The NEW I Work in Port Canaveral Thread!

psblin99

I agree with Preston....Beef O'Brady's is a good place for families and kids. Burgers, wings and other American comfort food. Over in the Publix shopping plaza. That would be my first pick, and I do take my family there.

However, you can also walk to the Cocoa Beach Pier (five minutes?), and there are a couple restaurants there with a view if you prefer. One is very informal and the other a little dressier. Both are physically on the pier. There are a couple others nearby that are more "bars", but have food, too.

There is even a Durango Steak House if you like that sort of thing, and a good breakfast place (I hear...never been in it)....both within a couple hundred yards.

Hope this helps

Johncn

I agree with Preston....Beef O'Brady's is a good place for families and kids. Burgers, wings and other American comfort food. Over in the Publix shopping plaza. That would be my first pick, and I do take my family there.

However, you can also walk to the Cocoa Beach Pier (five minutes?), and there are a couple restaurants there with a view if you prefer. One is very informal and the other a little dressier. Both are physically on the pier. There are a couple others nearby that are more "bars", but have food, too.

There is even a Durango Steak House if you like that sort of thing, and a good breakfast place (I hear...never been in it)....both within a couple hundred yards.

Hope this helps

Johncn

Just for everyone information - Durango's closed their doors about a month ago :(

You have Boston Seafood, of course the CB Pier which seems to be a favorite for a lot of folks unless it is freezing cold, across the street as Preston mentioned the strip mall

You would have to walk South for a little bit to find other restaurants.

Just for everyone information - Durango's closed their doors about a month ago :(

Really? I didn't know. Sorry about that. I had never eaten there, just knew it was there in a theoretical sense. Ooops. ;-)

Thanks, Shirley.

Johncn

I talked to the hotel we will be staying at after our upcoming Monarch cruise....we leave the day the shuttle may launch....so will hang around the hotel to see if it will launch...then head home.....shuttle is to launch on November 1st 4:40 p.m.

Lou

You may want to stay the night. The traffic will be terrible.

Yep thought about that but rooms are all booked everywhere...we didn't know it when we booked the Thunderbirds show weekend....so anyway we have a 10+ hour trip....so have reservations in Savannah...we will "muck" our way there to sleep over...then travel on. However, anyone's thoughts will help...after the launch....we would leave and head out past the port to I-95....figure no short cuts....OR is this one of those things....head south thru Cocoa Beach and then over to I-95 then up the Interstate in order to avoid the entrance ramps? We don't mind going south to go north.

Lou

Yep thought about that but rooms are all booked everywhere...we didn't know it when we booked the Thunderbirds show weekend....so anyway we have a 10+ hour trip....so have reservations in Savannah...we will "muck" our way there to sleep over...then travel on. However, anyone's thoughts will help...after the launch....we would leave and head out past the port to I-95....figure no short cuts....OR is this one of those things....head south thru Cocoa Beach and then over to I-95 then up the Interstate in order to avoid the entrance ramps? We don't mind going south to go north.

Lou

No telling. With the programs winding down more and more are coming here. I would just go straight to 95.

I have had numerous emails about the shuttle launch in November so please be advised of the following - first we are coming to the last of our shuttle launches and with each one, the whole area becomes more and more overwhelmed with a great deal of traffic and to make it even worse, tempers flare with the waiting lines - Because the launch is in the afternoon AND a Monday, you will also be faced with folks going/coming to/from work which also has to be included - the best bet is if you decide you won't be staying overnight, make sure you bring enough food & supplies, etc to last at least 2 to 4 hours after the launch especially if there are children - they can get bored just waiting around - I know darn well since I have been here to see just about every launch and decided years ago, I would watch it from home since it would take me over 2 hours to go less than 3 miles from home and with 5 kids plus neighbor's kids and dogs in the car, I told myself no darn way was I going to fight that again :) - once you are caught in the traffic, there is no way out.

The launches are so magical that you are caught with so many emotions. You will never ever regret watching a launch and live is like being "right there". Just remember to take all precautions to make your trip here a happy and safe one. I am constantly asked where is the best place to watch the launch and my answer is anywhere here is good especially on the beach. Post #295 has excellent advise on the launches and if you need help, that is the place to go.

Enjoy yourself while here and good luck in all your choices and endeavors.

Shirley please enjoy your vacation!

Good morning Preston - "Key West, we may have a problem getting down to see you"

hey friend - looks like and we just don't know yet, but it may appear Key West will be getting lots of rain this weekend and if that is so, I rather be here at home than in a motel surrounded with rain storms :( - I mean I was born and raised down there and not concern with the weather, but if I am going to pay to stay in a room, might as well be here.

Will keep ya posted.

Am going to the fair tonight for there are going to be some cruisers there I am going to meet up with IF we can recognize each other - Have you gone by the fair at Our Savior yet? MY gosh it looks like it is better than last year - traffic was wall to wall trying to come home from enjoying sushi at Siam Orchids last night AND folks running across the street with no regards to traffic SO PEOPLE if you are attending, please be very very careful and listen to all the patrol officers and crossing lights ok?

I have not been posting too much so I could completely finish working on the new updated of post #295 - added quite a bit of stuff so its going to be pretty neat when it is completed - I didn't realize the information was over 25 pages until I printed it out so am trying to number the pages so if anyone wants to print them out, they can just print the pages they want - it may take me a while longer since I AM NOT COMPUTER SMART ;)

Preston thanks from the heart for coming "home" and being such a great friend to a bunch of great folks who have become friends - YOU ARE SO WELCOMED BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (if only for a little while for I want to respect your wishes, but still love ya my friend - you do an awesome job and I sometimes really need your sense of humor here.

Hugssssssss

Shirley

I hope Shirley has a great vacation. I will try to fill in why she is gone.

Let me tell you it is beautiful here this weekend. All my windows are open.

Ask away!

My dear friend Preston - you started the first thread that was so popular, everyone had to join in if only to find out about what was going on here in Port Canaveral - when the first one was closed down, you started the new one and so glad you will be here to help all of our visitors that need our help.

Will be leaving tomorrow but got so much to do before I go so will tell you so long for now and Blessings be with you and the entire board

hugsssssssssssssss to you my friend

Going to Key West, meet up with old time friends, visit all the places or what is left of them and have a Bahama Mama while doing so ;) -

My dear friend Preston - you started the first thread that was so popular, everyone had to join in if only to find out about what was going on here in Port Canaveral - when the first one was closed down, you started the new one and so glad you will be here to help all of our visitors that need our help.

Will be leaving tomorrow but got so much to do before I go so will tell you so long for now and Blessings be with you and the entire board

hugsssssssssssssss to you my friend

Going to Key West, meet up with old time friends, visit all the places or what is left of them and have a Bahama Mama while doing so ;) -

Have fun!

Hi:

We will be arriving at Port Canaveral by cruise ship next month and would like to spend some time at a nice beach where we can rent a chair and umbrella. Do you have any suggestions? Also, do any of the oceanfront hotels near by have day passes?

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Hi:

We will be arriving at Port Canaveral by cruise ship next month and would like to spend some time at a nice beach where we can rent a chair and umbrella. Do you have any suggestions? Also, do any of the oceanfront hotels near by have day passes?

Thanks & regards,

Arlene

Arlene

I am not aware of any day passes but can steer you to a couple of good beaches. My favorite is Jetty Park www.jettypark.org. It has all you might need. Also around the Cocoa Beach pier where you have more food and shopping choices.

My DH and I will be in Port Canaveral on 11/29/2010. We have tickets to the space center. Is there any other way to get to the space center other than renting a car, we weretold no car rentals at the port and horror stories about trying return cars and getting back to ship. Thanks for any help you can give us.

My DH and I will be in Port Canaveral on 11/29/2010. We have tickets to the space center. Is there any other way to get to the space center other than renting a car, we weretold no car rentals at the port and horror stories about trying return cars and getting back to ship. Thanks for any help you can give us.

I am sure some of the shuttle companies could take you. A cab ride would be expensive. Honestly renting a car is easy and getting there is only 1 right hand turn.