Vatican Monday morning then train to Port

lcumpire

We are thinking of visiting the Vatican on a Monday morning and then taking a 2:00 express train to the port arriving at about 3:00. The ship leaves at 6:00 so we have some time built in and there are other trains after 2:00 just in case. Plan C would be to call romecabs.com at the last minute and pay them to take us to the port.

Beside the obvious what am I missing?

thanx

I think your plan is workable. I'd add my suggestions that you pre-reserve tickets to the Vatican museum and that you plan to arrive as early as possible. Mondays are very crowded generally at the Vatican because many other museums in Rome are closed on Mondays.

• 1 month later...

If you are returning directly to Civitavechhia from the Vatican, it might be just as fast, or faster, to take the regional train from Roma San Pietro rather than the express train from Termini, by the time you get all the way across town from the Vatican to Termini.

thanx

...a possible strike?

Are you arriving in Rome that day or are you staying in Rome Pre-cruise?

...what about luggage?

I'd recommend leaving your bags at the hotel (most will allow you to store bags after check out), go to Vatican, then return and have driver meet you at a certain time (no later than 3:00) at your hotel.

We are thinking of visiting the Vatican on a Monday morning and then taking a 2:00 express train to the port arriving at about 3:00. The ship leaves at 6:00 so we have some time built in and there are other trains after 2:00 just in case. Plan C would be to call romecabs.com at the last minute and pay them to take us to the port.

thanx

I think your plan C has a serious flaw. It assumes that romecabs has a driver and vehicle ready for that long of a trip on a moments notice (remember it is a round trip for them to get back to Rome.)

thanx

It is pricier than others, but myvaticantour.com has a "semi-private" tour of the Vatican starting at 8:10 am that lasts 3 hours. With that tour, you might be able to catch an earlier train. Here is a direct link to the description of the tour.

I have not used myvaticantour, but the few reviews I have seen have been positive. Similar to you, we plan on doing this tour the same day our cruise embarks in Rome in May. Assuming we do not change our mind, I will be happy to share our experience if your cruise is after our trip.

Archived