First time cruiser on the Dawn. Need some suggestions...

CaitMarae

My fiance and I are planning a cruise to Bermuda for our honeymoon in May 2011. Neither of us have ever been on a cruise before so we could use some help. Maybe I'm nuts but I want to do everything I can to get the best rate but more importantly the best experience.

Were on a pretty tight budget so we would probably choose an inside room, unless we could get something more for a similar price. We figure we probably wont be spending all that much time in the room. Yes, I know we'll be on our honeymoon but lets just say we've both "been there" and "done that". In your opinion, will we be missing out tremendously if we dont spring for the more expensive cabins?

What activities/shows/restaurants would you suggest that we have to do/see on the ship? Are there any that we shouldn't even consider?

Also, we will be leaving from NYC. Maybe its a weird question, but when disembarking, which side of the ship should we try to get our room on (only if we decide to spring for a balcony) to see the best sights when leaving NY?

Thanks so much for any help!

My fiance and I are planning a cruise to Bermuda for our honeymoon in May 2011. Neither of us have ever been on a cruise before so we could use some help. Maybe I'm nuts but I want to do everything I can to get the best rate but more importantly the best experience.

Were on a pretty tight budget so we would probably choose an inside room, unless we could get something more for a similar price. We figure we probably wont be spending all that much time in the room. Yes, I know we'll be on our honeymoon but lets just say we've both "been there" and "done that". In your opinion, will we be missing out tremendously if we dont spring for the more expensive cabins?

What activities/shows/restaurants would you suggest that we have to do/see on the ship? Are there any that we shouldn't even consider?

Also, we will be leaving from NYC. Maybe its a weird question, but when disembarking, which side of the ship should we try to get our room on (only if we decide to spring for a balcony) to see the best sights when leaving NY?

We have no problems staying in a inside room, however we perfer the Balcony. If it is going to be your honeymoon I would get a balcony.

If you would like to see NYC on your way out of port you need to get a room on the port side of the ship. If you don't book a Balcony try to have dinner early and request a table by the windows, Or just go outside Watch.

If you're not going to spend time in your room, then why are you worried about the sights when you leave NYC? (Besides, you'll be EMbarking...not DISembarking! :p) That's the BEST time to be out on deck, or up in the highest level open area you can get to (I've forgotten the name of the bar) where there will be lots of others enjoying the scenery as well!

I personally could not stay in an inside room -- I don't like sleeping in a closet! -- but I really have never made use of a balcony, and probably won't book one again. But a room with a window is important to me.

The shows are for the most part, free -- so you probably want to get to as many of them as you can, if you like that sort of thing! As for the restaurants, we spent a lot of time examining the menus (they're posted in the main atrium area) before deciding which one...and ended up in two. Watch your daily newspaper, too -- sometimes they've offered 2 for one specials, or 1/2 off specials, at the specialty restaurants during certain times.

Have a great cruise..and I wish you a long and happy marriage! :)

We always sail with inside cabins. We just do not spend that much time in a cabin to justify paying more. The ship arrives everywhere at the same time no matter what kind of cabin you get. lol

For the sailaway out of NYC you want to head up topside for the sailaway party. From the top of the ship you can see all of New York as you leave as well as the Statue of Liberty before you head under the Verrazano bridge.

There is plenty to do on board the ship. Check out the daily newsletter (Freestyle Daily) to learn about show times and other activities.

The Dawn is a beautiful ship (good choice). The inside staterooms accomidate two people very well in my opinion, so if you don't plan on being in the room too much I wouldnt pay for the upgrade. There is always so much to do that I never spend a lot of time in the rooms while crusing. The main dining rooms are free of charge and offer some great meals (book early though because, if you just head over to get a table for dinner you may end up waiting a while). If you're a soda drinker, the soda program is the way to go. Take part in the gameshows, they are a blast! Although the pictures are a bit pricey, they would make a nice keepsake (you can even dress up formal and have shots done). Don't forget about the daily surcharge (make sure to budget for it). Take lots of pictures, and enjoy!!

We just came back from the Western Caribbean cruise on the Dawn--loved it. My mother traveled with my husband and me so we opted for a pricer cabin--got a penthouse with the 2nd bedroom and bath--it was perfect for us. We've been married for 40 years but this cruise was like a second honeymoon so we really enjoyed having a private room and bath.;)

Also--we are fairly low key people who like having a quiet retreat from the noise and bustle of the ship so we really loved the opportunity to have a large enough cabin to relax in. Room service is included in the cost of the penthouse which we did use. And we were treated like royalty by the butler and concierge.

The entertainment we enjoyed the most--husband and wife team named Jose and Patti--they are very talented and sang a wide range of songs. Had a Neil Diamond night and then a 50s-60s night--excellent both times. We also saw some of the new show--Bollywood--very impressive. The leaving port party was fun although it was cool and windy

Whatever cabin you decide on, I'm sure you will love the cruise. I am writing a longer review of our cruise which I hope to post in the next day or two--I'll be giving more details on the best and worst of our cruise.

If you go to Hamilton remember most stores and businesses close by 5. The best beaches are on the southwest shores take the #7 bus. Get the transportation pass for 2-3 days and enjoy unlimited bus and ferry usage. Horseshoe Bay is excellent, but the water may be cold (low 70s) in may.

I have stayed in inside cabins of 172 sq ft on another cruise line which were fine, and on NCl, on Dawn, one of only 145 sq ft. where we could not put the beds together (configured for a party of 4, with one pull down and one trundle. Well, I guess we could have used the trundle to be together, but it would have been wall to wall bed! Very little "walking" room. The bathrooms are well laid out, though, with a shower door, not a curtain which is nice. The prices for these insides ranged from $299 to $899 for 7 nights.

I'd suggest you subscribe to as many on line cruise emails as you can. You'll get notices of sales and you'll be able to compare not only prices, but any extras offered, like a bottle of wine, or an onboard credit etc.

But you will still have access to everything everyone else on the ship has access to, for the most part. I've read that some items are being removed from inside and ocean view cabins (coffee makers specifically). And there are no bathrobes provided for these categories on Dawn, either. Actually, you might only need the bathrobe if you had a balcony, and they provide them for balconies.

I've stayed in a 185 sq ft ocean view on another line and that was big feeling, and a 145 sq ft on Norwegian which didn't have walking room, either, but at least the bed was a double. These cabins ranged in price between $525 (Bermuda on NCL Majesty) and $799 on HAL for 7 nights.

Be sure to check the symbols showing what furniture is in the room, like a couch or not, if it sleeps many so you know there'll be a hang down bed etc. If in doubt about whether the particular cabin you choose has "moveable" beds, please ask before you go so you are not disappointed. In most cases if the bed is set up as 2 singles the steward can push them together, but be sure!

Also, if you go for a balcony, be sure to check the size of the balcony. They can vary. Make them get specific. The size of the balcony does matter. A balcony allows your cabin to feel as if it has two rooms. One can go out on the balcony while the other is sleeping, getting ready for dinner etc. It's really nice to have it. Some people like to eat breakfast there, or enjoy a cocktail in a private atmosphere.

I've stayed in a 192, 172 and 136 sq ft balconies, the last on NCL on Pride of America, where one of us had to leave the room so the other could unpack. It's that tight. But it is certainly doable! And I've stayed in a minisuite of 255 sq ft. So I've run the gammut except for full suites. I'll not quote balcony prices because some were not 7 nights, but longer and shorter.

My point is that there are bargains out there if the timing is right. The trouble is, no one knows when the price is going to be its lowest unless you wait until after final payment, hoping they'll be rock bottom. And then IF there are cabins, you won't have much choice in their location. If location does not matter, then that is one thing to chance, for a low price.

Another way to get a "best price" is to book a guarantee if the guarantee is less than the fixed cabin price. For instance, on Dawn, if you book say the lowest category, N, guarantee you will get at least an N, but possibly a higher inside category. But you won't have a claim on a certain cabin.

And a "higher" inside cabin means literally that. It will be higher in the ship. There will be no difference in service or size unless you happen to be assigned an "odd" cabin that is larger. It is rare that you would be given an outside, for instance.

The reason I mention size is that until you get up to 172 or more sq ft the cabin is going to feel small. Saying that, they are usually well laid out and you will find a place for everything.

I find that the location of my cabin matters as much as its size and category. I like to be near the restaurants and spa, so I like to be in the aft section. Some people will be going to the theater and bars so like forward. if you know you'll be all over the ship trying everything then perhaps location does not matter to you.

Naturally, you're going to walk all over the ship one time or another, but if you know you will be in one area more, then it's convenient for "going home" to your cabin if it's in the same section as most of your activities are.

Do you get carsick? Then pick a midship, lower deck. An inside is the least rocky of all because it's closer to the center of gravity so to speak.

Just keep reading these boards and you will learn lots about NCl and Dawn. Read the reviews of Dawn to Bermuda!

We were on the Dawn on 1/1 but for a very different type of itinerary (9 nights with 5 ports in 5 days)! Since the Bermuda cruise doesn't have all the stops, my opinion may be apples to oranges to a certain extent. You'll need to decide if the $700 (or whatever the actual difference is for your cruise between the lowest priced inside and the lowest priced balcony) is worth it to you.

This was our first time with a balcony and many have told us we'll never go back. I'm pretty sure they're right!

What we loved about the balcony was (not in any particular order):

1. Listening to the waves at night

2. Having coffee on the balcony in the morning. We're morning people. We ordered room service in advance a few times and then just switched to calling when we woke up - it always arrived within 20 or 30 minutes.

3. Sailing into ports every morning. The views as we sailed past all the small islands on the way to Tortola, as the sun came up, were priceless.

4. Having a separate space for one person to sit out of the way while the other person is getting ready in the cabin.

We watched maybe one sunset from our balcony and then decided that the Bimini Bar at the top of the ship was the best place for sunset/sail away views and pictures.

That said, we had sailed in inside cabins for our first two cruises and had great times going out, sitting by the pool and meeting people. We were also able to easily find public places in the ship to get good sea views. And if you want a nap, the inside cabin is always pitch dark!

Congrats on taking the Dawn for your honeymoon cruise.

My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary---8yrs late :-)---this past May by taking the Dawn to Bermuda. It was wonderful.

We have cruised in large "family" verandah cabins, obstructed view cabins and inside cabins. Is it nice to have a balconey? Of course! Is it worth the $$$? Only you can say. For us, the inside rooms are perfectly acceptable. We have gotten to the point that we prefer taking an inside cabin and saving the $$$ for other activities, excursions, etc.

The entertainment aboard the Dawn was wonderful. Patti & Josie were as enjoyable as any live music act we have ever seen. Fire & Ice was another exciting musical act. Some folks love the big stage shows. We find them far too loud and a bit overdone. There is generally a comedy act; late night dancing; a piano bar. You will have plenty of choices and will have a great time.

The bus and ferry pass is inexpensive. Public transport is easy to use and will get you wherever you want to go. We enjoyed taking the ferry to St. George's. We took a bus to the National Botanical Gardens. Hopped a bus from the gardens to the beaches along the southern shore. Took another bus to Gibb's Lighthouse; had lunch at King Somebody's Pub and caught yet another bus back to the Dockyards. The ferry across the harbor from Dockyards to Hamilton was always easy and pleasant.

Do NOT make your choice of cabin based on embarkation. It is more fun to go topside and join your shipmates as you sail by the Statue of Liberty and under the Verazzano Bridge.

If money is tight I would stay in the inside and keep some money for the excursions. The room isn't that small and look like small hotel room. The excursions on the others hand will probably be unique and something you will not see at home.

HTH,

We just sailed the Dawn and had a great time. We had a balcony on the back

of the ship and loved the view and the sound of the wake. We had an inside cabin on our first cruise also and prefer the balcony. We have been together for 15 years and enjoy the time we spend together on our balcony. We enjoy the sunrises drinking our coffee in the morning and sitting out in the sun having a mimosa and then watching the Dawn leaving a port in the evening. I found the inside cabin a little depressing because it was so dark. Hope you have a great cruise with which ever you choose.

I vote for the BALCONY.....Our first cruise was an oceanview and our 2nd we were bumped up to a balcony and that's all it took. You spend more time in your cabin than you think. My dh loves sitting out on the balcony and reading(or snoozing) while I wander around the ship. We get drinks and snacks and take them out on the balcony. I love seeing the beautiful blue water go by and hearing the water. I love sitting in the cabin and hearing the waves and know I'm going to my favorite place....Bermuda. You can smell the sea air and sometimes you get a glimpse of another ship or a beautiful sunrise or sunset. You just can't beat that.:D

I'd vote for a balcony also Do a guarantee and that will be the cheapest. As you will be spending time in port I think youll get a lot of use whether its breakfast or cocktails.

Definately get the 3 day transportation pass It allows you access to all the ferries and busses and is the best way to get around

We enjoyed The Swizzle Inn for an original cocktail and it is on the bus route Drivers are very helpful. Beaches were beautiful and several to choose from Seemed less crowded then other ports.

Think you dock at Kings Wharf which seems a bit away from everything but the ferry is efficient (bus does take a long time to get into Hamilton) There is a neat pub at Kings Wharf in the shopping area Named something like Onion Pub

You don't need a balcony. There are plenty of public decks & with a little scouting you can find a relatively private one if you don't want to be part of all the hoopla.

As for those people who tell you about the romance of hearing the waves, I have never heard it. It is not like a land resort where you can hear the waves crashing on the shore -- a sound I love. Next time you are a passanger in a car, stick your head out of the window at 50 mph. That is the sound you hear on a balcony. Personally, that is not soothing to me. One cruse on the Gem, our door didn't seal & the whole cruise we were plagued by a nasty high pitched whistling sound.

We get a balcony on cruises with a lot of sea days so I can get away from all the noise & nonsense at the pool deck but still sit outside.

There are no must haves on any ship. Coming from NYC, I'd say stay out of the Italian restaurant; you will be disspointed b/c it's food prepared for a midwestern palette. Le Bistro is the most romantic although the opulent restaurant at the back of the ship can be just as romantic if you get a table for two. The mid-ship MDR has bright bold colors but is also nice. Cagneys is a steak house; again in NYC you are going to do so much better on land, why bother. I really liked Impressions but don't remember if a). it's still on the Dawn or b). has a cover.

If you can work a port hole cabin into the budget I think you might enjoy the natural light. It's not much of a view but I get disoriented about time in total darkness. If you do an inside, when you go to bed, turn the TV to the bow cam channel & turn the sound off. At least you will have some sense of time.

Come to your M&G on board & make sure the attending officers know it's your HM. My DH has gotten some great help & insight from the staff in preparing romantic surprises for me on board.

Carry a bottle of champagne on board with you & pay the $15 corkage. Then get some glasses & an ice bucket to celebrate sail away.

Congratulations & bon voyage.

We sailed on the Dawn last May...you are making a nice choice for your trip. It was my first cruise in 26 years, and loved it so much we are on the Dawn again in June, taking our kids with us. It's a great way to exprience cruising, plus an affordable way to show Bermuda to our family. We had a 4th floor cabin with a porthole. I actually liked being down on 4. When in Bermuda it is the deck where you get on and off the ship. As our cabin was in the middle of the hallway, we were never effected by any noises from people getting on and off. My niece stayed in an inside cabin, roomy enough and having no natural light does not bother some folks. Also, we never had any problems with waiting for elevators. For sail away, we found the best place was deck 13. Above the pool area, you could look down and watch the goings on, but far enough away if you don't want to be in the middle of all the "action". And your 3 days in Bermuda will be great no matter what kind of cabin you get. Three day bus/ferry pass is the way to go. Make sure to spend a day in St George, so much to see on that end of the island. Next trip I will probably skip Hamilton all together and spend more time at the beaches and in St George. :) Enjoy!

Having the ability to open the door for some fresh air was real nice.

We cracked the door each night and having the white noise from the wind/water helped us sleep. Of course, we sleep with a fan on at home for the white noise so if you want it dead quiet that doesn't do you much good.

1. Stay w/ the inside cabin due to budget.

2. We live in NY, which side dosen't matter. Go to top deck especially when passing under the Verazanno bridge (about 1 hr after leaving dock)!

3. Book when NCL is offering an OBC - on board shipboard credit. Since this is your 1st cruise, at the end of the trip every cruise line will hit you with a per person surcharge of about $10 - $15 per day. This is tips for your waiters, cabin attendants, etc. These people bust their chops for this money and well deserve it.

4. I have found that I usally get the best prices by using 3 different sites which are "cruise" and the word "compete", bjsvacations and costco websites. The first one is weird, but highly rated. You register with them; tell them the ship, dates and the cabin you want and then log in a day or two later and various travel agencies have bid on your room. It will automatically tell you which one offered the cheapest. When doing this also tell them as your second choice you would like an ocean view. The price might be the same.

Good luck!

Coming from NYC, I'd say stay out of the Italian restaurant; you will be disspointed b/c it's food prepared for a midwestern palette.... I really liked Impressions but don't remember if a). it's still on the Dawn or b). has a cover.

Just for clarity since our OP is a new Dawn cruiser: The Italian restaurant IS Impressions (of Italy), and yes, there is now a cover charge of $10 per person. Maybe you were thinking of Salsa? And it has a $10 cover charge, also, if so.

Archived