New Balcony room on Ecstasy

CPHS

I sailed on 1-14 on the Ecstacy and had one of the new balcony rooms, E-90. I was hoping that these would be brand new rooms, but they are really just the old ocean view rooms with a new door and window put into them along with small balcony. The room is exactly the same size as our friend's room down on R-145. You get a bed and a padded wooden chair along with desk with mirror..

Location of the room is ideal. Fun cruise even though we had crappy weather on Thursday and Friday. Very rough seas.....

:)

I sailed on 1-14 on the Ecstacy and had one of the new balcony rooms, E-90. I was hoping that these would be brand new rooms, but they are really just the old ocean view rooms with a new door and window put into them along with small balcony. The room is exactly the same size as our friend's room down on R-145. You get a bed and a padded wooden chair along with desk with mirror..

Location of the room is ideal. Fun cruise even though we had crappy weather on Thursday and Friday. Very rough seas.....

I had looked into these balcony staterooms and elected to not purchase one simply after reseraching and veryfying my feelings that there was no way the room could be any larger when all they did was attach the balcony and change out a window and add a door. How could the room been made larger ? Research = PRICELESS !

Sorry the cruise weather did not cooperate for you, but at least you still had a good time !

The addition of those balconies didn't help the looks of the Fantasy class ships either!!!!

Mike

yeppers.... another CCL "budget" attempt that looks cheeeeeeeeeeep !

Celebrity did this on the "Century" and they look very nice compared to the Fantasy Class ships.

http://www.southerncruising.com/images/contentmanaged/CEL_CN_ExteriorSide_11.jpg "Century"

http://tom-n-cheryl.smugmug.com/photos/471918431_TWiHp-M.jpg "Sensation"

I had looked into these balcony staterooms and elected to not purchase one simply after reseraching and veryfying my feelings that there was no way the room could be any larger when all they did was attach the balcony and change out a window and add a door. How could the room been made larger ? Research = PRICELESS !

Sorry the cruise weather did not cooperate for you, but at least you still had a good time !

I probably should have done more research too. I figured size would be same but had hoped they might have at least changed out room for a new one. They are showing some signs of their age. I watched a TV show awhile back that showed RCCL adding new balcony rooms and they did change out the rooms. They do look funny from the outside but view from balcony looks fine. They could have put a slightly higher set of chairs on the balcony. I am 5'10" and when seated you look straight into hand rail. 3" or 4" higher and view would have been great while sitting.

No biggie, but I sail again in March on Splendor and look forward to sailing on a "fresher ship".

That's odd, the two cabins I stayed in right after she came back from drydock in November appeared to have been completely refurbished and still had a faint odor of fresh paint. I saw pictures a worker took during the drydock, and the rooms had been totally gutted and refitted with fresh trim, wall panels, carpeting, and furnishings as needed. I thought the ship came back looking really good overall. She looked as 'fresh' as a ship built in 1991 could be.

A lot of people don't understand why they would sink money into upgrading an older ship like that. But, according to Carnival, Ecstasy is one of their most popular ships for whatever reasons. People just seem to like the old gal. :)

We enjoyed our time on Ecstasy.

That's odd, the two cabins I stayed in right after she came back from drydock in November appeared to have been completely refurbished and still had a faint odor of fresh paint. I say pictures a worker took during the drydock, and the rooms had been totally gutted and refitted with fresh trim, wall panels, carpeting, and furnishings as needed. I thought the ship came back looking really good overall. She looked as 'fresh' as a ship built in 1991 could be.

A lot of people don't understand why they would sink money into upgrading an older ship like that. But, according to Carnival, Ecstasy is one of their most popular ships for whatever reasons. People just seem to like the old gal. :)

I love the Ecstasy! Long LIVE the Ecstasy!

Im glad they did this it was tough justifying a suite on a short cruise one reason we dont do short cruises but with the new balconies it is a cost effective way to give us another cabin choice as we only do Balcony and maybe now I will take my GF on one of the older ships I cruised on for years:D

That's odd, the two cabins I stayed in right after she came back from drydock in November appeared to have been completely refurbished and still had a faint odor of fresh paint. I saw pictures a worker took during the drydock, and the rooms had been totally gutted and refitted with fresh trim, wall panels, carpeting, and furnishings as needed. I thought the ship came back looking really good overall. She looked as 'fresh' as a ship built in 1991 could be.

E-90 certainly wasn't refurbed during last dry dock. When we boarded we noticed the vent in the ceiling of the bathroom was missing. There was just a hole in the ceiling with a loud sucking noice. And very dirty!!! Late in the day on the first day at sea someone came and installed the vent so at least the noice was gone. I noticed some wear and tear here and there but we also like this ship. It was our 5th cruise on her!!

• 9 months later...
The addition of those balconies didn't help the looks of the Fantasy class ships either!!!!

Mike

They kinda look like "trailer trash add ons":D

I havent been in any of those cabins yet. I have seen pics of one. Only thing I dont like about them is the size of the window next to the door. Its not the same "large" floor/ceiling window like on the other balcony cabins. Makes the cabin look "small" and dark.

I probably should have done more research too. I figured size would be same but had hoped they might have at least changed out room for a new one. They are showing some signs of their age. I watched a TV show awhile back that showed RCCL adding new balcony rooms and they did change out the rooms. They do look funny from the outside but view from balcony looks fine. They could have put a slightly higher set of chairs on the balcony. I am 5'10" and when seated you look straight into hand rail. 3" or 4" higher and view would have been great while sitting.

No biggie, but I sail again in March on Splendor and look forward to sailing on a "fresher ship".

Try sitting on some pillows. Works for me.

Just off Ecstasy and stayed in E222 balcony room. I loved the balcony, but you do sacrifice room in the cabin for it. The Ocean view room had a chair or small couch as I recall.

In reality, you don't sacrifice a thing. The OV cabins on the Fantasy Class are 185 sq ft. The added balcony provides an additional 35 sq ft to make the cabin 220 sq ft... exactly the same as a balcony cabin on the Conquest Class...

I'd be more than happy to trade you the Fantasy for the Ecstasy. I would love to have the option of a balcony and sail out of Charleston. Option now is to pay for a Suite if we want a balcony on the Fantasy or drive to JAX or Port Canaveral (6 - 8 hours) for the Fascination or Sensation which has been remodeled with the balconies.

Say the word...SC will be more than happy to have the Ecstasy!!!

The thing that keeps us off most fantasy class ships is the lack of a regular balcony room. I couldn't care less what they make the ship look like from the outside. They should be added to all the Fantasy class ships. They're great!

DH & I had an aft wrap on the Conquest a few weeks ago & loved the size of the room even though it was a different layout. We didn't have the sofa, just the single chair with small table.

My mom & I will be sailing on the Ecstasy next year & are getting a regular room balcony, but I'm not really worried about the size. I know it will not seem as roomy as what I had before, but I don't think it will bother either of us. Not up to paying for a suite for more room. LOL!

We were on the same trip in E91. I have a few pics in my flikr account. Sorry they are not in any kind of order.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alisonthorn/

Thanks for sharing your pictures. We're trying one of the new balcony rooms is 12 days! It does look like they offer more privacy than balconies on other ships.

I don't think it looks that bad. It is a little different but I would gladly try it. I agree with the poster who said we in SC would love a cruise ship with balconies. The Fantasy does not have them and they have not upgraded them for her. I asked John Herald and he states no plans in the immediate future to add them.:( Does not keep me for sailing on her but it would be nice. I cannot afford the suites.:rolleyes:

Archived