Giving Seabourn another try

Pipkins

We have just made a reservation for Sojourn travelling Dover to Dover on the 20th June. Following one wonderful trip on Legend, and two on Pride, our fourth cruise, and number three, taken on Pride in 2009 was most disappointing. However, I have discussed this at length on this forum, so will not go back there...!!:)

Looking forward to our trip on Sojourn very much indeed, and hoping that she does not have the vibration problems we read about with Odyssey, and really exited about having a balcony this time.....any advice about the new ships would be wonderful.

Actually I thought the refurbishment came off a lot better than the photos might suggest.

We really missed you a Terri -- St. Barths was really in party high gear.

Water was a bit rough going and coming -- and we were up front in the OW -- but other than that a good two weeks.

When we passed the Odyssey I asked the spa girls if you were still on the boat and they said it was like you just left :-).

Our daughter had a great time. She was adopted by a nice British family for the excursions/events.

Daniel in the Veranda referred to Pam as his future mother-in-law. (!)

Our son was tied up on his new business start-up so it was just the three of us.

Did your event go well?

JB, I think the itinerary is the trump card -- such different experiences on the two ships this year.

Spirit Plusses

Relatively few one-weekers on the Spirit, much more club-like, almost all Seabourn veterans (true of passengers and staff), good mix of "celebrities-on-holiday and criminals-on-parole" (literallly true on this trip), staff working together very well. Minimal soot. Virtually no little kids. (If you have ten teams of ten playing trivia with mascots and specially-made team hats, you have an indication that this is not the passengers' first Seabourn rodeo.)

Odyssey Plusses

In tough weather the Odyssey is obvously more stable. The fun of a new ship. You and T.

JB, I think the itinerary is the trump card -- such different experiences on the two ships this year.

Spirit Plusses

Relatively few one-weekers on the Spirit, much more club-like, almost all Seabourn veterans (true of passengers and staff), good mix of "celebrities-on-holiday and criminals-on-parole" (literallly true on this trip), staff working together very well. Minimal soot. Virtually no little kids. (If you have ten teams of ten playing trivia with mascots and specially-made team hats, you have an indication that this is not the passengers' first Seabourn rodeo.)

Odyssey Plusses

In tough weather the Odyssey is obvously more stable. The fun of a new ship. You and T.

Yes Mr B all the right answers.

Just been conversing with JB the cruise director,he is joining the Sojourn on May 15th and maidening her.He is on until 15th Sept.

Can't decide between Sojourn and Legend in August.Care to join us?

Having crossed the Atlantic once on the old QE2(but never on one of the little sisters) in November I can tell there was some tossing around. Now in the case of that ship Sailor Boy tells me it iwas becsue it was an older ship with less sophisticated stabilizers. Regarding the QM2 I'm sure the stabilizers had been updated but perhaps Jane it had to do with where on the ship you were?

I thought Barry Hopkins was bringing out the Sojourn. That's what he said last year on the Spirit. Have things changed?

Yes jagi,

Barry is doing the world cruise on the Odyssey at the moment and returns to the UK shortly after for a well earned rest.

John Barron and his wife are expecting their second child very soon and then John brings out the Sojourn, to get a well earned rest.

Possibly, it was a nor'easter off the Carolinas in March, saiing north. I was on Deck 11 more aft than forward. Now, on the Pride it was so bouncy that the bedside tables were thrown away from the wall and on their sides. But as I traveled down to dinner on the QM it was still 'cling to the ropes and rails'.

Fortunately, neither episode harmed my appetite!

Jane

Were you aboard the Pride March Crossing in 2006 when we were hit by TWO rogue waves? Nobody was left standing! All glass items on the ship were broken ~~Captain later said, "I was proud of all of you.....extra good sports!" That was the year the Atlantic and King Neprune were both mad ~~:eek:

MB

John

Actually the Spirit's decor is quite chic and good lookin' ~~when I viewed the photos after her dry dock I thought "yikes!":confused: But, when I boarded in Dec. I changed my mind. The dining room is gorgeous! The Deck 8 Lounge, truly beautiful, as is the Club. Suites, very pretty and comfortable.

The Pride comes out of dry dock next week ~~not sure when the Legend goes in ~~ "Uncle Micky" is spending mega $$$'s on the 'lit Sister's ~~sorta tells us he'll keep 'em sailing for another 8-10 years! Yipppeeee ~~

Hope your UK weather has improved!

Martita B.

John

Actually the Spirit's decor is quite chic and good lookin' ~~when I viewed the photos after her dry dock I thought "yikes!":confused: But, when I boarded in Dec. I changed my mind. The dining room is gorgeous! The Deck 8 Lounge, truly beautiful, as is the Club. Suites, very pretty and comfortable.

The Pride comes out of dry dock next week ~~not sure when the Legend goes in ~~ "Uncle Micky" is spending mega $$$'s on the 'lit Sister's ~~sorta tells us he'll keep 'em sailing for another 8-10 years! Yipppeeee ~~

Hope your UK weather has improved!

Martita B.

Yes Martha,I suppose that the Spirit looks better in the flesh rather than in a picture.

I saw Uncle Micky in August on the Odyssey and I asked him about the future of the sisters.He told me that if people keep booking them then Carnival will keep running them.

Good for those of us that like the smaller vessels.

"Uncle" would not have considered spending millions on his "'lit jewels" had they not been making money for Carnival Corp!

I feel it'll be an "uphill" effort to keep the small ships afloat in the next couple of years but so many of us loyal Seabournites simply prefer the real Seabourn Yachts ~~~

Photos of the Spirit can not show the elegance of the decor.

Funny story.....in Dec. I had a new "outfit" ~~had splurged on the Odyssey last Nov. and purchased a gorgeous, one of a kind, Mary Francis evening bag ~~black satin with red silk roses. I bought it to go with an elegant evening top (black with a touch of glittering red roses) One evening I strolled in the Spirit Club to meet friends for cocktails ~~~CARUMBA! The Club's carpet: Black with red roses!!!

I matched!!! A lady sitting at the bar turned and said " how in the world did you know Seabourn was fashioning their new Spirit Club carpet in red roses????" Very sweetly I replied....."well, I have my ways..." :eek: Of course, I had NOT a clue as to the carpet design in the Club until I walked in!!! Truth remains "stranger than fiction!"

(sittin' in the Fish Bowl, my friends teased me as to matching perfectly with the Club rug!:p)

Martita B.

Archived