Booking an excursion at the pier in Juneau

CoughEQueen

My only cruising experience is in the Caribbean and there are always excursion vendors on the pier. Will I find this in Juneau? Any experiences (good or bad) booking from the pier?

I'm looking for a good inexpensive (around $100ea) whale watching trip.

My only cruising experience is in the Caribbean and there are always excursion vendors on the pier. Will I find this in Juneau? Any experiences (good or bad) booking from the pier?

I'm looking for a good inexpensive (around $100ea) whale watching trip.

Just as in the Caribbean you will likely find vendors at the pier offering a variety of excursions. Unlike the Caribbean, however, it has not been our experience that those excursions were being offered at bargain prices. I suppose that it is possible that if there is a paucity of demand for these trips, some bargain prices might be offered but whale watches and helicopter flights seem to have substantial demand and if you find an excursion online that suits your desires, I'd recommend booking it to avoid being shut out.

There is a very limited selection of tours, waiting until you get into Alaska ports. Time can also be eaten up, that may be valuable to you. If you are sure you are looking for a whale watch, I would suggest you book in advance. All the whale watches are more than $100- meaning the regular offered tour boat vendors. I recall, mentioning a 2 for 1 offer in one of the purchased coupon books, but to make out with this, you would have to have other uses for the book.

I always recommend having plans and reservations in place before you hit the ports. But this also includes the "plan" to find something late booking. So, find out what is likely going to be available to you and have some basic decisions made perhaps.

We had already booked a dog sledding helicopter tour in Juneau It was cancelled and were able to book the last 2 seats on Orca Enterprise.If we had been a larger party we would have been out of luck. IMO just come prepared with other options like taking bus to Mendenhall Glacier,and if necessary try to book latter in the day if need be.

I really don't quite understand why you would want to just walk off the ship and book at the pier, especially on your first cruise to Alaska. There are sooooo many things to do, and sooooo many people booking them, that the best excursions tend to sell out fast. If you walk off the pier to try to find something available you are hoping for leftovers. Anybody who managed to get places on Orca Enterprises was very lucky. They are highly recommended operators and frequently book up very fast.

Particularly in Juneau, and also in Skagway and Ketchikan, there are indeed usually operators available at the pier. But as BQ points out, you are going to waste valuable time finding a tour, deciding which tour you want to take, figuring out timing, and often waiting around for other people to arrive to fill up the bus.

I really like to have things well planned out ahead of time. Frequently we choose one of the excellent ship's excursions. Other times we book with one of the recommended operators. Only on very rare occasions would we try to book ashore. Since we have been to Alaska numerous times, there are indeed certain ports where we might do that, looking for something that might be new to us or perhaps quick and easy to do. But I certainly do not think that is wise for your first trip to Alaska.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Very good question, Mike.

I am also a planner and like to know 'what's going on' ahead of time. But what we've found as we started down this road, is that it's much more expensive to cruise Alaska than the Caribbean, cruise and excursions.

We're not willing to wait another 1-2 years saving to do all the expensive excursions. For us, it's all new and there isn't only one thing to do. If funds were endless, we'd be doing a glacier trek in Juneau. Since that's not the case, and we're trying to stick to a budget, we're completely okay with waiting to see what's available and in our price range. If we can't find a whale watching tour that fits in our budget on the pier, then we take the bus to Mendenhall Glacier, hike to the fall, see the capital...like I said, it'll all be new to us, which makes it all good!

Planning this cruise, like life, has been about give and take....choices or opportunity costs. If you choose this, than you lose the opportunity to choose that. We chose a stern mini-suite which leaves less for excursions. I'm just happy to be able to go...I could sit on a park bench and people watch all day...'cause I'd be people watching in ALASKA! :)

just think about how busy the river walk is on busy nights and you get an idea of how busy the ports are, in alaska, every day during the cruise season.

orca enterprises does have a office at the dock area, right across the street from the tram office (2nd floor). check with them as soon as you get off the ship. some of it will depend on when you cruise.

most of the whale watching boats are family owned and operated out of their home offices.

Very good question, Mike.

I am also a planner and like to know 'what's going on' ahead of time. But what we've found as we started down this road, is that it's much more expensive to cruise Alaska than the Caribbean, cruise and excursions.

We're not willing to wait another 1-2 years saving to do all the expensive excursions. For us, it's all new and there isn't only one thing to do. If funds were endless, we'd be doing a glacier trek in Juneau. Since that's not the case, and we're trying to stick to a budget, we're completely okay with waiting to see what's available and in our price range. If we can't find a whale watching tour that fits in our budget on the pier, then we take the bus to Mendenhall Glacier, hike to the fall, see the capital...like I said, it'll all be new to us, which makes it all good!

Planning this cruise, like life, has been about give and take....choices or opportunity costs. If you choose this, than you lose the opportunity to choose that. We chose a stern mini-suite which leaves less for excursions. I'm just happy to be able to go...I could sit on a park bench and people watch all day...'cause I'd be people watching in ALASKA! :)

It looks like you are taking some of these posts the wrong way??? It isn't just costly excuraions that need advance planning. The major point of these first hand responses is to perhaps, IF you wish to make the best use of your short time is to have any reservations and plans made ahead.

You may be unaware, that the dock booths are fixed prices, and I'll just about bank on it, you are not going to find any whale watches for $100.

There is PLENTY to do on a budget, and I have done so, in all the Alaska ports. From a free walking tour, with a map available right from the dock visitor center in Juneau and Ketchikan, I do, however suggest you take a look at Frommer's Alaska and Fodor's Alaska- since both also have them, and it is big advantage to go over it ahead of time. Skagway has one right on line.

Plenty else to see and do.

Nothing is cheap in Alaska. You are used to San Antonio prices. You have to get that out of your mind.

Please read the threads about what to wear in Alaska especially near glaciers or you will be huddled IN your fancy suite looking out the windows.

Budget Queen - Maybe I did take Mikes post the wrong way. His post was questioning 'why' I'd wait to book on the pier....so I answered the 'why'.

The Frommer's and Foder's are excellent recommendations. I've borrowed both from the library and one that is specifically about Alaskan cruise ports...but I don't remember the publisher.

And I'm sure you're right, we're not likely to find a whale watching tour for $100. So the plan is to take the bus to Mendenhall, hike, visit the capital and King Crab Shack.

Penny - your post is funny, but true. I've had to adjust the budget a couple of times...from when I saw the taxes/fees added to the cruise cost to the cost of hotels in dt Seattle.

And there's no worries about finding me in a fancy suit...we're already purchased our Columbia jackets...they have built in layers that can be taken apart as the temp varies.

Budget Queen - Maybe I did take Mikes post the wrong way. His post was questioning 'why' I'd wait to book on the pier....so I answered the 'why'.

And I'm sure you're right, we're not likely to find a whale watching tour for $100. So the plan is to take the bus to Mendenhall, hike, visit the capital and King Crab Shack.

I understand your why response, but in Alaska, the "why" was asked, because it isn't the Caribbean with endless taxi/van/cheap tours available. I will continue to suggest you not "wait" until you are there to figure out exactly what you are going to do. Whale watches are $20-30 more.

I've had to adjust the budget a couple of times...from when I saw the taxes/fees added to the cruise cost to the cost of hotels in dt Seattle.

You might want to try Priceline (name your price) for hotels in Seattle. If you haven't used Priceline before, get yourself educated about how it works before you even think about bidding. There are several good resources if you are interested in this option.

Yes, you did, and very well I thought. It seems as though budget is one of your prime considerations, as well it may be.

However, I don't think waiting to book at the pier is the way to save money. As BQ says, you still need to plan ahead because you are highly unlikely to find any 'bargains" as you walk off the ship. There are inexpensive things to do in most Alaska ports.

Honestly, we usually choose the expensive (and wonderful) excursions by booking a very inexpensive cabin on the ship. Those balconies and mini-suites are very popular in Alaska so there are lots of folks who like them, and the prices reflect that. We often choose the least expensive outside cabins and save enough for my wife to ride the dog sled on the glacier! (You wouldn't catch ME up there!)

It is always about choices and opportunities. Everybody has to set their own priorities.

Have a GREAT cruise!

knittinggirl, you must be thinking of another port. All but one of the piers in Juneau are right in town. Or perhaps that was your pier.

At the cost of some time, you'll probably be able to haggle a vendor down to $100, if they have a spot available and it's a slow day. My friend was visiting one summer, and she's a notorious cheapskate. I couldn't convince her to go to Tracy Arm for that cost, so I found one of the not big name whale watching outfits mentioned here who'd do it for $80 each. Now, that was a 'local' discount, but something tells me if you offer cash or are seniors or if it's raining, some excuse, you can probably get a lower than posted price.

Maybe. Or maybe not. You may have to hit a couple vendors. You can check to see how many ships are in when you are, and that'll probably give you an idea what sort of luck you'll have, but there's no guarantees.

Or you could find somewhere else to save the money and book a quality trip. The Crab Shack can easily cost a $100 for two to eat there.

My $80 trip was nowhere near as good as the Orca trip I took a few years before with other friends, but my friend is the sort of cheapskate who wouldn't have a good time if she spent a lot of money. She'd rather have a 'meh' time on less money. *shrug*

Archived