Naples: Choosing NCL Shore Excursion Is Driving Me CRAZY!!

ajtraveler66

I am convinced that our day in Naples is going to be one of the best days on the cruise.

But deciding which places to see while at port is about to drive me CRAZY!!

There are the ruins of Pompeii. Then there is the Amalfi Coast. There is the city of Positano. There is Sorrento. There is Capri.

I've never been there, but Sorrento just sounds so restful. And many of the excursions on our ship (NCL Jade) include Sorrento in the mix.

For those of you who have taken a shore excursion with NCL out of Naples, which one(s) would you recommend.

And I know there are many of you out there who will recommend that we skip the ship's shore excursions and hire our own private driver. That WILL NOT be an option for us.

If you look at a map of the area, you'll see how far apart all of these places are. I know it's hard, but I think it would help if you could prioritize which places are most important to you, then pick the excursion that focuses on them.

If you try and cram in too many places, you'll spend most of your day in a bus, or waiting for stragglers to get on the bus, rather than seeing what you are there for.

You can't go wrong with any of them, IMHO.

A couple years ago we were on the Gem and did the Pompeii and Sorrento trip. It was very nice. But, if you decide to do this I would recommend that you skip the first stop that NCL has that takes you to the wooden box demo and just head to the side streets of Sorrento and walk around.

We wasted so much time on the demo and missed a lot of the shops and sights that Sorrento offered. Just ask the guide where you should meet and what time and head out on your own.

A couple years ago we were on the Gem and did the Pompeii and Sorrento trip. It was very nice. But, if you decide to do this I would recommend that you skip the first stop that NCL has that takes you to the wooden box demo and just head to the side streets of Sorrento and walk around.

We wasted so much time on the demo and missed a lot of the shops and sights that Sorrento offered. Just ask the guide where you should meet and what time and head out on your own.

This is one of the main reasons why I avoid the ship's excursions, unless I absolutely can't figure out something else. It infuriates me that, after charging a fairly high price for the excursion, they waste my time at some factory outlet, dressed up as a "learning" experience. Please - I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

Archived