets of 4 drawers under the mirror in the living area, plus 4 drawers on each side of the bed. Plus there were 2 rack/shelves which held towels etc above the fridge on the wall between the bedroom and the wardrobe. Ample storage. Hope the pictures are helpful.

IMG_2663.jpg.ae38f5d6bc24bc8f6f8fc057b7b43263.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg.95e8e3266fc2495488ddcc01ec91b007.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg.6831f0939ba3a9b71f21b42b5078996d.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg.5c84b46027554b1841a6f6ed49f97928.jpg

Thanks very much for the pics - they were just what I need to answer a few questions - however I do have one or two more for you:rolleyes: - you'll be sick of me soon!!

Again

Thank you so much for helping me out with these and all my other questions.

Rach

Hi Rach,

The mirrors on both sides have shelving behind them.

We took our own automatic kettle (not supposed to I think) but we are very careful about switching off appliances.

There are lots of drawers in the suite - we didn't use half of the and we took lots of clothes (too many) as we live in Brisbane.

Have posted pic of the wardrobe which is outside the bathroom.

Yvonne

DSCN0273.jpg.83b8ea423e6624338d4634a4eada0af1.jpg

Great pics Davoni.

I think you will find on every ship that sails the seas that the deck below the pool deck some noises can be heard.

I agree with a previous comment that ships creak and things squeak anyway. Never can it be totally silent.

My suggestion, open the door to the balcony and enjoy the sound of the ocean, that'll make you sleep well, not to mention the fresh sea air.

Hi,

We kept the door to the balcony open most of the time and always at night, even packed a strap to attach to the rail to keep the door from closing.

We love the fresh sea air.

We had A151 on the PD, we did experiecne some the early morning noise from moving of chairs & tables, I think it was the crew cleaning the deck, it wasn't every day. Did notice there where more people on the smokers side (even cabin No's) early in the morning so maybe its worse on that side. There is a sign asking the joggers not to use the track before 8am, but they didn't bother us. Except for the Island nite we didn't hear much from the night activities.

Overall we loved the mini suite, plenty of space and got all the extras as per the brochure, the priority check in was a real benefit. Would do it again but are probably next going on a Med cruise so we won't be able to afford it.

You may have not meant to pick on smokers but you have.On the last night of our cruiseon PD a large part of the smokers area was roped off so the poor people could get some sleep.What happened the previos seven nights.Smokers are the most sociable people on a cruise because they have to be.Treated like the scum of the earth.Its amazing except for a couple of hours a day there was noone sitting in the non smokers area except for one afternoon when the non smokers tried to steal the smokers chairs when the smokers were going to the bar etc.

You may have not meant to pick on smokers but you have.On the last night of our cruiseon PD a large part of the smokers area was roped off so the poor people could get some sleep.What happened the previos seven nights.Smokers are the most sociable people on a cruise because they have to be.Treated like the scum of the earth.Its amazing except for a couple of hours a day there was noone sitting in the non smokers area except for one afternoon when the non smokers tried to steal the smokers chairs when the smokers were going to the bar etc.

Here we go again.........:rolleyes: I can hear the violin music starting up now......:eek:

Hi, we were in A146 and didn't have any problem with the noise. Yes, sometimes you could here the chairs being moved around. I assumed this was the staff setting up the tables and chairs because it was early in the morning. It was not sufficient to annoy us and we would definitely book this cabin again. The first couple of days the airconditioning was so cold and we couldn't seem to get it to a comfortable setting so from then on we had the balcony door open. Even with the door open all the time the noise was not a concern for us. The cabin was the best layout and most spacious that we have ever had and certainly worth the extra. Have a great trip

I don't think you read my post properly. My husband is a smoker and he was up on Lido deck with the rest of the 'scum of the earth' as you put it. I agree smokers get a hard time - anywhere these days.

We did not ask for the area to be roped off on the last night (I presume you were on the Xmas cruise?) We were surprised and amused at the same time that P&O staff did this. I guess they had quite a few complaints from other pax on this side of the ship as I'm sure they wouldn't have roped the area off for only 2 'poor people'.

You also confirm what has been said about the starboard (non-smoking) side of the ship having fewer people using the tables and chairs.

Light up, Lighten up and enjoy!:cool:

Hi, we were in A146 and didn't have any problem with the noise. Yes, sometimes you could here the chairs being moved around. I assumed this was the staff setting up the tables and chairs because it was early in the morning. It was not sufficient to annoy us and we would definitely book this cabin again. The first couple of days the airconditioning was so cold and we couldn't seem to get it to a comfortable setting so from then on we had the balcony door open. Even with the door open all the time the noise was not a concern for us. The cabin was the best layout and most spacious that we have ever had and certainly worth the extra. Have a great trip

Oh good, I'm now really looking forward our cruise and the Mini Suite.

I don't think you read my post properly. My husband is a smoker and he was up on Lido deck with the rest of the 'scum of the earth' as you put it. I agree smokers get a hard time - anywhere these days.

We did not ask for the area to be roped off on the last night (I presume you were on the Xmas cruise?) We were surprised and amused at the same time that P&O staff did this. I guess they had quite a few complaints from other pax on this side of the ship as I'm sure they wouldn't have roped the area off for only 2 'poor people'.

You also confirm what has been said about the starboard (non-smoking) side of the ship having fewer people using the tables and chairs.

Light up, Lighten up and enjoy!:cool:

Hi it was the PD W926 departed Sydney on Sept 25.

What about the poor people whose cabins were under the dome.P&O don't close the dome because its too noisy.I think if you cruise with 2000 others you should expect the noise.

Hi it was the PD W926 departed Sydney on Sept 25.

What about the poor people whose cabins were under the dome.P&O don't close the dome because its too noisy.I think if you cruise with 2000 others you should expect the noise.

I think the ship's officers' cabins are under the dome - not that I have ever been in these cabins! The dome is on deck 14 and the highest deck with passenger cabins is deck 11.

This doesn't sound like people complaining about general noise, but just about that where they are trying to sleep. Cruising with 2000 others doesn't mean you want them in your bedroom. And if it was a co-operative thing about general noise, people in other bedrooms would be complaining as well, not just those in certain rooms.

Archived