Hotels in San Diego

Lvs2Cruise2

Hello, DH and I have a 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise leaving out of San Diego in April. After reading all of the horror stories about same day flights we have opted to fly into San Diego the night before. Can someone please recommend a hotel in San Diego ? We don't arrive in San Diego until 10:30 pm so it will be too late do any sightseeing. So we're looking for convenience. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Since you will just be sleeping in the hotel it would be prudent to just get a cheap, practical hotel. I would recommend using Pricline (if there are two of you in your party) or Hotwire (if more than two) as you will be able to obtain a good hotel for a very discounted price. I just used Pricline for a hotel stay in San Diego (not for a cruise, but for a conference) and managed to land the Westin in downtwon for $80 per night.

We enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina last November (exciting to see our ship coming in the morning of embarkation as it sailed by!). There is a Holiday Inn directly across from where the ships dock and you can just walk across the street. You may want to check out the West Coast Departure forum for additional thoughts and suggestions. :)

I'm currently staying at the Hilton on Harbor Island Drive which is five minutes from the airport and 10 minutes or so from the cruise port. They have rooms facing the bay and you can watch the ship sail into port.

Hello, DH and I have a 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise leaving out of San Diego in April. After reading all of the horror stories about same day flights we have opted to fly into San Diego the night before. Can someone please recommend a hotel in San Diego ? We don't arrive in San Diego until 10:30 pm so it will be too late do any sightseeing. So we're looking for convenience. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It's not horror stories of flying into San Diego the day of embarkation because you are gaining 3 hours (seeing that you will be flying out of the same airport that we do)........it's debarkation that can be a nightmare.

I do hope that if you aren't staying one night post cruise that your flight is noon or later.

Hello, DH and I have a 10 day Mexican Riviera cruise leaving out of San Diego in April. After reading all of the horror stories about same day flights we have opted to fly into San Diego the night before.

We booked Mexican Riviera in April as well (12-23), and booked a flight for the day of. We would arrive at the airport at either 930 or 1030 (Don't remember the exact time my parents booked the flight for). Is this really risky? We booked a flight the day of our cruise when we left out of San Pedro a couple of years ago and had no problem with time. What kind of horror stories did you hear? Wondering if we should come in a day early...

It's not horror stories of flying into San Diego the day of embarkation because you are gaining 3 hours (seeing that you will be flying out of the same airport that we do)........it's debarkation that can be a nightmare.

I do hope that if you aren't staying one night post cruise that your flight is noon or later.

I see that you are NE Ohio too! We most likely will be leaving out of Akron/Canton.. Not Hopkins because of price. We live in Sagamore Hills so Akron airport isn't horribly far. If we leave day of.. we would arrive at 10:30-11:30 San Diego time. The reason this concerns me is there is no direct flight from our area. We usually depart from Miami.. and that's a non-stop. So I guess it's the non-direct flight that makes me nervous.

You also mention about debarkation. I think I read on this board somewhere that there is NO self disembark in San Diego.. Is that correct? I see a US air flight that leaves at 11:10 am.. Is that too early??? I'm sooo confused! Thanks for all your help!

We booked Mexican Riviera in April as well (12-23), and booked a flight for the day of. We would arrive at the airport at either 930 or 1030 (Don't remember the exact time my parents booked the flight for). Is this really risky? We booked a flight the day of our cruise when we left out of San Pedro a couple of years ago and had no problem with time. What kind of horror stories did you hear? Wondering if we should come in a day early...

We're on the sailing right after you! (23rd - 3rd). There was a thread on here the other day about 40 people getting held up in Philadelphia and missed the ship in San Juan. I always fly in day of.. but I'm nervous because our flight is not direct and who knows.. anything can happen. My DH thinks I'm nuts for wanting to fly in a day early because our flight arrives so late (we both have to work the day we would leave so we need a night flight) He thinks it's a waste of money to spend on a hotel. I would rather have peace of mind!

I see that you are NE Ohio too! We most likely will be leaving out of Akron/Canton.. Not Hopkins because of price. We live in Sagamore Hills so Akron airport isn't horribly far. If we leave day of.. we would arrive at 10:30-11:30 San Diego time. The reason this concerns me is there is no direct flight from our area. We usually depart from Miami.. and that's a non-stop. So I guess it's the non-direct flight that makes me nervous.

You also mention about debarkation. I think I read on this board somewhere that there is NO self disembark in San Diego.. Is that correct? I see a US air flight that leaves at 11:10 am.. Is that too early??? I'm sooo confused! Thanks for all your help!

Oops, I keep forgetting about that other airport with the cheaper flights!:D

Arriving into San Diego at 10:30-11:30 in the morning shouldn't be a problem since the ship doesn't sail out until 5:00 I believe. Of course, it would be so much better and so less stressful to arrive the day/night before. You know how the weather can be here in NE Ohio. If you make all of your connections, you should be fine. We flew out to San Diego the day after Thanksgiving on Continental with a connection in Houston and had no problem.

You are correct, it's the Port of San Diego that does not permit self debarkation any more. We have disembarked in San Diego many times and each time was different. I'm not trying to scare you, but I would not even attempt to book a flight before noon.

No one leaves the ship until it has been cleared by Customs and Immigration and it could go quickly and then it can be held up. Even though the airport is a stone's throw from the port, you still have to take into consideration that you are not the only ones going to the airport, the traffic and then checking in at the airport your luggage must be checked in 30 minutes prior to your flight or the won't let you on.

Hope this helps. I see that you are cruising on our most favorite ship, Radiance and I do hope that you have a wonderful time.

The Best Western bayside, Reasonable Rates and you can walk to the pier if you like, though the hotel will shuttle you there.

It's real close to Little Italy and sone good resturants. We ate at Filipe's, twice when we were there, reasonable and good. It's a typical family style Pizza/pasta place.

The Best Western bayside, Reasonable Rates and you can walk to the pier if you like, though the hotel will shuttle you there.

It's real close to Little Italy and sone good resturants. We ate at Filipe's, twice when we were there, reasonable and good. It's a typical family style Pizza/pasta place.

OMG....Filippe's Pizza Grotto in Little Italy has the best pizza!!

Either way, the Airport to Cruise Terminal is less then a 10 min drive.

From the Cruise Ship Terminal

Go west on North Harbor Drive toward West B Street.

Commuter Terminal is 1.7 miles ahead on right hand side; Terminal 1 and Terminal 2 are 1/4 and 1/2 mile beyond the Commuter Terminal.

I bid on Priceline and tend to win the Sheraton Marina on Harbor Island by bidding 4-star in the downtown/HI zone. I stayed at this hotel last year and it has two towers, both of which are decent. It's not in the middle of town, but it is right next to the airport, has a free shuttle, and is just around the bay from the cruise terminal. I actually spent 6 mornings in a row walking from the Sheraton, off Harbor Island, past the airport, and past the cruiseport to get to a conference last April. :)

We stayed at the HI At The Bay (the one near the airport, not across from the terminal) in September and were very happy with it. It had a free shuttle to the port and was reasonable. Older, but clean. DH is in sales and San Diego is in his territory. He now stays there all the time as it is a good location for him.

We will be going back to San Diego in a few weeks (2/20 & 2/21) just for a weekend getaway. I will fly home on Monday and DH will stay there to work. I did win the W Hotel Downtown, 4*, for $80 a night for that stay. You may want to give Priceline a try. The port is convenient to the Downtown Hotels and if the hotel does not provide a shuttle a cab would be not very expensive.

The Gaslamp area of downtown Tampa is great. Good restaurants, bars and 4star hotels. We use Priceline and/or Hotwire and get the Marriott Gaslamp or the Solamar for around $70.00 per night. You`re only a 5 minute cab ride from the pier.

Ralph`s supermarket is nearby for your cruise supplies including wine and booze.

Rich

The Gaslamp area of downtown Tampa is great. Good restaurants, bars and 4star hotels. We use Priceline and/or Hotwire and get the Marriott Gaslamp or the Solamar for around $70.00 per night. You`re only a 5 minute cab ride from the pier.

Ralph`s supermarket is nearby for your cruise supplies including wine and booze.

Rich

But the OP is going to be doing a cruise out of San Diego.:eek::D Radiance doesn't arrive in Tampa until October 9th of this year!

Have shopped at Ralph's many times for juice and soda to take on board.

We enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel & Marina last November (exciting to see our ship coming in the morning of embarkation as it sailed by!). There is a Holiday Inn directly across from where the ships dock and you can just walk across the street. You may want to check out the West Coast Departure forum for additional thoughts and suggestions. :)

Hello, I am flying in from Honolulu and will be booking at the Holiday Inn Bayside, is it the one across the pier where ships dock?

is there a shuttle to the ship? I would not want to drag around my suitcases.

Is the shop called "Ralph's" near enough so I can buy the last items I may need on the ship, including mineral water?

Archived