Mahogany Bay Beach cabanas on Roatan (MERGED THREADS)

sharkaymon

Mahogany Bay. I've seen pix and they look great!

k, i havent heard of that place, until now. we had the cabanas on half moon cay, if they are similar, you should probably do it. hopefully somebody on here has done that.

I am very disappointed in Carnival for building Mahogany Bay. Just like at Grand Turk, it is nothing more than a private island owned by Carnival, designed to keep all the income in Carnival's hands instead of getting it out to the into the islanders hands.

We will continue to sail to Carnival and visit Roatan, but it will be immediately out the gate and into countryside.

I am very disappointed in Carnival for building Mahogany Bay. Just like at Grand Turk, it is nothing more than a private island owned by Carnival, designed to keep all the income in Carnival's hands instead of getting it out to the into the islanders hands.

We will continue to sail to Carnival and visit Roatan, but it will be immediately out the gate and into countryside.

im all for supporting the local economy while in port, only problem is the beach we visited as part of carnival excursions @ gumbalimba (while very pretty complete w/inground pool) was infested w/sand fleas. This despite our dousing ourselves in bug spray before the tour into the rainforest to see monkeys, etc. The mr wound up with over 50 of them beachside while he cleaned the bar out of coronas;)i spent my time in the ocean, only getting one. One was enough to develop into a massive infection that needed to be treated by ship doctor few days later...who rapidly guessed where we got the bites.

can't say if the fleas r still there:confused:, have avoided the port since. i'd like to think at least Carnival would be more diligent re santitary conditions (for lack of a better term - perhaps spraying the beach to avoid the fleas) & am glad to read of this alternative.:)

Edited by keishashadow

im all for supporting the local economy while in port, only problem is the beach we visited as part of carnival excursions @ gumbalimba (while very pretty complete w/inground pool) was infested w/sand fleas. This despite our dousing ourselves in bug spray before the tour into the rainforest to see monkeys, etc. The mr wound up with over 50 of them beachside while he cleaned the bar out of coronas;)i spent my time in the ocean, only getting one. One was enough to develop into a massive infection that needed to be treated by ship doctor few days later...who rapidly guessed where we got the bites.

can't say if the fleas r still there:confused:, have avoided the port since. i'd like to think at least Carnival would be more diligent re santitary conditions (for lack of a better term - perhaps spraying the beach to avoid the fleas) & am glad to read of this alternative.:)

Next time go to Tabayana. Immaculate, great beach service, no sand fleas, and the reef for snorkeling is the best in the western Caribbean. Please remember that Carnival cannot control nature, and that is where the sand fleas come from.

I'm glad someone brought this up over here ~ the Roatan board doesn't seem to get much traffic. It doesn't seem like too many people have used the Cabanas yet.

I would like to know if it is possible to pay for extra people in the Cabana.

Also, are they roped off/secluded? If my son & I come back early from an excursion & the rest of our family rents a cabana - can we just hang out in front of it? Are there "public" beach chairs there. I'm thinking of the set up @ Half Moon Cay.

It looks like there will be a few ships in port with us. I'm thinking it will be crowded.

Next time go to Tabayana. Immaculate, great beach service, no sand fleas, and the reef for snorkeling is the best in the western Caribbean. Please remember that Carnival cannot control nature, and that is where the sand fleas come from.

good to know:)

im aware that most beaches (even on our own Atlantic shores i visit) have sand fleas. It's my understanding they're nocturnal & they usually don't appear otherwise, unless after storms when junk gets washed up ashore:confused:.

anyway, back to the cabanas;)

• 1 month later...

These cabanas seem nice enough, and they are now a bit more guarded since Lee and Mike were there. The beach area is also roped to prevent unpayign canbana folks from wandering over. But the big question, seemingly unresolved, is whether the cost for a cabana is justified versus free loungers and 3 bars for food and drink that surround the cabanas. Also areas that are covered where you can sit. Same beach, same view as everyone else. The Airconditioning really looks more like a dehumidifier than a cool air conditioner. You're less than 10 minutes from your ship cabin, if you really wanted to go back. It's not like you're several miles away and there's nothing else around.

I haven't rented a cabana either, but I have looked into it since we'll be there in May.

I'm taking a pass on the cabanas. I rented one on HMC and loved it. But for the price, these Roatan cabanas aren't worth it to me.

They don't offer anything like they do at HMC....no food, no soda, nothing. Except the lounge chairs, hammock and community beach furnishings. Pretty much anything that goes with the cabana, I can get on the beach.

From the pictures I've seen so far, it doesn't look very private either.

But....I'm still interested in hearing about the experiences of others who did rent one. I could change my mind!

well its 199 for up to 4 people so if you split the cost only 50$ thats not too bad

Compared to taking a taxi and going to a West End beach, cost wise may not. But definitiely compared to the free beach and amenities next to them...It's $50pp too much.

We hope the cabana works out well for us. Have 8 people in 2 cabanas including my father-in-law whose in his mid-70's and doesn't like the heat too much. At least he'll be able to get out of the sun and still be around family & friends, not stuck on the ship. We'll see in 3 weeks.

We hope the cabana works out well for us. Have 8 people in 2 cabanas including my father-in-law whose in his mid-70's and doesn't like the heat too much. At least he'll be able to get out of the sun and still be around family & friends, not stuck on the ship. We'll see in 3 weeks.

Let us know your experience here. This might be a better option for your FIL. He can sit under the open air pavillions but he would be away from the family activity. I'm curious to know how well those dehumidifiers/heat pumps/acs in the back of the cabanas work.

Rented a cabana on the 24th... just got back from my cruise...

There were pro's and con's both, I will list them and you can decide...

The cabana is nice, the A/C is cool enough for sure.

If you pre booked it online, be sure and check in at the rental hut before hand. One of the staff will take you to it and set it up for you...

As for being stocked and having staff available as it states, I had to walk and get my own drinks from the bar behind the cabanas, easy enough, no big deal there. The restrooms are just behind cabana #4 so it was nice as well!

But there was no staff waiting on us what so ever...

As for the roped off beach area... there was a security person staged in the area at first shooing away folks who wonder over, but he disappeared after 30-45 minutes. I saw him further down the beach chasing the bikini's.

Once it was noticed there was no security, well that beach area filled fast!

In fact, when we were leaving, I put away all the cushions, etc back into the cabana and locked it... for as soon as I walked away a group of folks were trying to break open the door for access... jeez...

All in all, the weather was nice and the beach area was "semi" private. Certainly less crowded than the other areas.

Would I do it again?

nope... I'd probably take a taxi to another beach and take my chances.

What you get for your $199:

1 cabana rental

1 hammock (nice)

4 floaters

1 two-person lounger w/cushions (nice)

0 wait staff

0 security

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, Carnival screwed us out of the cabana! The second night we got a notice in our cabin that our cabana was cancelled. Went down to the desk the next day and they said that since our ship - the Legend - switched itineraries that the other ship in port had 1st priority over us and they had sold all the cabanas out for the day. We instead booked the clam shell with snorkel tour. The AM we got into Mahogany Bay Carnival called our room to offer us the cabana again. I told them to screw off. Also, don't rent a snorkel. There's nothing to see there. Nice beach and bar/restaurant. Since Carnival screwed us on the cabana I took home a check for $145 with unused OBC. Thanks Carnival!