Ramada Ft. Lauderdale Airport/ Cruise Port the Worst Ever

mdmgso

My main complaint was the price was doubled when we needed a room because our flight was cancelled due to the snowstorm in PA. We were changed pre-cruise $140.00 a nite. When our daughter called to rebook a room when she found out our flight was cancelled the price was 249.00 a nite (due to Super Bowl weekend) so they say. The worst part was we were stuck there for 3 nites and there is literally nothing you can walk to to do

everything is taxi fare. Plus we could not cancelled and go someplace else as there were no refunds on the nites we had to stay. Making megabucks and not reinvesting in the hotel this is a little goldmine for the owner.

Thanks for your post and for confirming that I made the right decision! I almost paid over $180 to stay here for 1 night. I found better price at Best Western FL South Inn & Suites now... and sounds like it must be a better stay than this Ramada.

Stayed there in '08 and again in '09 ... found it to be clean and well-run with friendly and efficient staff. Nice breakfast buffet and lovely pool area. Can't speak to the airport/hotel shuttle, as we rented a car both years, but the hotel/pier shuttle worked well for us ... make sure you sign up for your preferred time when you check in at the hotel.

Across from the Sleep Inn is a Walgreens drugstore and across the street is a strip mall with a Publix grocery and a couple of eateries ... the Mexican restaurant there is quite good.

Thanks! Sounds like we have a winner! Since we are flying in to town, the stores will give us a chance to purchase what we forget or can't bring! We just like starting our vacation with a relaxing day at the pool and a nice meal- don't need anything fancy.:)

Hello CC helpers,

After reading this message I'm a bit worried about my up coming reservations at the ramada. I have 3 rooms reserved for our pre cruise, and not sure if it's such a good idea now, I will also need 1 night after cruise, and haven't made those reservations yet. Our group is looking for a decent place to stay and don't really need anything fancy, but also don't want to stay in a hotel that is dirty or bugs. The prices were paying is $75.00 which is pretty good, but would consider changing if needed. Any thoughts\suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure when you are going, but check out Extended Stay America. Some of the people on our roll call are staying there, and when I checked the prices, it was very reasonable.

Plus it is in a good location, on 17th st. and close to lots of shopping and restaurants.

When I checked it was under $100 a night. That is for next Jan. tho, so it may be more now.

Thank you for your quick reply bills blasters, we are cruising on 3\13\2010.

I would try bidding on Priceline. For the $75 you are paying for the Ramada, you can get a nice place in a great area. betterbidding.com has information about how to bid, plus a list of hotels which come up in the area. Though the list isn't a guarantee, you will see the likely possibilities and the general level of hotel.

You make a good point. I have read numerous posts on here by people who don't recommend some hotels because of where they are..or the name..and those people haven't stayed in them.

Another hotel that gets a bad rap is El Palacio..I've never stayed there, but have extended family who do and they never had any complaints. But they wanted a clean comfortable room at a lower price so they got what they wanted.

Then there are the people that cry because they have to spend more than 89.99 for a hotel in Miami or Fort Lauderdale and they expect the Ritz, rather than doing research on market rates for that area. Those posts make me laugh the most. You have to come to this area expecting to spend money due to the area. This is a very competitve area for hotels, and 99% of the hotels here are going to be decent just because they can't afford to lose the buisness. Even "good" hotels have their share of issues. I was staying at the Marriott once in a very nice tourist area and the front desk got robbed in broad daylight. So there are problems evreywhere.

Well I must agree with many points made by Want2gomore! We are very economical people and we prefer to ”cruisemore” and are able to do just that make making wise financial decisions. We have certainly stayed in better hotels, but have paid a whole lot more for them!! :eek: We have stayed at the Ramada Airport/Cruise Port 2 times (6 nights so far) and are booked for a 3rd this Dec. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for, and you should expect to have your REASONABLE expectations met. Just what do you expect when you are staying at a 2 star hotel and paying $75.00 per night? It ain’t the Ritz you’re paying for!!! Do you expect Celebrity quality for Carnival prices? Do your research, toss out the highs and lows and remember, you are on a holiday, how lucky can you be and how bad can it be?! If it’s clean, in satisfactory condition and is working, good enough for me! :) I’m not staying there for long and I always know something much better is just a day or two away!

What's included in your $75 bucks? Answer: Transportation to/from airport & cruiseport, a nice hot buffet breakfast, a clean comfortable room, a business centre with 2 computers, a wonderfully landscaped pool area with Tiki Bar :D, an on-site restaurant & a bar. We’ve had no problems with unfriendly or unhelpful staff. The only problems we have ever had were listening to people and their perceived sense of self-importance and entitlement and being bumped further down the departure shuttle list by fellow cruisers who arrived days after us, but were obviously much more important than us, that the “first to register, first to go” rule was tossed just to accommodate them! :eek: Big deal! We all made the ship and still had plenty of time to eat, drink, & explore! Congratulations on getting there an hour before us, you’re good , hope it was worth it! :rolleyes:

If you all go find somewhere else to stay that will keep the rates down for people like Want2go more and others likeminded. Boy I feel better now, guess it’s time to get off the soap box!

Happy cruising to all and to all a pleasant hotel stay!

I have never bid on priceline, but I thought I read some where, if you needed more then one room, not to use priceline, I need three.

Normally its if you need to put more than 2 ppl in a room don't use Priceline because you can't guarantee they will have room for 3+. But Priceline lets you bid on multiple rooms.

Well I must agree with many points made by Want2gomore! We are very economical people and we prefer to ”cruisemore” and are able to do just that make making wise financial decisions. We have certainly stayed in better hotels, but have paid a whole lot more for them!! :eek: We have stayed at the Ramada Airport/Cruise Port 2 times (6 nights so far) and are booked for a 3rd this Dec. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for, and you should expect to have your REASONABLE expectations met. Just what do you expect when you are staying at a 2 star hotel and paying $75.00 per night? It ain’t the Ritz you’re paying for!!! Do you expect Celebrity quality for Carnival prices? Do your research, toss out the highs and lows and remember, you are on a holiday, how lucky can you be and how bad can it be?! If it’s clean, in satisfactory condition and is working, good enough for me! :) I’m not staying there for long and I always know something much better is just a day or two away!

What's included in your $75 bucks? Answer: Transportation to/from airport & cruiseport, a nice hot buffet breakfast, a clean comfortable room, a business centre with 2 computers, a wonderfully landscaped pool area with Tiki Bar :D, an on-site restaurant & a bar. We’ve had no problems with unfriendly or unhelpful staff. The only problems we have ever had were listening to people and their perceived sense of self-importance and entitlement and being bumped further down the departure shuttle list by fellow cruisers who arrived days after us, but were obviously much more important than us, that the “first to register, first to go” rule was tossed just to accommodate them! :eek: Big deal! We all made the ship and still had plenty of time to eat, drink, & explore! Congratulations on getting there an hour before us, you’re good , hope it was worth it! :rolleyes:

If you all go find somewhere else to stay that will keep the rates down for people like Want2go more and others likeminded. Boy I feel better now, guess it’s time to get off the soap box!

Happy cruising to all and to all a pleasant hotel stay!

Absolutely one of the best postings I have seen in a very long time.

I have never bid on priceline, but I thought I read some where, if you needed more then one room, not to use priceline, I need three.

I was able to get 2 rooms on priceline so I assume you can get 3 (or more?)

And more info:

Sleep Inn, Dania: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34168-d266168-Reviews-Sleep_Inn_Ft_Lauderdale_International_Airport-Dania_Beach_Florida.html

Ramada Inn airport/cruiseport (does sound pretty bad!)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d472238-Reviews-Ramada_Inn_Fort_Lauderdale_Airport_Cruiseport-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Rodeway Inn FLL airport/cruiseport:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34227-d601614-Reviews-Rodeway_Inn_Suites_Airport_Cruise_Port-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html

Take your pick!

Thank you everyone for your advice, I went to priceline and bid on a hotel for two different night Pre\post cruise, and canceled the ramada stay, I hope it works out ok for the other people I'm with. I tried for 2 days and finally got it. 3\12 at Hyatt place airport norht for 80.00 times 3 rooms, then on 3\21 Riverside hotel for 85.00 times 3. I seen other people get rooms cheaper, I started at 50.00 with no luck, and maybe due to the time and last minute deal, I'm not sure, but all in all I'm saving about 100.00, that works for me.

Thank you everyone for your advice, I went to priceline and bid on a hotel for two different night Pre\post cruise, and canceled the ramada stay, I hope it works out ok for the other people I'm with. I tried for 2 days and finally got it. 3\12 at Hyatt place airport norht for 80.00 times 3 rooms, then on 3\21 Riverside hotel for 85.00 times 3. I seen other people get rooms cheaper, I started at 50.00 with no luck, and maybe due to the time and last minute deal, I'm not sure, but all in all I'm saving about 100.00, that works for me.

You got an outstanding deal and you will love The Riverside Hotel on Las Olas.

Sounds like you're happy with what you have decided to do, and that is what is important in enjoying those days leading up to your trip and the anticipation factor. Have a great cruise.

blueherons, have you stayed at the Riverside?, I couldn't find much information on the hotel, but will keep looking.

Some good info/reviews here!: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g34227-d114368-r55040641-Riverside_Hotel-Fort_Lauderdale_Florida.html#CHECK_RATES_CONT (sounds like the hotel is pretty good, but avoid the restaurant - repeated issues with service?)

blueherons, have you stayed at the Riverside?, I couldn't find much information on the hotel, but will keep looking.

It has been a long time because my best friend and her husband have a second home in Fort Lauderdale but I spend a lot of time on Las Olas.

It is a great hotel in a very central location. While I would not call it a luxury hotel, it is certainly much nicer than a moderate hotel.

I think you will be very happy with your choice.

Heh, read my review from 04/07. Who knows, maybe they stripped the joint and they have new management since then. If not...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=530341

Sounds like it is not that bad? Recent reviews here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g34168-d266168-Reviews-Sleep_Inn_Ft_Lauderdale_International_Airport-Dania_Beach_Florida.html

Like I said, maybe they stripped the place and put in new management since then. All I know is our family is never going back there and I steer all of my friends and family away from there that are cruising out of FLL.

Archived