Ramada Ft. Lauderdale Airport/ Cruise Port the Worst Ever

mdmgso

We stayed at the Ramada Ft. Lauderdale Airport/ Cruise Port on January 22, 2010 precruise on the Regent Navigator. What the motel sales is proximity to the airport and cruise port, free shuttle from the airport and to the cruise port and included hot breakfast buffet. First, there are a number of newer properties in closer proximity to the airport and cruiseport. Do a Google map search for hotels near the cruise port to see closer facilities

Here is our experience.

Pre-arrival: I tried on numerous occasions over a period of week prior to arrival to confirm the reservation, obtain the particulars for airport pick up and to arrange a time for cruise port transportation. No one would answer the phone.

Arrival: When we arrived at the airport, there was no shuttle in sight. We tried to contact the motel using the courtesy phone and our cell phones - again, no answer. After thirty minutes we took a cab.

When we arrived at the property, we were shocked by the exterior condition of the property. It appeared to have been cheaply built in the 60's or early 70's, and it further appeared no one had spent a penny on maintenance or modernization since it was built.

We arrived at 2:00 pm and upon entering the lobby, there were at least twenty people waiting to check in. There were only two people working the reception desk, and they were clearly in no hurry. We found out why we couldn't contact the motel by phone. In addition to check in, the desk people were apparently expected to answer the constantly ringing telephone which they completely ignored. The manager was walking around doing nothing other than being surly to the guests who were complaining about the delays and about rooms not being ready. We waited in line one hour to check in.

The desk person who finally checked us in was completely unconcerned that we had waited so long or that we had been unable to contact them about the airport shuttle and had to take a cab. Further, when we asked about transportation to the cruise port next day, he said no arrangements had been made and that our ship was not leaving from FT. Lauderdale - which of course it was. He told us he would leave word with the transportation director who would contact us later in the afternoon to confirm the necessary arrangements. He of course never did.

When we finally finished check in at 3:30, we were first told that our room was not ready. I made it clear that was totally unacceptable, and a room became mysteriously available. There were no bell boys to assist with the bags so we had to haul our bags upstairs to the room.

If the exterior of the property looked antiquated, it looked brand new compared to the interior. Everything was worn, old and dirty. The sink and bathroom looked like something you would see in the movies depicting a sleazy mom and pop roadside motel in the rural Deep South in the 60's. The air conditioning unit had two speeds - full cold and off. When it cycled on and ran, it sounded like a 747 jet was landing in the room. It stayed on until it was freezing cold and would turn off with a loud thunk, only to start the cycle again a few minutes later, which created the perfect sleeping environment

The bar area and the restaurant did not open until 6:00 PM, so we were forced to grab something out of a vending machine.

It took half an hour and three calls to the lobby to get a password for the Wifi that would work.

Departure: This completely mirrored check in. There were long lines, indifferent desk people, the same surly manager and constantly unanswered ringing telephones. No one had contacted the transportation director, so I had to go find him myself. He was totally unconcerned and completely unhelpful, and tried to tell me how hard his job was. As you might imagine, I was not sympathetic at that point. We had to take a taxi to the cruise terminal, which probably was just as well considering that the guests were being packed into delapidated mini busses the were running an hour late.

In summary, there was not a single aspect of our stay that was acceptable. I am very familiar with hotel/ motel operations as part of my work. The property is understaffed by at least fifty percent. The morale and customer service emphasis is nonexistent. The communications and computer system is totally inadequate and probably out dated. The restaurant/bar operation is abysmal. The common areas/ lobby/ bar and food service areas are half as large as the should be for that size facility. Given the room rate being charged and the clear lack of money being turned back into the property for modernization, maintenance, housekeeping and operations, it is clear that someone is making a mint at the expense of the guests, and will continue to do so until the word gets out or Ramada steps in.

My wife and I travel a great deal for both business and pleasure. This is the worst motel in which either of us have ever stayed.

We have stayed there 2x as we only need a place to sleep. We usually fly the night before after work, so we only need a place to sleep. Plus, we usually cruise out POM. They offer a shuttle.

Although the airport is dated, we have found that it suits our needs. We haven't had the check-in issues but that could be because of the time we arrive. The hot breakfast is suffice. The 2 times we stayed there, we were the only ones going to POM, so we arranged a pick-up time at check-in and our driver was there early. Both times, our shuttle was a Lincoln TownCar. We have had no issues with communicating with them either by email, cell phone or the courtesy phone.

Did you do any research on this hotel prior to your cruise? While I don't believe everything that is on trip advisor, the reviews for that hotel were horrible. Usually you can throw out the perfect review and the terrible review and go for the middle of the road, but there was no middle of the road, they were all terrible.

You say you travel a lot but you were expecting a bellhop at a Ramada????

Why didn't you go back downstairs and tell them you weren't staying? I have walked out of hotels in the past if they were disgusting and gone down the road to somewhere else.

Sorry you had such a bad experience but you chose to stay. Next time, turn in your key, get a refund and leave.

Did you do any research on this hotel prior to your cruise? While I don't believe everything that is on trip advisor, the reviews for that hotel were horrible. Usually you can throw out the perfect review and the terrible review and go for the middle of the road, but there was no middle of the road, they were all terrible.

You say you travel a lot but you were expecting a bellhop at a Ramada????

Why didn't you go back downstairs and tell them you weren't staying? I have walked out of hotels in the past if they were disgusting and gone down the road to somewhere else.

Sorry you had such a bad experience but you chose to stay. Next time, turn in your key, get a refund and leave.

That was my thought too. Why did you stay? Could you not have called around and found another room available. I also agree with the bellhop comment - motels don't have them.

Thanks OP for the warning, I thought that the Rodeway Inn was bad, but, the Ramada sounds worse. :(

Oh, boy! We've got reservations for the Rodeway for February 19. What was bad about it? Should we cancel and go elsewhere?

And, to top it off, we're staying at the Ramada Resort for three nights post-cruise as part of a time-share deal. Been reading the boards and we aren't happy about it but we can't cancel without paying a big fee. I've got my bedding, room spray, candles, bug killer, etc. all packed in case we need it!

Please tell me the scoop on both these properties.

Thanks.

I would not stay at a Rodeway, anywhere! You can use Priceline and end up with a resort for less than a room at the Rodeway.

We want to do this. How many stars should I ask for - and how much $$$ should I offer.

mdmgso, sorry for your horrible stay and thanks for posting back. However, if you would have done a search on this board you would have found we try and steer people clear of this hotel. In fact, most Ramadas.

The Rodeway Inn is also a dump.

However, people always seem to stumble on these threads and rant about what a wonderful stay they had at whatever motel hell we are discussing.

Thanks OP for the warning, I thought that the Rodeway Inn was bad, but, the Ramada sounds worse. :(

Oh, boy! We've got reservations for the Rodeway for February 19. What was bad about it? Should we cancel and go elsewhere?

And, to top it off, we're staying at the Ramada Resort for three nights post-cruise as part of a time-share deal. Been reading the boards and we aren't happy about it but we can't cancel without paying a big fee. I've got my bedding, room spray, candles, bug killer, etc. all packed in case we need it!

Please tell me the scoop on both these properties.

Thanks.

My experience at the Rodeway (over a year ago) was similar to the OP's experience at the Ramada with a disorganized airport shuttle & check-in & 'no-tell motel'-type room. To top it off, my review on another site was refuted by the manager with a couple of lame excuses and lies. As a matter of fact, he used to post on CruiseCritic attempting to promote the Rodeway in disguise.

At any rate, the place is cheap, the wifi works well, and the shuttle to the cruise port WAS very organized. Several posters have had good experiences there, so, you will be fine for a short stay if you ask for a remodeled room.

My experience at the Rodeway (over a year ago) was similar to the OP's experience at the Ramada with a disorganized airport shuttle & check-in & 'no-tell motel'-type room. To top it off, my review on another site was refuted by the manager with a couple of lame excuses and lies. As a matter of fact, he used to post on CruiseCritic attempting to promote the Rodeway in disguise.

Do you remember how long ago that was? I did not know the manager was on cruise critic. I had a horrible experience with them boat show a couple of years ago (booked eight rooms) and someone on CC basically told me I was crazy or something.

Do you remember how long ago that was? I did not know the manager was on cruise critic. I had a horrible experience with them boat show a couple of years ago (booked eight rooms) and someone on CC basically told me I was crazy or something.

Only a few posts for him, most being in April 2009. Sounds like it was someone else.

I'll begin this post by saying I'm cheap and not really picky. If it doesn't have roaches and hair in the tub or bed. I'll sleep under the sheets after I remove the bedspread :)

We stayed at the Ramada Inn twice - once in February 2006 and again in February 2008 for one night each stay. It offers a free shuttle from the airport to the cruise port and I thought a breakfast. The only problem we had was that we had arrived early the day prior to the cruise and the hotel had signup sheets for different times for the shuttle to the port When we went to the lobby in the morning...it "appeared" that one of our fellow cruisers who had arrived later that day or evening had crossed our names off of the top of the list and added their group. Fortunately we had arrived at the desk for the shuttle earlier and because all the spaces were filled.. the motel had requested another earlier shuttle which we then took. So all in all no real problems there. I don't think I paid more than $80.00 for the rooms both times.

We stayed at the Rodeway in February 2009 and have them booked again for a night before our cruise on March 4th. Last year we had a fantastic stay with them...for some reason we were given one of their suites. which was newly remodeled and had 2 flat screen tvs. I had booked through Veneer.com and paid $99.00. Actually I think all the other cruisers spending the night made it more fun. We met a group on the patio and all went to dinner at the bar and had a wonderful evening. The hotel offered a run to Walgreens and the liquor store prior to the port shuttle. ($5.00??) It was busy in the lobby and the manager? was continually making announcements and trying to keep things moving. He became a little aggravating after a while, but seemed to keep us up to date if you listened to him. Hopefully our stay will be just as fun this time.

Sorry this is so long, but wanted to give a different view. Don't expect too much as you will be getting what you pay for. I wanted a clean room in area that didn't feel unsafe and I got that. Now the Comfort Inn and public transit in Miami was a different story, but that's another day.

Years ago we had a terrible experience with a Ramanda in Miami area (woman with shopping cart getting into elevator with us...maybe used as a temporary placement for homeless people??), little flies coming out of the bathroom sink, etc. It was almost midnight but we went to the desk & told the person at the desk to start finding a better hotel for us & they would be the one driving us there in their van! Terrible response when we wrote to Ramamda corporate office. I swore them off after that experience.

But back to Ft. Laurderdale....we stayed in the LaQuinta Hollywood when sailing out of Ft. L. and it was very reasonable, included breakfast & shuttle from airport to hotel & then to pier in the a.m.. No bellhop service & rooms were your standard no extra frills, exactly what I expected for what I paid...actually nicer than I thought it would be. Nice grounds with a gazebo where I sat and read and 15 minute walk to a strip of stores for last minute items.

I'll begin this post by saying I'm cheap and not really picky. If it doesn't have roaches and hair in the tub or bed. I'll sleep under the sheets after I remove the bedspread :)

We stayed at the Ramada Inn twice - once in February 2006 and again in February 2008 for one night each stay. It offers a free shuttle from the airport to the cruise port and I thought a breakfast. The only problem we had was that we had arrived early the day prior to the cruise and the hotel had signup sheets for different times for the shuttle to the port When we went to the lobby in the morning...it "appeared" that one of our fellow cruisers who had arrived later that day or evening had crossed our names off of the top of the list and added their group. Fortunately we had arrived at the desk for the shuttle earlier and because all the spaces were filled.. the motel had requested another earlier shuttle which we then took. So all in all no real problems there. I don't think I paid more than $80.00 for the rooms both times.

Sorry this is so long, but wanted to give a different view. Don't expect too much as you will be getting what you pay for. I wanted a clean room in area that didn't feel unsafe and I got that.

Well I must agree with many points made by Want2gomore! We are very economical people and we prefer to ”cruisemore” and are able to do just that make making wise financial decisions. We have certainly stayed in better hotels, but have paid a whole lot more for them!! :eek: We have stayed at the Ramada Airport/Cruise Port 2 times (6 nights so far) and are booked for a 3rd this Dec. Like everything else in life, you get what you pay for, and you should expect to have your REASONABLE expectations met. Just what do you expect when you are staying at a 2 star hotel and paying $75.00 per night? It ain’t the Ritz you’re paying for!!! Do you expect Celebrity quality for Carnival prices? Do your research, toss out the highs and lows and remember, you are on a holiday, how lucky can you be and how bad can it be?! If it’s clean, in satisfactory condition and is working, good enough for me! :) I’m not staying there for long and I always know something much better is just a day or two away!

What's included in your $75 bucks? Answer: Transportation to/from airport & cruiseport, a nice hot buffet breakfast, a clean comfortable room, a business centre with 2 computers, a wonderfully landscaped pool area with Tiki Bar :D, an on-site restaurant & a bar. We’ve had no problems with unfriendly or unhelpful staff. The only problems we have ever had were listening to people and their perceived sense of self-importance and entitlement and being bumped further down the departure shuttle list by fellow cruisers who arrived days after us, but were obviously much more important than us, that the “first to register, first to go” rule was tossed just to accommodate them! :eek: Big deal! We all made the ship and still had plenty of time to eat, drink, & explore! Congratulations on getting there an hour before us, you’re good , hope it was worth it! :rolleyes:

If you all go find somewhere else to stay that will keep the rates down for people like Want2go more and others likeminded. Boy I feel better now, guess it’s time to get off the soap box!

Happy cruising to all and to all a pleasant hotel stay!

Swan 5... I think you mis-understood my comment about the list for the shuttle. I am not one of those people that feel entitled..very far from it if you actually met me. It's the fact that the other people crossed our names off the list...maybe they felt entitled? I don't know...wouldn't make that statement unless I met them and I still would give them the benefit.

I feel bad when I make a post on CC to give an opinion and still get slammed.

Swan 5... I think you mis-understood my comment about the list for the shuttle. I am not one of those people that feel entitled..very far from it if you actually met me. It's the fact that the other people crossed our names off the list...maybe they felt entitled? I don't know...wouldn't make that statement unless I met them and I still would give them the benefit.

I feel bad when I make a post on CC to give an opinion and still get slammed.

:o Sorry if my post was confusing for you!, I was not slamming you, just sharing your frustration of what other people will do "just because they think they can". It happens often enough that it's a close second behind watching runners at ports who almost miss the ship. Not sure what ever happened to common courtesy! Actually it sounds like you and I are very much on the same page about reasonable expectations. Sorry again for any confusion (even my hubby, my post editor missed it!) :)

Anyone stayed at the Sleep Inn in Dania? Free airport shuttle, Free port shuttle, free breakfast. Hope we made a good choice???

Stayed there in '08 and again in '09 ... found it to be clean and well-run with friendly and efficient staff. Nice breakfast buffet and lovely pool area. Can't speak to the airport/hotel shuttle, as we rented a car both years, but the hotel/pier shuttle worked well for us ... make sure you sign up for your preferred time when you check in at the hotel.

Across from the Sleep Inn is a Walgreens drugstore and across the street is a strip mall with a Publix grocery and a couple of eateries ... the Mexican restaurant there is quite good.

Archived