Portofino's Cost

texreno

RCI didn't have a Portofino's Specialty Restaurant the last time we sailed with them.

1. Is the current cost for Portofino's still $25.00 pp on Voyager of the Seas and is it worth the extra charge?

2. I've been told this covers the tip but is customary to leave an extra tip?

RCI didn't have a Portofino's Specialty Restaurant the last time we sailed with them.

1. Is the current cost for Portofino's still $25.00 pp on Voyager of the Seas and is it worth the extra charge?

2. I've been told this covers the tip but is customary to leave an extra tip?

1. It is either $20 or $25 PP. It is well worth the cost. Eat there once and you will find out why.

2. We have always left an additional tip. We usually leave another $25 PP but we have known others to not leave anything else. This is a real grey area.

1. It is either $20 or $25 PP. It is well worth the cost. Eat there once and you will find out why.

2. We have always left an additional tip. We usually leave another $25 PP but we have known others to not leave anything else. This is a real grey area.

Wow, I'll bet they love to have people like you come in :) I know there are plenty of myths about just how much of the fee goes towards the gratuity, we were told $5 per person by the Maitre d' (although not necessarily accurate), so your servers are getting around $30 per person gratuity!

Since we order wine @ around $50 per bottle with a $7.50 tip and we are tipping (from what we were told) $10 for the 2 of us, we figure $17.50 in gratuity is enough. If you figured dinner in a land restaurant is around $35 per person, plus wine @$50, total $120 for dinner, $18.00 would be a 15% gratuity. By your figure, it would be about a 50% tip and I'm happy for your servers!

I do not consider the fact that the food is better to be an equation in the gratuity. The servers don't prepare the food. Cooks are generally the most well paid employees in a restaurant if they are trained. Chefs are typically the highest paid. Neither of them are in the gratuity pool.

Realistically, dinner out for us is never quite $120, we eat in little mom & pop places, so dinner is more around $80 and we try to leave 20% gratuity.

Archived