Oosterdam or Zaandam?

oh2gocruisin

We will be taking one of these ships to Alaska this year. The itineraries are basically the same, so I'm wondering if one ship might have an advantage over the other. I realize they are different class ships as far as size, but what else is different? Can you walk out onto the bow for unobstructed views on both ships? This will be important to us for cruising Glacier Bay. Any comparisons appreciated. Thanks.

Kathy

We will be taking one of these ships to Alaska this year. The itineraries are basically the same, so I'm wondering if one ship might have an advantage over the other. I realize they are different class ships as far as size, but what else is different? Can you walk out onto the bow for unobstructed views on both ships? This will be important to us for cruising Glacier Bay. Any comparisons appreciated. Thanks.

Kathy

IF, and I reply IF, the interior makes a difference you can see the Stateroom and Public Area photos, not only on the HAL web site but also at HAL Staterooms/Cabin Photos Page http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

From what has been posted here on the Board many times, YES, you can go out onto the bow of both ships. I've not done so yet, because I've always sat on my verandah and just relaxed and enjoyed the beauty from there.

Joanie

I personally like the size, comforts and layout of the smaller HAL ships over their Vista class so I myself would choose the Zandam over the larger Vista class when given the choice.

But even on the Vista class Oosterdam when we got to a particularly scenic cruising spot in Magdelena Bay on the Mexican Riviera they opened the bow deck for viewing.

Both ships have full wrap around the ship Promenade(lower promenade) decks, access to the bow for scenic cruising and the Crow's nest lounge for inside comfort and great vistas. My choice though, everything else being equal, would be the Zaandam. Because on the S and R class I think the ocean view cabins on the lower promenade are great for the glacier days. Easy access to the deck and room when you need to warm up, and they serve hot drinks out there. If you have a balcony cabin and choose to remain there, you miss out on many vistas, and camaraderie with others on the open decks.

A BIG plus for the Vista class ships (Oosterdam) is that the cabins with verandahs are much less expensive, and you definitely want a private balcony on an Alaskan cruise. Beautiful scenery was constantly passing by, and many whales were spotted from our balcony. Don't even think of getting an inside cabin on this one.

I was in Glacier Bay onboard the Westerdam last year, and prime viewing was from the sides of the ship once the ship reached the glaciers of interest. I would say that the best view was from the top deck, however, there was no urgency as there was plenty of time to see it all from different areas of the ship.

The bow is opened to passengers when near ports and certain places of interest, generally while the ship is travelling slowly in calm waters.

igraf

Kathy

Have sailed both to Alaska & both were wonderful trips.

Bow of the Zaandam is harder to get out to, because of this, it is less crowded than the Oosterdam.

Both have wonderful bow areas to view the glaciers from.

DH prefers Oosterdam for Alaska

Hopefully you can find some posted photos of the bow of both ships.

Try to find something not from the cruise line, CC Poster photos will give you a better idea.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Ditto what igraf said about the Verandah cabins being cheaper on the Oosterdam.

Other thing you might want to consider is looking at the Alaska port schedule and seeing what other ships will be in port with both Oosterdam and Zaandam. One might have less other ships in the ports to contend with.

Bow of the Zaandam is harder to get out to, because of this, it is less crowded than the Oosterdam.

The bow of the Zaandam is incredibly easy to get out to. All you need to know is the most direct route.

We just did 19 days on the Oosterdam Nov. 2009. It was the largest ship we have ever cruised on with any line. Our preference is HAL and Prinsendam is our favorite. That said, we met many people who were sailing for their first time on HAL and without exception said they would never sail with them again. The seasoned HAL cruisers also found many things lacking and told others not to judge HAL by the Oosterdam. It was lack of service, less than great food, basically an attitude problem. We are used to happy crews and an overall feeling of friendliness. That was totally lacking.

Thank you all for the helpful information,tips and photos on these two ships. Taking everything mentioned into account, along with cc reviews and a couple of other websites, we've decided to book the Zaandam. This will be the smallest ship we've sailed on so far, which was a plus for me, but DH really likes the bigger ships. It took several years to even convince him to try cruising, and now, not surprisingly, he loves it. Of course, there were other factors that helped us decide, but responses from you seasoned HAL cruisers helped a great deal. Now, about those tips, how about a little elaboration on this:

quote=RuthC;22796989]The bow of the Zaandam is incredibly easy to get out to. All you need to know is the most direct route.

Thanks again!!

My experience on the Oosterdam was the complete opposite. I enjoyed great food and a great crew, but that was two years ago. Likewise, I also had great cruises on two other Vista class ships although we did have some plumbing problems on my last HAL cruise.

It appears that something is now wrong with HAL, and this might have little to do with which ship you are on. My next cruise may be on a different cruise line, and I am truly sorry to say this as my ancestry is Dutch and American!

igraf

We just did 19 days on the Oosterdam Nov. 2009. It was the largest ship we have ever cruised on with any line. Our preference is HAL and Prinsendam is our favorite. That said, we met many people who were sailing for their first time on HAL and without exception said they would never sail with them again. The seasoned HAL cruisers also found many things lacking and told others not to judge HAL by the Oosterdam. It was lack of service, less than great food, basically an attitude problem. We are used to happy crews and an overall feeling of friendliness. That was totally lacking.

Now, about those tips, how about a little elaboration on this:

quote=RuthC;22796989]The bow of the Zaandam is incredibly easy to get out to. All you need to know is the most direct route.

Head toward the Front Desk on Promenade Deck, then forward to the show lounge. Go to the side aisle of the show lounge, heading toward the door that's about as far forward as the stage. The door will be marked to indicate you should go no further. Go through that door. :D Within about 5-6 feet is another door; go through that.

You are now in a hallway area, painted white. There's a staircase coming down, and another coming up. Head toward the front bulkhead, and you will see the heavy door to the bow. During scenic cruising it will be open.

There is a very high threshold to step over.

Have had a wonderful time on the Oosterdam twice, so something seriously must have changed.

Zaandam is a superb ship and you will have a fantastic trip.

There are fun places to discover on her.

We had an inside cabin & it worked out well, love to have a balcony – since this was our second trip to Alaska a well priced inside suited us fine.

Really enjoyed the espresso’s, Latté & Mocha’s we had daily, get a coffee card.

You’ll love the crew too, one of the best at sea. Caring, smiling, happy friendly folks.

Check out the upper bow deck; just go up the stairs instead of heading out front.

If you have trouble ask. Everyone will send you thru the "Crew Only" doors to the bow, lots of fun & great viewing stars and such.

The chef offered a different salmon dish every night - I was in heaven - make sure to try the mango Salmon if it’s offered, just amazing.

Archived