Princess, while you are listening to Carolyn....

Love Boat Dream

Originally Posted by Love Boat Dream viewpost.gif

I posted a thread on the Princess page about getting them to do a little more about the Meet & Greets and it has started an interesting discussion!

That was probably an excellent idea. I did talk by email with the lady I was working with to set up our party on the Princess, Colleen Reyes, about our party, numberous times. She let me know that Princess wasn't going to participate like RCCL in any form. That they were giving us space and that's was it. If you look on the rollcall boards you can see that RCCL is an active supportive of the Meet and Mingle and that by clicking on register list it takes you back to a RCCL website to register for your ship's Meet and Mingle. They have invitations in your cabin with the party date and time and place the next day. They make a huge effort for everyone to have a great time and meet at the party. I think that makes us (the passengers) feel more at home and comfortable, very valued and supported by the cruiseline. Maybe that's part of us liking RCCL a bit more. Letting Princess know how you feel might help bring change if enough people exert some pressure on Princess to do this, who knows?????? Hopefully it's a step in the right direction! Good Luck!:confused:

Jan

PS

To Times Prince, you are supporting Princess by buying your cruise ticket and being onboard etc. I and my husband have decided to support RCCL and will sail with them in the future, we won't be supporting Princess. Sometimes negative re-enforcement drives the point home. We did put our comments about the lack of support for the M & G on our survey/satisfaction form.

As much as I enjoy M&Gs, and chatting on the roll calls, I don't sail Princess expecting special treatment just because I participate in CC.

I cruise with Princess because:

1. I enjoy the quiet classiness of the decor, and the comfort of the accomodations on Princess ships

2. I appreciate the consistently high level of service

3. I like the itineraries that are offered

4. I enjoy the entertainment options

5. I like the food provided in the dining rooms and the Horizon Court, and at the International Cafe.

Princess does not need to try to wow me with champagne, canapes, gifts, and the presence of shp's officers at M&Gs to keep me sailing with Princess. Yes, those are all nice extras, but I just need Princess to continue to earn my loyalty by continuing to provide all the things that I already get from and like about them.

Ditto on the above and all others who feel the same way.

I have met some good friends at our "own" set up Meet & Greets with Princess. Don't care if the mucky mucks show up, that is not why I am there.:)

Most times we don't have to ask our fellow rollcallers to buy a drink:D

Just wanted to put my two cents in...

Meet and Greets can be as simple as agreeing to meet few fellow CCers for breakfast, a drink, or wine and sushi to an all out party with all the trimmings. On Princess if you want the extras, the CCers will need to provide them. I think its a good idea to personally invite the CD, Captain and whoever else you want to attend your event (leave personal invites at the pursers desk upon embarkation). Here's my recent experience with setting up an M&G on my last cruise.

I coordinated a M & G for our Baltic cruise on the Emerald this past fall. I emailed the event coordinator, who asked me to contact her about a month out from our cruise to set it up. A month before I emailed her again and received an email with the date, location, and time for the M & G. They would provide the room (Adaigo), a table (to check people in and fill out name tags), and a bartender. A few days prior to boarding I emailed John Lawrence (retired CD and history expert/port lecturer for the Baltic region who was on board the Emerald) and asked him to attend our event. Upon arrival to our cabin there were two letters on our bed. One was a confirmation from the Emerald about our scheduled meet and greet; the other was a handwritten note from John Lawrence stating that he would do his best to attend the M & G.

I brought a couple of 1500ml bottles of wine, purchased small gifts for everyone (green dog tags with the ship's name and cruise dates on it), and printed up blank nametags. Obviously, these things could have been divied up between different CCers. John Lawrence did show up and talked with everyone who attended (around 50 or so). People bought drinks from the bar, a CCer brought a bottle of champagne to share. Princess provided wine glasses and bar snacks (pretzels, peanuts, ?--didn't eat them, so I don't know exactly what was in the bowls on the bar).

We had a great time. It was fun to see people from the M & G around the ship and on shore tours throughout the cruise.

Unless things have changed the item you're referring to is called dry snack mix--you haven't missed a whole lot--unless there has been a change.

Nancy:D

I think you are right...from a distance it looked like "dry brown stuff" so I didn't venture over to it!

Nancy (too!)

I was on RCI - went to M&G that was just a handful of CCers - we were on our own for libations. Last May cruised on Star - went to M&G a bit late, so I'm not sure if there was anything arranged by Princess. This is fine by me - I had gone to meet in person the people I'd been meeting on here on CC. I did get a bit miffed when later in the week there was a get-together for veterans - from all countries & not one officer came to meet those who make it possible for us to freely sail the seas today. I mentioned this on my evaluation/comment card. Hopefully, Princess will not ignore other groups of vets. I would choose Princess again. We like anytime dining & other aspects that Princess has that meets our needs.

I'm not looking to prolong a thread in which the same arguments keep being made both for and against a particular point...

However, I have read this thread and am, frankly, amazed at the opinion many have that Princess should be doing more for the CC M&Gs. Why in the world does anyone have that expectation? Princess is in the business of delivering a great cruise experience for EVERYONE ON BOARD. There may be times when they cater to specific groups (e.g., veterans, Captain's Circle members), but they work hard to ensure there's something going on to appeal to everyone all the time. To "ask" (demand?) that they now fit in another event, and that it be staffed by a bartender and attended by ship's officers, for a VERY small percentage of all passengers, seems - dare I say it - arrogant. To request a bartender means someone not scheduled to work will now have to go on the clock; ship's officers have MANY duties they perform all the time to keep things running smoothly and seamlessly and seldom have downtime; and cleanup after a M&G would require housekeeping services.

It's great when people who will be traveling together have an opportunity to meet and chat on line through the roll call threads, but if they want to plan an organized meeting, that's their responsibility, not Princess's. And to say that the amount of attention you get from Princess staffers at your M&G will determine whether or not you sail with them again is ridiculous. If you can't find enough to do during the cruise that you want to make the M&G the highlight of your trip, then you have the wrong expectation.

I've met WONDERFUL people on my roll call for my upcoming cruise (Ruby in 12 days), and we are planning a M&G. I'm looking forward to meeting and talking to THEM, not Princess members. If crew members do show up, I'll be delighted to have a chance to meet and talk to them too, but our group is so friendly that if it's just us, I'm sure it will be fantastic. Those who feel differently about their group might do better skipping their M&G.

Sorry for the rant - this is all just MHO. Happy sailing, all!

I'm not looking to prolong a thread in which the same arguments keep being made both for and against a particular point...

However, I have read this thread and am, frankly, amazed at the opinion many have that Princess should be doing more for the CC M&Gs. Why in the world does anyone have that expectation? Princess is in the business of delivering a great cruise experience for EVERYONE ON BOARD. There may be times when they cater to specific groups (e.g., veterans, Captain's Circle members), but they work hard to ensure there's something going on to appeal to everyone all the time. To "ask" (demand?) that they now fit in another event, and that it be staffed by a bartender and attended by ship's officers, for a VERY small percentage of all passengers, seems - dare I say it - arrogant. To request a bartender means someone not scheduled to work will now have to go on the clock; ship's officers have MANY duties they perform all the time to keep things running smoothly and seamlessly and seldom have downtime; and cleanup after a M&G would require housekeeping services.

It's great when people who will be traveling together have an opportunity to meet and chat on line through the roll call threads, but if they want to plan an organized meeting, that's their responsibility, not Princess's. And to say that the amount of attention you get from Princess staffers at your M&G will determine whether or not you sail with them again is ridiculous. If you can't find enough to do during the cruise that you want to make the M&G the highlight of your trip, then you have the wrong expectation.

I've met WONDERFUL people on my roll call for my upcoming cruise (Ruby in 12 days), and we are planning a M&G. I'm looking forward to meeting and talking to THEM, not Princess members. If crew members do show up, I'll be delighted to have a chance to meet and talk to them too, but our group is so friendly that if it's just us, I'm sure it will be fantastic. Those who feel differently about their group might do better skipping their M&G.

Thank you.......:)

Sorry for the rant - this is all just MHO. Happy sailing, all![/quote

Thanks Jenny

Thanks Jenny. You are so right. The CCers that are attending the M & G should take the responsibility for creating the party...NOT Princess! Whatever Princess provides is just gravy!

Nancy

Don't get too excited about the M & G's on RCI. Having been on 2 different sailings on the Explorer of the Seas last year several months apart, a lot has to do with the organizer of the M & G. Our first sailing was very active with the postings and getting a large of number of passengers to sign up for the M & G. Once that was done, our "unofficial" leader went all out to contact the right person at RCI to make sure we had a M & G with officers attending and refreshments. We even did our own gift exchange and tour of each category of cabin available. Several of the passengers teamed up on tours and kept the correspondence going for about 8 months after the sailing! Some even decided to book another sailing together and others visited each other in their home cities.

Now, when I sailed the second time on the same ship last year, we had a totally different complement of passengers comprised of a large number of non US passengers who didn't speak English as their first language and tended to travel in "groups" without mixing with the other passengers on board. Our M & G never really got off the ground with very little interaction of the passengers on CC. Some of us didn't even receive the invitation in our cabins until AFTER the gathering or else were given the wrong location. By the time we reached the correct location, the M & G was practically over. We also had a gift exchange with only a few participants. Plus, the staff the second time around really didn't schedule a lot of activities as the first staff did. The funny part was that we had almost 6 full sea days on the second sailing so there really wasn't any excuse for not scheduling more activities on board.

Both RCI and Celebrity have special arrangements to hold M & G's on sailings. With the other lines, is can vary greatly.

On Celebrity we had a group photo done with the CD who held a special sit down question and answer session for us at our M & G that was held in Michael's Club. It was reserved for our exclusive use and really helped the passengers get to know one another after months of corresponding on line.

Some M & G's turn out very well while others fail miserably.

If you want a good M & G, be active in your postings PRIOR to the sailing and have someone from the group step up and agree to handle the arrangements with the cruise line and request an officer or the CD or a member of the CD's staff be present at the M & G.

MARAPRINCE

Seal:

I thought you were on the Crown with us. ?????

tonyt

I am with you on the Crown--maybe I posted something incorrectly for you to question this--what we're doing is the Crown on the 16th then one night back in FLL then 7 days on the Emerald--maybe I messed up my posting and forgot where I was posting since I'm doing both at once.

Thanks again for taking the reins--so glad you did--now that we have some unexpected space with the up-grade maybe a party or sailaway if anyone wants.

Our roll call was trying to plan a meeting and we were told that we would now have to pay for the space and they sent a menu that would have to paid (by us) ahead of time....Whats with this? This is the first time that I have heard about this new policy.....Needless to say, that won;t happen and I guess maybe that is what they really want....saves them time....and a bit of food....oh well...

Our roll call was trying to plan a meeting and we were told that we would now have to pay for the space and they sent a menu that would have to paid (by us) ahead of time....Whats with this? This is the first time that I have heard about this new policy.....Needless to say, that won;t happen and I guess maybe that is what they really want....saves them time....and a bit of food....oh well...

From what I understand, this isn't a new policy, just one that is enforced inconsistently. If you run into this, just do what many will do as I suggested in my post above and have your roll callers bring some goodies from the buffet. Everyone can be responsible for their own drinks. And as Jenny says above in her excellent post, if officers attend your M&G, great. If not, don't take it personally. After all, the main point of the M&G is to finally meet your roll callers in person.

Told by who?

And as Jenny says above in her excellent post' date=' if officers attend your M&G, great. If not, don't take it personally. After all, the main point of the M&G is to finally meet your roll callers in person.[/quote']

Thanks for the kind word, Patty. I was actually afraid I might offend some folks or come across too angry, so it's nice to know that I'm not the only one who feels the way I do.

A nice size group has planned an M&G for our cruise on the Ruby in a little over a week. We're really fortunate that several regular post-ers have stepped up and done a great job coordinating - I'm really looking forward to it, and none of it depends on Princess to make sure we have a good event!

Thanks again!

Archived