Charleston walking tours, opinions please?

COASTERBOB

We are trying to decide between "Charleston Footprints" and "Charleston 101" walking tour companies, when we arrive on the Century Mercury in Charleston on 1/25. Both tours appear to offer very knowlegable guides. Has anyone had experience with either tour and/or would recommend any other tour companies? Thank you. Bob

we got a map (from a local restaurant) and did our own 'walking tour' - everything is very agreeable, from where the MERCURY docks. Wear comfortable shoes. Great place for lunch: Sticky Fingers (many famous folks have dined there - you can check out their web site, before you go). Lots to see and do / easy to get around, on foot.

Do your own research, take a map (and a GPS) - have fun! just IMHO;)

We are trying to decide between "Charleston Footprints" and "Charleston 101" walking tour companies, when we arrive on the Century Mercury in Charleston on 1/25. Both tours appear to offer very knowlegable guides. Has anyone had experience with either tour and/or would recommend any other tour companies? Thank you. Bob

I have never used either of these two companies but I have heard of them and I am sure they offer nice tours.

When I was there for Christmas a few weeks ago, I took Jack Thompson's Civil War Walking Tour and it was great.Jack will make you think you think you are back in Conferderate Charleston.His tours leave form the Mills House at 9:00 AM.

I also highly recommend Preston Cooley's Charleston Church tours for something different.Preston will take you in 4-5 churches, which are usually not open to the public.Great tour with lots of Charleston history thrown in.Preston leaves from the Meeting Street Inn (10:00 I believe))

As the previous poster stated, Charleston is very easy to tour on your own.Make sure to walk around and explore.A stroll down beautiful Chruch Street is a must.Every thing is close to the ship, convenient, and safe. The locals are very friendly and will help with directions. Enjoy Charleston!

I have never used either of these two companies but I have heard of them and I am sure they offer nice tours.

When I was there for Christmas a few weeks ago, I took Jack Thompson's Civil War Walking Tour and it was great.Jack will make you think you think you are back in Conferderate Charleston.His tours leave form the Mills House at 9:00 AM.

I also highly recommend Preston Cooley's Charleston Church tours for something different.Preston will take you in 4-5 churches, which are usually not open to the public.Great tour with lots of Charleston history thrown in.Preston leaves from the Meeting Street Inn (10:00 I believe))

As the previous poster stated, Charleston is very easy to tour on your own.Make sure to walk around and explore.A stroll down beautiful Chruch Street is a must.Every thing is close to the ship, convenient, and safe. The locals are very friendly and will help with directions. Enjoy Charleston!

Thanks for the reccommendations. We have decided to go with Charleston Footprints as it is a good overview of the city and he is meeting us at the Custom House acroos from the ship. I know we'll be "thirsty" after the tour, so any thoughts ona good pub or two in the area?

Well, most places that you will see/be near are tourists traps and are about the same. Honestly I would suggest you look at a carriage ride... the guides are full of info, no one gets tired and you have plenty of walking just doing the shops/straw market/King St. shops. On Market St. (it's the street with the "straw market" and where to catch a carriage ride - a straight shot from the pier) are several "saloons" and up on King St. to the right of Market St. you will find many shops and several places to relieve you of your thirst.

Here are some:

http://local.yahoo.com/results?p=Bars+Pubs&radius=1&ycatfilt=96926063&csz=Charleston%2C+SC

This site has all kinds of tours:

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/tripplanner/seedo_tours.html?type=1&category=6&sub_category=38

Hope this helps!

Bob

My husband and I live in Charleston and we would be happy to suggest several restaurants for you to try. Please let us know what type of food you prefer and an approximate price range. As for walking tours there are several to choose from and you will find that our historic downtown is very accessible-you are docked in the middle of it! I echo the need for good walking shoes as our sidewalks can be uneven. I too would recommend a carriage tour and will be happy to provide names of companies we have used. The walking tours only go so far and you will miss much of the charm we are known for if you opt only for a walking tour. May I also suggest you contact the visitors bureau-they have a wonderful tourist guide with a map that you will find very helpful and can be ordered online. Y'all come see us we love our city.

I too would recommend a carriage tour and will be happy to provide names of companies we have used. May I also suggest you contact the visitors bureau-they have a wonderful tourist guide with a map that you will find very helpful and can be ordered on line.

I too live in Charleston and echo those recommending the carriage tours. There are only five companies. They charge $21 without a coupon but everyone has $2 off coupons. Olde Towne Carriage has a $3 off coupon in the Tourist Pack envelopes. The routes are selected by bingo lottery as governed by the Charleston Tourism Commission to evenly distribute the carriages throughout the residential district.

We do have one of the be CVB's in the country. the web site to order the Charleston Convention and Visitors Bureau Visitors Guide is http://www.charlestoncvb.com

For a pub, I'd do Condon's Irish Pub on Church Street (one block off South Market). Their prices are reasonable and only about 4 blocks from the cruise terminal. Their food is decent and not that expensive if you're hungry. I like their Irish nachos. They use chunked potatoes instead of chips smothered in cheese and the rest of the stuff Mexican restaurants put on nachos.

We do have one of the best CVB's in the country. the web site to order the Charleston Convention and Visitors Bureau Visitors Guide is http://www.charlestoncvb.com

It just dawned on me you don't need to order the Visitors Guide. The CVB will have a representative in the terminal handing them out if you don't get one ahead of time on the ship. The CVB and the cruise lines have a very strong relationship. :)

I too live in Charleston and echo those recommending the carriage tours. There are only five companies. They charge $21 without a coupon but everyone has $2 off coupons. Olde Towne Carriage has a $3 off coupon in the Tourist Pack envelopes. The routes are selected by bingo lottery as governed by the Charleston Tourism Commission to evenly distribute the carriages throughout the residential district.

We do have one of the be CVB's in the country. the web site to order the Charleston Convention and Visitors Bureau Visitors Guide is http://www.charlestoncvb.com

For a pub, I'd do Condon's Irish Pub on Church Street (one block off South Market). Their prices are reasonable and only about 4 blocks from the cruise terminal. Their food is decent and not that expensive if you're hungry. I like their Irish nachos. They use chunked potatoes instead of chips smothered in cheese and the rest of the stuff Mexican restaurants put on nachos.

Thanks for info Chas, and we already had Tommy Condon's Pub pegged! Wherever I travel, I look for an Irish Pub and any micro-breweries or brew-pubs. Ya might say I enjoy a good pint now and then! Bob

• 6 months later...

Archived