Hotels in San Diego

Lvs2Cruise2

Holiday Inn on

harbor drive is across from pier. Hotel will deliver your luggage and you can walk over at your leisure.

There are 2 Holiday Inns on Harbor Drive. The one at 1355 North Harbor is located directly across from the Terminal. Complimentary shuttle service is also available to/from the airport. Park N Cruise packages also available.:D

Hello, DH and I have a 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise leaving out of San Diego in April. After reading all of the horror stories about same day flights we have opted to fly into San Diego the night before. Can someone please recommend a hotel in San Diego ? We don't arrive in San Diego until 10:30 pm so it will be too late do any sightseeing. So we're looking for convenience. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

San Diego Holiday Inn Bayside : they pick you up ate the airport and drive you to the ship the following day, just ask when booking and give flight/ship details.

Manny, the concierge (bell captain) can arrange a short trolley tour in the morning or you can go to shop in Chinatown market leaving your suitcases in the hotel.

Seniors get discounts :)

Holiday Inn Bayside:

they come and pick you up at the airport, they give you a number to call on arrival.

they drop you off at pier, if you want, and take your luggage there.

Manny, the Bell Captain, can arrange a morning sightseeing tour : you won't be able to step on board until 1200 o'clock, anyway.

Seniors get discount

Hotel director Margaret McKnight is very very kind and helpfull :)

Hello, I am flying in from Honolulu and will be booking at the Holiday Inn Bayside, is it the one across the pier where ships dock?

is there a shuttle to the ship? I would not want to drag around my suitcases.

Is the shop called "Ralph's" near enough so I can buy the last items I may need on the ship, including mineral water?

No, the HI BAYSIDE is west of the airport, and not near anything. You would need to take cabs or a city bus to get to the San Diego Trolley, Old Town, the pier, the Gaslamp Quarter, the USS Midway, etc. The HI ON THE BAY is also on Harbor Drive but is is EAST of the airport and right across the street from the pier. Walk to Seaport Village, the Trolley station (to get to Old Town, the Gaslamp, etc.) and to the ship for embarkation.

There are several other hotels within a couple blocks of the HI On the Bay which are also very nice. Many feel that the HI on the Bay is over-rated and over-priced for what you get.

Ralphs (not Ralph's) is a supermarket chain. It would be about 4 miles from the HI Bayside (you would be much closer to Von's supermarket or Trader Joe's at Liberty Station there) or about 12 blocks (30 minute walk or a short pedicab ride) from the HI On the Bay.

you are right :) : I'll ask the agent to change the booking :)

I forgot to ask : how far is Midway museum from this hotel? I'd leave the bags in hotel and go to see it before departure :), if possible.

For horror stories of flying into San Diego see my recent post....

Jen in SoCal

It's not horror stories of flying into San Diego the day of embarkation because you are gaining 3 hours (seeing that you will be flying out of the same airport that we do)........it's debarkation that can be a nightmare.

I do hope that if you aren't staying one night post cruise that your flight is noon or later.

Yes, you should fly in a day early. Read my recent post called Just off the Spirit - Flying In. After what just happened to my family I will never fly in day of the cruise. To sum it up, if 3 of my family flew in day of, they would have missed the cruise.

Jen in SoCal

We booked Mexican Riviera in April as well (12-23), and booked a flight for the day of. We would arrive at the airport at either 930 or 1030 (Don't remember the exact time my parents booked the flight for). Is this really risky? We booked a flight the day of our cruise when we left out of San Pedro a couple of years ago and had no problem with time. What kind of horror stories did you hear? Wondering if we should come in a day early...

On the Spirit we were told no self debark. If you had a flight before 12:30 you could go get earlier debark. If everything goes OK you will make it. However, on our ship there were 3 non US citizens they had trouble tracking down. Anything could delay the debark process and you may not make it. Also, when we dropped a cousin off at Southwest, the airport was very crowded. I usually find San Diego a pretty quick airport but not on a cruise debark day.

Jen in SoCal

I see that you are NE Ohio too! We most likely will be leaving out of Akron/Canton.. Not Hopkins because of price. We live in Sagamore Hills so Akron airport isn't horribly far. If we leave day of.. we would arrive at 10:30-11:30 San Diego time. The reason this concerns me is there is no direct flight from our area. We usually depart from Miami.. and that's a non-stop. So I guess it's the non-direct flight that makes me nervous.

You also mention about debarkation. I think I read on this board somewhere that there is NO self disembark in San Diego.. Is that correct? I see a US air flight that leaves at 11:10 am.. Is that too early??? I'm sooo confused! Thanks for all your help!

I forgot to ask : how far is Midway museum from this hotel? I'd leave the bags in hotel and go to see it before departure :), if possible.

From the Holiday Inn on the Bay, it is about 2 blocks to the USS Midway Museum. It is also right across the street from the San Diego Maritime Museum which has 6 ships that are also worth a visit.

From the Holiday Inn on the Bay, it is about 2 blocks to the USS Midway Museum. It is also right across the street from the San Diego Maritime Museum which has 6 ships that are also worth a visit.

Thank you, I will post photos when I get back :)

I'd not hesitate to Priceline any 4* hotel on Priceline in downtown San Diego. We did win a bid on the Holiday Inn across from the port once (we were not cruising) and I have to say, it's been our least favorite hotel stay in San Diego to date. Actually, I think we had to downgrade to a 3* for the bid, it was a football weekend and most places were sold out.

The only advantage is that it is directly across the street from the terminal. But....there are so many other far nicer hotels with just a little longer walk or inexpensive taxi ride in the downtown area. The hotel was clean, the bed was fine, blah blah blah, we had previous Priceline wins for less $ and far nicer accomodations.

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions! I've never been to California so it always helps to get suggestions! Happy Cruising!

Hello,

Thought that I would sum up for you the excellent advice you have had so far, and add some.

The airport, cruise terminal, hotels, restaurants and several interesting sites are within 15 minutes of each other. From the time you get your luggage (and remember for the Mexican Reviera you do not need a lot of clothes) and get on the hotel's shuttle bus you will be at your hotel in 15 minutes or so. From the hotel to the cruise terminal it is about 15 minutes or less from any of the hotels mentioned by the CCers.

Within this 15 minute radius, there are lots of hotels. The reason...San Diego is a major resort city as well as a financial center. Further, the US Navy has many installations here, and San Diego/La Jolla/UC San Diego is one of the world's foremost biotechnology and medical research centers. And it is a major gateway to countries south of the USA.

For a special treat, I would ask the hotel for a late check -out (1:00 PM) and go visit the USS Midway. From the Holiday Inn that is across the street from the cruise terminal you can walk to the USS Midway. And from any of the downtown hotels you can walk to the USS Midway as well. There are several reasons I suggest visiting the Midway. First, it is a part of our history. Second, the views from the flight deck are both interesting and inspiring. Third, you get to go inside and sit in a variety of airplanes. You can see the ship in about two hours more or even less but it is not to be missed. And remember the Midway is not about glorifying or militarism. It was built to respond to militarism, and boy did it ever!

As for flying in the same day, please tell your DH that all kinds of things can delay flights...weather, mechanical problems, medical emergencies by passengers, and so on. And it is not a waste of money (when he sees the Midway he'll agree that it was great to fly in early).

For a special treat, I would ask the hotel for a late check -out (1:00 PM) and go visit the USS Midway. From the Holiday Inn that is across the street from the cruise terminal you can walk to the USS Midway. And from any of the downtown hotels you can walk to the USS Midway as well. There are several reasons I suggest visiting the Midway. First, it is a part of our history. Second, the views from the flight deck are both interesting and inspiring. Third, you get to go inside and sit in a variety of airplanes. You can see the ship in about two hours more or even less but it is not to be missed. And remember the Midway is not about glorifying or militarism. It was built to respond to militarism, and boy did it ever!

Thank you :)

we will be flying in one day before cruise and leaving one day after so that my husband can visit the Midway (he is a MVCC member (Military vehicle collectors club) and WWII historian). On our return we will stay at Marriott, in centre, and have atour of the bay.

Your information has been greatly appreciated.

Archived