Tell me about your experience renting a car in Naples

maidut

We are re-thinking our plans and may hire a car in the port of Naples. We want to see Pompeii and drive along the Amalfi coast. My DH likes the freedom having a car offers.

So, I am weighing all our options. I was set on hiring a driver, and we may still do that, but I want to hear about your experience with driving in this region.

Thanks!

If you could get outside Naples and rent a car that might be one thing. But there's no way I'd drive in Naples; the traffic is abominable and the drivers are nuts (in that way that only Italian drivers can be -- as in, "I see an inch of space and I'm going to wedge my car into it.")

I've rented cars and driven in Naples four different times; it is not, as Cynthia says, for those who are easily spooked.

If, on the other hand, your husband likes to drive, is reasonably patient as well as reasonably willing to take a risk, it's not so bad.

The first time we rented from a location near the Mergellina metro station - it was a last minute decision and we went with the familiar (I think it was Hertz). Since then we've rented several times from a place on Via Santa Lucia (I'm not sure of the name, there are two names that are really close, Euro Car and Europecar, or something like that). The Via Santa Lucia location is about a ten or fifteen minute walk from the port. I rented from there once when traveling with a friend (female, in her mid sixties) and she drove from there out of Naples; she was anxious, but she did it.

Traffic is nuts in Naples, and drivers tend to make up the rules as they go along. In my experience, it's not all that different from midtown Manhattan; but I've been driving there since I was a teenager, so maybe I've built up driving scar tissue. :rolleyes:

Having done the Amalfi Drive with private car and driver, IMHO this is the best way to go. I would not want to drive this road myself and we love renting cars-and the one who is driving will definitely not see much with the traffic and hairpin turns. And if you want to get out and walk around in one of the lovely towns and sightsee or have lunch/shop, parking rates would be out of sight, assuming you can even find a parking lot!

It's true that the driver doesn't get to enjoy the view as much as the passengers, but to each his own, as they say. My cousin preferred to drive, he enjoyed his experience of the Amalfi coast as much as we did, just in his own way.

The traffic and parking thing depends on the time of year. The first time we drove there it was the third week of October. No traffic and free parking on the street; the downside was that many restaurants had already closed for the season.

We found it same same in October the year before last.

As suggested, if you can avoid driving in Naples, do so. My wife and I almost got divorced over our driving experience in Naples years ago. Traffic is crazy, crosswalks are lanes for motorini, and red lights are "optional." I do not exaggerate - My wife got yelled at for NOT running a red light by the two cars behind us!

Naples is by far my least favoite city to drive in... and I ride a motorino EVERY DAY in Rome... But each time we head south, and my freinds toss me the car keys, (because "You live in downtown Rome and you should be used to it") I cringe. My last experience was hauling a gang of Embassy friends in an extended-cab Chrysler Town and Country Van. We had to fold the side mirrors in to avoid getting them knocked off by passing motorini and oncoming traffic!

That said, we LOVE to drive the Amalfi. In fact, we usually just drive down the autostrada and AVOID Naples! Once on the Amalfi coast we enjoy the freedom of stopping when we want (Parking spot be damned - I live in Italy where "flashers" make everything legal!) Driving the coastline on a motorino is a wonderful, albeit sometimes scary, sensation! We have a rule that the driver MUST NOT attempt to enjoy the scenery.

So if you are a ASSERTIVE driver, then Naples is definitely your heaven. And if you enjoy incredible scenery, then Amalfi is your comfort. Once out of Naples, you'll enjoy the drive! Click here for a few pictures of "driving on the Amalfi."

Having been raised in New York City, driving in Naples is lots of fun for me. A local gave me these instructions: the only cars that matter are the ones in front of you. Drive faster than the cars next to you and then you are in front of them. Slow down but do not stop for red lights. If you do these things the other drivers will respect you.

I have been to Naples several times and found these instructions to be true. But if you don't have nerves of steel and lots of big city driving experience, it's definitely not something you want to take on!

Archived