I am gonna climb the Rock Wall, any tips?

MopedMama

I love climbing and agree....

Use your legs not your arms, and try to stay with your body as close to the wall as possible.

(They provide shoes for climbing, but you must have socks on)

Don't be discouraged by a long line, it moves quickly :)

Also some of the crew working the wall are the singers and dancers. They are usually great to get to know.

Bobbie

When your forearms play out, it's over, so as a previous poster said, only use your arms as much as possible to position yourself, use your legs to climb. When you stop to rest, try to "lock off" or hang with your arm(s) extended, not flexed, that will rest your arms. Pay attention to the orientation of each hold, some are turned so that the best grip is not on top, but to one side (a side pull) or even on the bottom (an undercling). The underclings are especially important on overhangs. Occasionally you will have to "match hands" on the same hold, or match or swap feet with a little hop step.

Another useful move that is easy for beginners is the heel hook, where you use the heel of one foot to "grab" a hold at waist height or so to allow you to reach higher with a hand. The main thing is to start on the easy sections and grab any color (rainbowing) you need in order to climb. After you can rainbow the hardest wall, then you are ready to climb "routes" or single colors only. The easy routes (rated 5.6 - 5.7) will have large, easy to grip holds that are relatively close together; as the routes get harder (5.8 - 5.13), the holds are farther apart, or less "solid"; in other words, the holds don't have a pocket, or lip to wrap your fingers over, but may be rounded, and slope downward, requiring more grip strength, or only provide grip for the finger tips (crimpy).

Don't be discouraged by all of the above, the wall on a cruise ship is probably biased in the direction of fun, not technical prowess, so you will find something there that everyone can climb easily!

DH did it on the Mariner...never climbed anything before...I think they put the "newbies" in a certain place on the wall that is supposed to be easier..

He almost made it to the bell..let's just say I think his belly got in the way...he is 50+ also..I gave him credit for trying..(I chickened out!)and took lots of "flattering" pics!!

The line does move fast...

My advice is that once you get to the top take some time and take a good look around. The view is amazing. Some folks are so excited that they got to the top that they forget to take that few seconds up there and just head back down.

If you go to the easier section and tell them you have never done it before they can usually "HELP" you a little bit as you are climbing just let them know that you really want to make it to the top mostly on your own and if you are almost top the top just can't quite get there they can give you a little "help" My mom was doing teh wall and we really wanted her to make it at least half was as she is 60 years old and so without her knowledge she was "helped a little" However only experienced spotters know how to do this...

I'm getting psyched. I can already hear that bell ringing. :D Last year on my Panama Canal cruise, I waited till the last day to try to climb. It was rainy and windy that day and the wall was closed, boohoo. So I won't wait this time, I'll be in line the first day!

There are several color-coded tracks of varying difficulty. You would be well advised to try one of the easier first. When I did it on the Voyager, lines were long and the staff convinced me to start out on a harder one, and I didn't make it to the top.

The other posters' advice is right-on. You push up with your legs, and keep yourself balanced and close to the wall with your arms. And don't look down. Bon Ascent!

I tried it for the first time on the Mariner in September last year. It was a lot harder than I expected, but I made it to the top to ring the bell. My motivation? A 9 year old girl scrambled up to the top TWICE before I went up. "If a 9 year old can do it, I can do it" was my mantra! If your arms do get tired (and mine did), the guy at the bottom let me "float free" and had me shake my arms out while I was away from the wall. That was my opportunity to have a good look around as well. Didn't bother me to let go or to look down. He is paid to make sure I don't go plummeting to the floor! Otherwise, it was a great experience and I am glad I tried it (and have the pix to prove it, too!). But don't expect to see me up there next weekend! ;) :D

Theresa

You'll have an awesome time on the rock climbing call! I climbed the wall last year on the Sovereign when I was 16, and had a blast. I'm a high ropes course facilitator at a summer camp, so I'm accustomed to climibng, but I saw many kids and adults fly up the wall, even though they didn't have any climbing experience prior to that. My only advice is to maybe wear long pants, because when I climbed the wall I scraped some of the skin off my knee, and ended up having a scar there. It didn't hurt, but it did surprise me once I got off the wall!

Archived