embarrasing weight question!

catharina

Those couches aren't very large. I think the OP might find herself with the same problem, different details in such a cabin.

A handicapped cabin, though, is a good idea -- if the OP's father qualifies.

There are no HC cabins that accomodate four. and so even if there were room for a roll away or whatever, they still could not book the cabin.

Hi guys

Sail7seas: my dad is not eligible for a leaking heart valve operation unfortunately. First because his heart is so bad from the chemo he had, that they simply are afraid they won't get it going again during surgery. Second, because he is terminally ill with cancer.

But mostly the first reason, this was mentioned before we knew he was terminal.

To the other persons:

it is NOT because of his age! I do not know where you get this from but here in Holland people get treatments at whatever age. I must say after what I have seen in the film Sicko, I am quit glad with our system over here. But this is a completely different topic :-)

IMPORTANT NEWS:

We had mum and dad over for dinner and decided to discuss it. I wanted to make it a surprise, but it would be a shame if they did not want it after all or if my father felt he would not be up for it in 2 months time. Luckily, they were very happy with our offer! Dad had to cry! :-)

He is so happy he gets to do this trip with us!

We decided to take 2 insides. MSC currently has a special deal in europe: 2nd person for 1 euro. So that will work out quit okay for us! It will be so great to spend this time togehther and have a real adventure!

Now i have to start saving lots of money and working extra shifts to pay for all of this, but hey: we are going!!!!!

IPlease do get the travel insurance , it is an additional expense , but well worth it if you have difficulties away from home. Good Luck

Cori

I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but I doubt you would get travel insurance for your Father with his severe pre existing conditions. , and you just can't travel without it, especially as you say, his time is already undetermined.

I already checked this with our travel insurance.

We can cancel the trip if his disease deteriorates so much that a doctor says he should not travel.

I checked it just in case, but thanks for the tip.

that's good, I was worried for you, as that's one scenario you don't want to even imagine...especially if money is already tight.

Good luck, and make a beautiful memory.:)

Hi guys

Sail7seas: my dad is not eligible for a leaking heart valve operation unfortunately. First because his heart is so bad from the chemo he had, that they simply are afraid they won't get it going again during surgery. Second, because he is terminally ill with cancer.

But mostly the first reason, this was mentioned before we knew he was terminal.

To the other persons:

it is NOT because of his age! I do not know where you get this from but here in Holland people get treatments at whatever age. I must say after what I have seen in the film Sicko, I am quit glad with our system over here. But this is a completely different topic :-)

IMPORTANT NEWS:

We had mum and dad over for dinner and decided to discuss it. I wanted to make it a surprise, but it would be a shame if they did not want it after all or if my father felt he would not be up for it in 2 months time. Luckily, they were very happy with our offer! Dad had to cry! :-)

He is so happy he gets to do this trip with us!

We decided to take 2 insides. MSC currently has a special deal in europe: 2nd person for 1 euro. So that will work out quit okay for us! It will be so great to spend this time togehther and have a real adventure!

Now i have to start saving lots of money and working extra shifts to pay for all of this, but hey: we are going!!!!!

I truly hope you don't believe everything you see in the movies. Sicko is a piece of propaganda made by an amateur film maker with an agenda. Healthcare here in the U.S. is very good. In fact, there is currently another thread running about someone's Mom being gravely ill in Mexico and she is about to be transferred to some kind of indigent hospital because she cannot pay for medical care up front. This scenario would never happen in the U.S. Everyone, and that includes those who are not even citizens get medical care if they need it. We actually have laws that enforce it.

Also, keep in mind that Michael Moore also made that dumb film about McDonalds. I know of no one here who eats three meals a day at McDonalds-or even three times a month. Again, dumb propaganda by a liberal with an agenda. Don't take these things so seriously.

None of my business perhaps, but I would barrow money to finance this trip if I had to and get 2 adjoining cabins. My father recently passed and I regret we never got to take him to Africa, his dream trip.

I think you would never regret barrowing for this trip, but you would always regret not taking it.

Hope you have a GREAT time whatever you do!:)

Also, keep in mind that Michael Moore also made that dumb film about McDonalds. I know of no one here who eats three meals a day at McDonalds-or even three times a month. Again, dumb propaganda by a liberal with an agenda. Don't take these things so seriously.

OFF TOPIC:

Sorry, but you are misinformed. The movie you are referring to, "Super Size Me", was written by, directed by, and stars Morgan Spurlock. Michael Moore had nothing to do with this one. Additionally, although you may have found it "dumb", it was nominated for numerous awards, including an Academy Award for Best Documentary.

OFF TOPIC:

Sorry, but you are misinformed. The movie you are referring to, "Super Size Me", was written by, directed by, and stars Morgan Spurlock. Michael Moore had nothing to do with this one. Additionally, although you may have found it "dumb", it was nominated for numerous awards, including an Academy Award for Best Documentary.

Yes, you're right. Still, a dumb movie-regardless of how many awards it received.

Hi Cori

we are in the south near border of Belgium.

We would drive to Lille (northern france) in 2 hours and take the TGV train there which would take is to Marseille in 4,5 hours, first class. Not to bad!

2 hours to Lille. I wonder how long it would take for you to drive to Southampton Uk via Eurotunnel. Not sure what cruises leave Southampton during your time frame though.

Hi guys

Sail7seas: I do not know where you get this from but here in Holland people get treatments at whatever age. I must say after what I have seen in the film Sicko, I am quit glad with our system over here. But this is a completely different topic :-)

Same here in the Uk. If you need the treatment and are likely to survive it then you get it, not always immediately unless it is an emergency but you do get the treatment.

Sublime,

re this statement: she is about to be transferred to some kind of indigent hospital because she cannot pay for medical care up front. This scenario would never happen in the U.S. Everyone, and that includes those who are not even citizens get medical care if they need it. We actually have laws that enforce it.

I see you live in Texas, and I am shocked that you are not aware that this happens daily in our great state. I personally know of two different situations where this has happened, one is happening right now. A male paraplegic friend who normally manages to drive himself to work to two different jobs found himself in the hospital with complications from bed sores, exhausted his Medicare hospital coverage in December at one of the best known hospitals in Houston, and on the day it exhausted he was transferred.

A person without insurance in this great state can only be seen at county hospitals, and that normally involves a wait of many hours, even in dire circumstances. It doesn't matter if a 3 year old kid has 105 degree temperature, he will be turned away from any non-county facility.

It is shocking to me that you would make such ignorant statements. Do some research before you make claims like that.:mad:

Sublime,

re this statement: she is about to be transferred to some kind of indigent hospital because she cannot pay for medical care up front. This scenario would never happen in the U.S. Everyone, and that includes those who are not even citizens get medical care if they need it. We actually have laws that enforce it.

I see you live in Texas, and I am shocked that you are not aware that this happens daily in our great state. I personally know of two different situations where this has happened, one is happening right now. A male paraplegic friend who normally manages to drive himself to work to two different jobs found himself in the hospital with complications from bed sores, exhausted his Medicare hospital coverage in December at one of the best known hospitals in Houston, and on the day it exhausted he was transferred.

A person without insurance in this great state can only be seen at county hospitals, and that normally involves a wait of many hours, even in dire circumstances. It doesn't matter if a 3 year old kid has 105 degree temperature, he will be turned away from any non-county facility.

It is shocking to me that you would make such ignorant statements. Do some research before you make claims like that.:mad:

It depends on where you live. In some states like Massachusetts citizens get what they need and even a well known hospital like Mass General says those who make under x amount aren't responsible to pay. My stepdaughter knows someone who goes there every time they need to see a doctor.

Hi Guys

I am trying to get money together to buy my parents a cruise, and we'll go with 4 adults.

Looking to save money, I am looking at 4 people in 1 stateroom.

However: mum and dad won't be able to get in the upper berths.

My husband can, he will be fine. But I am quite overweight!

Is there a weight limit for upper berths (and what is that limit)?

and how do you get in and out of that bed? (for several toilet visits at night)

PFF the more I think about it, the less the idea of 4 people in a stateroom appeals to me!

But I want to give this for dad's 65th birthday in march, he is terminally ill but dreams of once making a cruise in the Med. I want to fullfill this dream but paying for 4 people including train, tips and drinks is quite a chunk of money :-(

Greetings from Holland

Cat

ps anybody have a picture of rooms with upper berths?

Hello Cat,

Sometimes it is best to call the cruise line you are wanting to use and tell them how many people that will be in your cabin and they may have a sugggestion and can give you prices. Some ships charges very little for the 3rd and 4th person in the same cabin. We starteded taking my father in-law 80 yrs old on our cruises, and he loves it. We are going to Alaska in May and went with a mini suite and it just cost us a little bit more, and we are getting a lot more space. I hope the trip works out for you and your parents as I am sure this will be a wonderful family trip that you will make memories to last you a lifetime. Best wishes and safe traveling for you and your parents.

Dollie

(Jannett)

Hi Catharina,

How wonderful that you have found a MSC cruise that will work out for you and your parents!

I wish you, your husband and your parents a wonderful time especially since you said that it is truly a 'dream' cruise for your Dad. May all the memories that you create be joyous, memorable ones! And a wish that your Dad's health enables him to enjoy every moment!

Happy, happy sailing!

Betty

PS...perhaps after the cruise you will come back here to CC and tell us a little about how you all enjoyed it!

Sublime,

You are the ignorant one. I happen to be an R.N. so I know very well how it's done. By law, a person who is unstable cannot be transferred to a county hospital because they don't have insurance. Bed sores generally are not going to be a life or death situation. Also, did you happen to know that many of the best hospitals in Houston have tax exempt status in exchange for providing a percentage of indigent care. These hospitals HAVE to provide even non emergency care to indigents to keep this status.

A child with a fever of 105 should have been seen in a doctor's office. All too often people use the ER as a source of primary care instead of what it's really for-emergencies.

You are the ignorant one. I happen to be an R.N. so I know very well how it's done. By law, a person who is unstable cannot be transferred to a county hospital because they don't have insurance. Bed sores generally are not going to be a life or death situation. Also, did you happen to know that many of the best hospitals in Houston have tax exempt status in exchange for providing a percentage of indigent care. These hospitals HAVE to provide even non emergency care to indigents to keep this status.

A child with a fever of 105 should have been seen in a doctor's office. All too often people use the ER as a source of primary care instead of what it's really for-emergencies.

now just WHAT was the title on this thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:

it WAS about ....a girl asking about how much weight can a bed hold!!

Well, technically weight is a health-related question LOL ;-)

Really, I do not know enough about your health care system other than what I see on TV so I won't judge it. But I just wanted to state that I am happy with ours , as someone said my dad would not get his heart operation here due to his age. Not true, but totally different topic. I won't get on about it anymore. At this moment we are just happy to be living in such a good country and not Haiti or something, where my dad surely would not have had the treatments he has had the last 3 years for his cancer! We all are rich indeed, compared to 3/4 of the world.

No kidding guys, you were most helpful (once again)

So yesterday evening I booked the train tickets!!! They were quit cheap at 85 euros per person first class. Now I am wainting to see if i qualify for an additional discount for the cruise, if not we will take the 2nd person 1 euro deal for 2 inside cabins.

Dad was just over the moon when we told him yesterday, he could not stop crying (and really, I have only seen him cry 3 times in my life) :-)

I always promised I would take him to RIO, his dream destination (not in the last place because of the skant bikinis at copacabana beach ;-) ) but since he can't fly, that is out of the question,. But this was also a dream of his, unattainable due to their financial situation. so we are happy now

I will surely come back and tell you how it was. After many years wanting to cruise, we will finally be making our first cruise! (and i myself am making 2 in one month, that's a bit overdoing it huh? LOL I am taking a 4 day cruise with girfriends in april with Aida)

THANK YOU guys!

Should anyone have more tips to save money or make this the best cruise experience ever, let us know!

Love from snowy Holland (another thing I only saw 3 times in my life)

Cat

now just WHAT was the title on this thread :rolleyes::rolleyes:

it WAS about ....a girl asking about how much weight can a bed hold!!

I know, but I didn't start it. I'm excited for the OP and her father. I sure hope she comes back to let us know how the cruise went.

Unfortunately, countries with socialized healthcare systems often ration care based on age. At best, you may be placed on a waiting list for treatment. Sail, it is one of my greatest fears that we may also be heading in that direction.[/quote

I've heard of this, several years ago, but it proved to be an urban myth. Certainly never met it in the UK, except for the well-publicised case of the kidney transplant which was given to a young person when an old homeless man was waiting.......and that was many years ago.

Every old person we have ever dealt with has had exemplary care, be they 80, or in MIL's case, 95.

Waiting lists are normally for eg.hip replacements, or cataracts, which are usually for the elderly anyway. It depends on how many beds/Drs are available, and whether the person can travel to another area. If there is a waiting time for a heart valve, then the person would have it explained, but it would never be for age, unless there was an age related issue about recovery. Age-ism is as illegal as any other discrimination.

jocap.

Archived