Tuxedo Hire on HAL

ausbod

When cruising on Princess I was able to hire a tuxedo for the 36 night voyage. Is this option available on HAL Veendam? If so, how does one organise/book an outfit?

Yes. For starters, go to www.cruiselineformal.com :)

Funny, sk8teacher - we both spot a four hour old thread and decide to post within a minute of each other! :)

DH rented formal attire for recent Noordam cruise. Clothing was in the closet when we arrived. Tried them on as soon we got into the stateroom on departure day. Pants were too long by 1.5 inches. Told this to cabin steward. Within 5 minutes, someone picked up pants, rehemmed them and returned before dinner. Pretty impressive!

DH rented formal attire for recent Noordam cruise. Clothing was in the closet when we arrived. Tried them on as soon we got into the stateroom on departure day. Pants were too long by 1.5 inches. Told this to cabin steward. Within 5 minutes' date=' someone picked up pants, rehemmed them and returned before dinner. Pretty impressive![/quote']

And the beauty of it is: No need to pack a suit, shirt, tie, dress shoes, etc., etc. And the men look so wonderful in the tuxes!

I would seriously consider purchasing your own tuxedo. The problem with a Tuxedo from Cruise Line Formals, is that it is a "rental tux". It has a dreadfully heavy liner that makes the tux really stiff and unbearably hot and uncomfortable, especially in a warm weather destination. And, on a 36 night voyage, I would think you'll be wearing the tux several times. I have no doubt the rental costs would be nearly what it would cost to purchase a decent tux that will fit you like a glove and be as comfortable as your favorite suit. Plus, you'll then have it for your next cruise. The most basic package on Cruise Line Formals with shoes and damage fees is $101 for a 1 week cruise. Since you'll be on a 5 week cruise, that price goes to $505. You can buy a Calvin Klein tux with shoes, all the accessories and 2 shirts for about $600 at Men's Wearhouse. And at the end of the cruise, you take it home with you to wear again the next time you want to look like a million bucks :)

On a 36 night cruise, the only advantage I can see in a rental tux is not having to pack it and carry it. Just sayin'

A rented POLYESTER tux can be spotted from shore. My tablemate described his rental shoes from a previous cruise (not HAL) as actually made of cardboard.

Keep your eyes peeled for advertised sales and get a nice cotton tux.

Rich

There comes a point where it's better value for money to you buy your own comfortable tux than hire a poor quality one. A 5 week cruise is one of those times! And you'll be amazed how useful it will be after your cruise too. And speaking from an aesthetic point of view there is nothing quite so elegant as a man in a tux. Swoon :o

You can purchase brand new tuxedos cheaper than renting them for a 2+ week cruise.

We bought our latest ones from that online auction place, you know, with the colorful eb@y logo.

Nice, summer weight wool and they looked great! (Don't go for the polyester. Blecch!)

We always rent a tux for my husband. We have done this now for 6 or 7 cruises and he loves it. The tux has always been in the cabin when we arrive, it has always fit perfectly and is so easy. We have done this on 7 day up to 24 day cruises and never had any problem. It so cuts down on the luggage

A rented POLYESTER tux can be spotted from shore. My tablemate described his rental shoes from a previous cruise (not HAL) as actually made of cardboard.

Keep your eyes peeled for advertised sales and get a nice cotton tux.

Rich

Holy Moly

I said cotton. Of course I meant wool.

I was thinking of my cotton thong for the lido pool.:)

Rich

Or forget the tux and take a dark suit. :)

I totally agree with this option. On HAL you don't see very many tuxes on formal nights...mostly nice dark suits.

Now if you are going on a QM2 crossing, that is an entirely different matter.

My previous tuxedo now belongs to my son. He fortunately is now several sizes smaller than I have become. I found that Jos A Bank periodically has their tuxedo separates on sale on-line. I got a complete set of black and white for like 70% off. The jackets were like $127 a piece and the slacks $75~. A great bargain for a pretty high quality outfit.

Dennis

Archived