2 Nights in Victoria or Vancouver Before Cruise?

We will be driving to Vancouver for a cruise in May and plan to either spend two nights pre-cruise in either Victoria or Vancouver and then one night in the other. At first I thought we would stay in Victoria one night and then spend two nights in Vancouver, but after researching Victoria I think I would like to spend more time there. However, we will be coming from Seattle, and I think that after we drive up the coastline and then take the ferry over to Victoria, we may not have enough time to do what we want to do in that one day. Any suggestions--1 night in Victoria and 2 nights in Vancouver or 2 nights Victoria and 1 night in Vancouver?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for hotels in Victoria? I have been researching priceline and hotwire hotels, checking tripadvisor, and checking these boards. Any suggestions or reviews from anyone?

jan

You'll probably get some excellent pointers from the regulars on this site but a couple of things.

If your cruise ends in Vancouver you would not want to go back to Victoria which requires a time consuming ferry crossing. Two days pre-cruise would work for Victoria but I would try to add extra time to your visit in Vancouver after the cruise. I'm sure after you watch NBC;'s coverage of the Vancouver Olympics you'll see lots of things you want to do here.

You can make reservations on BC Ferries and you might consider this so you don't end up waiting at the terminal for the next ferry which could be 2 hours later. http://www.bcferries.com

We will be driving to Vancouver for a cruise in May and plan to either spend two nights pre-cruise in either Victoria or Vancouver and then one night in the other. At first I thought we would stay in Victoria one night and then spend two nights in Vancouver, but after researching Victoria I think I would like to spend more time there. However, we will be coming from Seattle, and I think that after we drive up the coastline and then take the ferry over to Victoria, we may not have enough time to do what we want to do in that one day. Any suggestions--1 night in Victoria and 2 nights in Vancouver or 2 nights Victoria and 1 night in Vancouver?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for hotels in Victoria? I have been researching priceline and hotwire hotels, checking tripadvisor, and checking these boards. Any suggestions or reviews from anyone?

jan

I would go to Victoria 1st, and you might want to consider taking the Coho ferry from Port Angeles, WA to Victoria, which gets you a different view than taking the normal BC Ferry from Swartz Bay (N of Victoria) to Tsawwassen (S of Vancouver).

I suppose what you like to do, will be the big decider. What do you like to do? Victoria has more history than Vancouver, in that it was established quite a bit before Vancouver, and is also the provincial capital. Vancouver is more cosmopolitan/big city.

I think we are going to take your advice, eetonaee, and stay one night in Vancouver pre-cruise and then stay one night post-cruise in Vancouver before we start our road trip back home. That will give us two nights in both places. I like that much better!:)

scottbee, you suggested taking the ferry from Port Angeles WA to Victoria rather than driving from Seattle up and then taking the Tsawwassen ferry to Victoria. Here is my question: can you drive to Port Angeles or do you have to take a ferry over to it from Seattle? We want to take a scenic route, but also we are trying to figure out the best way to get to Victoria considering ferry costs, waiting time for ferry, and time to allow for crossing etc.

Also, do you have any suggestions for a good place to stay in Victoria?

jan

I think we are going to take your advice, eetonaee, and stay one night in Vancouver pre-cruise and then stay one night post-cruise in Vancouver before we start our road trip back home. That will give us two nights in both places. I like that much better!:)

scottbee, you suggested taking the ferry from Port Angeles WA to Victoria rather than driving from Seattle up and then taking the Tsawwassen ferry to Victoria. Here is my question: can you drive to Port Angeles or do you have to take a ferry over to it from Seattle? We want to take a scenic route, but also we are trying to figure out the best way to get to Victoria considering ferry costs, waiting time for ferry, and time to allow for crossing etc.

To get to Port Angeles (from the south), you have a few options, skipping Seattle altogether;

1. Exit I5 onto Hwy 101 where it starts in Olympia, or;
  2. Take the Tacoma Narrows bridge on Hwy 16 and Hwy 3, which then rejoins 101 near Port Townsend.
  3. Exit I5 toward Aberdeen on Hwy 12, and then join 101 on the west coast and head north from there.

I think #1 would be my choice, #2 goes through a lot more towns/built up areas. If you really want wilderness and mountains, #3 is the way to go, but it's quite a bit longer

Victoria for 2 days.. in May the city is lush with flowers .. visit the Empress Hotel for tea, walk along the seawall, visit the various museums etc. It has a much slower pace than Vancover. In Vancouver, vist the aquarium and the park.... avoid the downtown core if possible.

jan

Best western inner harbour. Walk to ship or harbourfront. We stayed there and were perfectly satisfied. Highly rated

There's tons of hotels in the downtown core. Depending on what you're looking for, right in the downtown/James Bay area (roughly from nicest down) some of your choices (and I say some, because there's more)

• the Fairmont Empress
  • Laurel Point Inn
  • the Hotel Grand Pacific
  • Coast Victoria Harbourside
  • Best Western Inner Harbour (previously mentioned)
  • Days Inn (previously known as the Swiftsure)
  • the Queen Victoria Hotel
  • the Royal Scot
  • the Embassy Inn
  • the James Bay Inn (JBI)

I would read what people have to say on a website that offers trip advice.. If you're looking for cheap/clean and not coddled to your every whim, the Royal Scot and JBI are great value.

Closer to downtown there's a brand new Marriot, the Executive Inn, and the Chateau Victoria and the list goes on.

I also recommend going to Port Angeles and taking the Mv Coho. If you have never been to Seattle go through there and take a ferry across somewhere. There are several routes. If not on your way up do as scottbee suggest and cut off I5.

I also agree on the hotels listed by him.

I take it you are renting a car in Seattle and driving north to Vancouver.

I suggest you look into the Anacortes ferry. Drive north to Mount Vernon then west to Anacortes. That ferry takes you to Sidney. An interesting trip through the San Juan Island and doesn't call for any backtracking to Tacoma.

There is only one or two sailings a day and it is not running during the winter months. I tried checking out the schedule but couldn't get it to work.

Go to the Washington State Ferries website and then pick your route. Maybe the route on the website will work in April. I think reservations are advisable on this route because of the schedule. You shouldn't need reservations on BC Ferries in May. Tourist traffic is not in full swing. As for what to see in Victoria. I live here and find it all ordinary;). Texas would be soooo interesting.:)

I spent one night in Victoria.. saw the gardens, an historical castle, walked around and had dinner. it was enough for me.

I had three nights Vancouver and it was not enough. this summer doing two nights and then going to Whistler for 2 nights and one more night Vancouver to fly home.

i feel Whistler at this time i s more important to see. i love nature and the mts.

in Vancouver, you need to see Stanley park, North Vancouver and China town and Dr Lee's garden.

there is more but this is start.

I think you'll find the Coho timetable convenient. I live in Victoria but I've never taken the Anacortes ferry because it's harder to get to and the schedule has been less convenient.

Another advantage of the Coho over BC Ferries is the easier and quicker border crossing procedure.

Archived