price assurance guarantees

sprph

anyone ever utilize the price assurance guarantee, it seems like a reasonable deal, ie on a european flight?

Not sure about a European flight, but on AS/Alaska Air, if the price goes down, you can request a voucher for the difference. Now that's customer service!

OP- More explanation on the Orbitz price guarantee: The lower price must be on the same day of travel, same flights, and same fare code. Short of interviewing everyone on the plane, it's nearly impossible to find out who meets that criteria and how much they paid. A great marketing gimmick as discussed on many forums when Orbitz first announced it.

One tip- definitely use Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. to check fares and schedules. When you find ones that work for you, check the airline(s) direct websites. Usually the fare will be identical if not $10-20 lower. By cutting out the "middleman" you save their markup and also avoid finger-pointing if something goes amok with your reservation.

OP- More explanation on the Orbitz price guarantee: The lower price must be on the same day of travel, same flights, and same fare code. Short of interviewing everyone on the plane, it's nearly impossible to find out who meets that criteria and how much they paid. A great marketing gimmick as discussed on many forums when Orbitz first announced it.
I think that one of the other conditions is that someone else must have bought a ticket at the lower price after you buy yours. It's generally regarded as a gimmick because the chances of all of those things happening is actually vanishingly small.

• 1 month later...

I got a rebate check from Orbitz for $48.76. My flight was on Air Berlin(LTU) JFK-DUS-FCO. The trip was Oct 27, check was sent in early December.

Promotion: ORBITZ Price Assurance(SM)

Submission Type: Orbitz Program

Date Received: 11-06-2009

Check Number: 18175779

Refund Amount: $48.76 check

Check Issue Date: 11-19-2009

Status Detail: Your refund is valid. Please allow up to 8 weeks from the day you completed your travel to receive your refund.

I see this guarantee discussed on several boards; don't recall anyone reporting they got any money back. Note another person must take your exact same flights, in same fare bucket, etc.

And whilst the price of the ticket may change the repricing of the fare bucket (something required to benefit from this) is exceptionally rare. I'm surprised we've got two people who have received checks, at a guess I'd say the chance of getting a rebate are less then 0.01%.

• 2 weeks later...
As I read it, though, you have to find the better price and make the claim within twenty-four hours of having made the original reservation, don't you? Seems like a waste - if you've already done your homework, this won't help you.

No, you must be thinking of a different program.

With this, you dont have to do anything after your initial reservation. If you book a flight and later someone else books the same flight at a lower rate you automatically get a refund. You dont have to check rates or fill out any forms. They will notify you and cut you a check about a month or so after your trip.

Archived