Snow Storm in the Northeast.....

Dspcentury

Maryland here - just 15-30 min north of the port. It has FINALLY stopped snowing. I can't open front or back door, went out the garage to get to the heat pump and dig it out - haven't even tried anywhere else. We have officially broken all records - they measure at the airport - the outlying areas are worse.

My daughter, who works the graveyard shift at the busiest ER in the state - she and her co-workers have been at a hotel in White Marsh since Friday afternoon. Usually they send 4 x 4 drivers for essential personnel - that wasn't going to work this time - they brought them all in and put them in a hotel near the hospital at the start of the storm. They initially were paying for them to stay thru Sat night shifts - now they are paying for the rooms until Monday.

It's bad out there. I95 N had one lane open - 2 tractor trailers have jackknifed and they are trying to get to them. Last report (5pm) the backup was over 6 miles, 800 cars, and had been stuck since 11:30am. The Governor came on the media and said if they can hear him, they know they are there, haven't forgotten them, stay put and they and the National Guard are trying to get to them.

If you are heading to port tomorrow - good luck and be safe!

NO SOUTHWEST FLIGHTS in or out of Pittsburgh, Philly, Baltimore or Dulles On Sunday. Most are canceled on Monday.

Oh, yuck! Our USAIR noon flight from Philly tomorrow was cancelled this evening, but luckily we were keeping tabs and got booked on the 6:00 flight. Now I just hope that one makes it out...GOTTA be on the Imagination Monday...........

Here's my neighborhood- 28inches and still snowing. The winds are picking up now also

2767793220104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

2801481370104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

2787647120104390106S500x500Q85.jpg

I really feel for you guys, as a transplant from NJ, but man these pics sure are pretty! I hope everyone makes their cruise and all of you dealing with the aftermath be safe out there!!

So where does it go when it melts?

Storm drains do not go through the water treatment plants. :confused:

Here's a forum I just found. I have no answer, except the local news stations have mentioned that they won't be dumping in the Inner Harbor or the Chesapeake Bay. ;)

http://talk.baltimoresun.com/showthread.php?p=5813939

So where does it go when it melts?

Storm drains do not go through the water treatment plants. :confused:

Well, I've just been corrected by a poster. I was simply posting what I heard on the local news. I've done no reading on this topic. :rolleyes:

This is what the poster says:

EPA does prohibit dumping heavily treated snow into waterways. The likelihood of 30 inches of snow by the terminal having been treated at all with the exception of the molasses mix put down early on friday, even with any salt being enough to raise the salinity of the harbor is hypothetical given this is a tidal waterway. The other choice would be to dump it on the other side of the fence since it is all part of stae property, which would work just as well. In either case, it will eventually end up in the bay. Most of the cases that involved actual pollution from doing such dumping occurred on land locked bodies of water.

Well, I've just been corrected by a poster. I was simply posting what I heard on the local news. I've done no reading on this topic. :rolleyes:

This is what the poster says:

EPA does prohibit dumping heavily treated snow into waterways. The likelihood of 30 inches of snow by the terminal having been treated at all with the exception of the molasses mix put down early on friday, even with any salt being enough to raise the salinity of the harbor is hypothetical given this is a tidal waterway. The other choice would be to dump it on the other side of the fence since it is all part of stae property, which would work just as well. In either case, it will eventually end up in the bay. Most of the cases that involved actual pollution from doing such dumping occurred on land locked bodies of water.

No problem....it just made me wonder how many times they might have violated EPA rules here...LOL :eek:

I've seen back loaders dumping into rivers during big snow storm removals and in the heart of the city they sometimes employ machines that melt the snow and dispose of the water into the storm drain systems, as there is no space to pile snow in the business districts.

funny...local news has become as dependable as the internet for supplying actual facts....LOL :p:rolleyes:

Archived