Snow Storm in the Northeast.....

Dspcentury

Its not misfortune, its a choice.You choose to live in an area that could/does get snow in the middle of the winter,you run the risk of getting snow. I choose to live in a hurricane prone area and if we get one,it is what could happen. Being from the North east 5 years ago, I enjoy seeing what I chose to leave.

So if one smokes all their life and gets lung cancer, would that be misfortune as well?

Steve

All I can say to this is "I 'll pray for you".

All I can say to this is "I 'll pray for you".

Thanks, I need a miracle to get out of this thread now.:o

When re-reading what I posted,it was not my intention for the OP to get dumped on,but family and friends back north,considering it did hit 80 and I did play golf today.

Steve

Thanks, I need a miracle to get out of this thread now.:o

When re-reading what I posted,it was not my intention for the OP to get dumped on,but family and friends back north,considering it did hit 80 and I did play golf today.

Steve

Well THAT makes me feel a little better, maybe that 80 gave you a change of heart ;)..Our piddly 15 inches is nothing compared to the 30 inches that the east coast and DC are getting...my hearts go out to anyone trying to leave from those cities...they most likely won't see planes departing till at least Sunday and that is iffy...at least we have a small chance of making it out of here tomorrow (that is if they don't cancel anymore flights..many cancelled already so we'll see) ...they have none..so I thank my lucky stars and if I have to catch up with the ship in Acapulco..so be it..:p

Well THAT makes me feel a little better, maybe that 80 gave you a change of heart ;)..Our piddly 15 inches is nothing compared to the 30 inches that the east coast and DC are getting...my hearts go out to anyone trying to leave from those cities...they most likely won't see planes departing till at least Sunday and that is iffy...at least we have a small chance of making it out of here tomorrow (that is if they don't cancel anymore flights..many cancelled already so we'll see) ...they have none..so I thank my lucky stars and if I have to catch up with the ship in Acapulco..so be it..:p

We had great direct flights out of DC on Sunday to San Juan, but American Airlines called late last night to say they had cancelled our flight until Monday!! Panic does not describe what I went through last night! We finally got another flight out of Raleigh, but of course it has a "connecting" flight in Miami so depending on where these other flights originate, we could still miss the ship. We are supposed to get there around 2:55 p.m. I'm so bummed right now, but when I look at what DC is getting..............what can I say?!! I live in Richmond and we are still not out of the woods, but hopefully we are leaving early enough in the morning that we'll miss it all. What a pain, especially the drive back to Richmond at 10:30 at night when we return. Oh well, hopefully in 2 days I'll be on the ship with a girlie drink in my hand!! :-)

I've never seen anybody wish a hurricane on anybody who chooses to live in the warm, southern climates, so why would you wish a blizzard on those of us who have no choice (due to job and family obligations) to live in the Mid-Atlantic states. Remeber what they say about what goes around comes around...

Actually, there are LOTS and I mean LOTS of people who wish snow storms and especially hurricanes on places in the US. They are called insurance adjusters. I should know, that's how I get paid.

At least the cruiseships will not be cancelled. That is why we love cruising out of NY in January. It gives us the option of driving down to NY a day sooner if bad weather develops.

We love driving to Loon Mountain in NH (www.loonmtn.com) after a snowstorm. However, somebody must have ticked off the snow gods to send all that snow south. Perhaps they are trying to give the PA ski areas some extra revenue.

My son in LA can't wait until he can relocate back home near Plymouth Rock. He misses living in New England for many reasons--including weather. Like so many people who travel alot, we enjoy a cruise in January and spending time in Florida in February. By March, we are ready to head home for Spring and enjoy the rest of the year in New England until our next January cruise.

Crossing my fingers that our flight from Boston to Florida next Wednesday goes off on schedule and that the predicted storm goes out to sea!

Safe travels everyone. Hope you all have a bottle of wine and a nice fire and that the kids all have fun sledding, skiing, or snowboarding. Winter can be fun!

I hope everyone makes their ships on time. Meowsmurphy I'm in Toledo and it didn't start snowing here until about 4 P.M. ground covered by 5:30. They say we are only going to get about 2-3 inches. Hope you can make it out in time. Could you possibly drive to Detriot and get a flight out?

We had great direct flights out of DC on Sunday to San Juan, but American Airlines called late last night to say they had cancelled our flight until Monday!! Panic does not describe what I went through last night! We finally got another flight out of Raleigh, but of course it has a "connecting" flight in Miami so depending on where these other flights originate, we could still miss the ship. We are supposed to get there around 2:55 p.m. I'm so bummed right now, but when I look at what DC is getting..............what can I say?!! I live in Richmond and we are still not out of the woods, but hopefully we are leaving early enough in the morning that we'll miss it all. What a pain, especially the drive back to Richmond at 10:30 at night when we return. Oh well, hopefully in 2 days I'll be on the ship with a girlie drink in my hand!! :-)

Good Luck..Hopefully we will both have Miami Vice's in our hands real soon..I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..

I hope everyone makes their ships on time. Meowsmurphy I'm in Toledo and it didn't start snowing here until about 4 P.M. ground covered by 5:30. They say we are only going to get about 2-3 inches. Hope you can make it out in time. Could you possibly drive to Detriot and get a flight out?

Well normally it's you guys and Cleveland that gets all the snow...we usually just skate by on the fringe...still snowing hard and we have about 8-10 inches on the ground, prediction is around 14 -15 inches..way too much for Columbus to handle :rolleyes:...supposed to continue thru the night..DH keeps telling me not to worry we'll make it out...guess I just have to trust that is the case...:o..unfortunately driving to Detroit is out of the question..If I'm not back on tomorrow night you'll know we at least got off the ground :p

Hi Meows from a Columbus neighbor :)! I hope you guys get outta here OK tomorrow! Those not from here can't possibly understand the way our weather forecasters overblow everything 95% of the time and how truly terrible the snow removal is in this city when the "white death" actually does come to pass :mad:.

DH and I were talking earlier about what if we were leaving for a cruise this weekend. We're driving down in late March, so hopefully it won't be a problem. But, I seriously would have left yesterday for a Sunday cruise from the south...Work be darned! Fire me! :p

Hope everyone stays safe. And, Steveaaaa...try to be nice, will ya? MLB is our usual family vaycay place when not cruising (DH's parents live there in the winter). We're already envious of you...no need to rub it in bro :D.

Boo

I am that person who stated it,I came from where they are going to get a sizable amount and you do have a choice.Move if you don't like it.Get a new job,see the family on holidays if you wish. We did exactly that.Quit or jobs,sold our house,and left all family 1100 miles away and established a new life in the warm southern climate from where we know/knew no one. As a skier, I would also like to see a major dumping.I am going to Tahoe in a few days and I hope thay get another 10ft of snow.:)

Steve <-------------------shot a 94:o

After reading your post, I have to wonder what kind of a relationship you have with your family, given your insensitivity and selfish attitude. Some of us don't have choices...we take our responsibility to our family more seriously. I have a father with Alzheimer's and wouldn't think of leaving my mother and just taking off leaving her with no emotional support. Also, my husband has a job and can't just leave it...in case you haven't heard, the economy is in the dumper and I'm grateful DH has a job. He can't just walk away from it as cavalierly as you suggest.

I'm glad you were able to walk away without regrets...good for you. BTW, despite your ill wishes on our locale, I don't wish any hurricanes on you.

Enjoy your life.

Jo-Ann

We live about 20 miles south of D.C. and are expected to get about 24" inches by Saturday night. My two adult children and their families are with me for the weekend. We are scheduled to leave out of Balimore on Sunday on the Carnival Pride. Wish us luck!

After reading your post, I have to wonder what kind of a relationship you have with your family, given your insensitivity and selfish attitude. Some of us don't have choices...we take our responsibility to our family more seriously. I have a father with Alzheimer's and wouldn't think of leaving my mother and just taking off leaving her with no emotional support. Also, my husband has a job and can't just leave it...in case you haven't heard, the economy is in the dumper and I'm grateful DH has a job. He can't just walk away from it as cavalierly as you suggest.

I'm glad you were able to walk away without regrets...good for you. BTW, despite your ill wishes on our locale, I don't wish any hurricanes on you.

Enjoy your life.

Jo-Ann

Thanks Jo-Ann, I have been here since 1982........have weathered many tropical storms and evacuated from Hurricanes. We had tremendous damage from the horrible h'cane season of 2004. Graduated from THE Ohio State University and wouldn't wish your snowfall on anyone. Was there for the blizzard of '74!!!!!

Peace, Lynda

I don't know about Columbus but I did hear on D.C.news4

that they were cancelling flights for tomorrow. I really

hope all of you are able to get to your cruise ships

safely.

Me too......

Safe, happy travels to those who are flying/driving. Peace and karma to those who won't make it...........

Lynda

Enjoy your life.

Jo-Ann

Hi Jo-Ann,

Your loyalty to your family is admirable,but you must have been lucky to grow up in an environment that instilled the responsibility to family.My wife and I could have only wished to have the great big happy family and all the trimmings that go with it for all our lives.

I wish I could reword my dumping comment:o so it does not appear to be ill wishes on your locale,but it is a little to late for that now.Then again it is not the first time I have said the wrong thing or have said it wrong......this week anyway.:D

Steve

We live about 20 miles south of D.C. and are expected to get about 24" inches by Saturday night. My two adult children and their families are with me for the weekend. We are scheduled to leave out of Balimore on Sunday on the Carnival Pride. Wish us luck!

I wish you luck better yet I'll pray that you & your family get to the ship safely. I live right outside of D.C. and it is really coming down now.

I live in Silver Spring, MD and we have more than 20 inches and it is still snowing. I heard on the news this morning that Baltimore has 20 inches.

My dh had a hard time opening the door because it is drifting. I remember the winter of '78 & '79 in Wisconsin when my husband had to take the window out of the screen door to get out. Limited travel out of the airports, Amtrax, and Metro.

I'm in Baltimore just a few miles away from the port. I dug my way out to the sidewalk to take a measurement. It is 18 inches right now, though our total amount is probably more due to drifting. I had to shovel off my front porch!! They are calling for this to continue through to the afternoon.

WOW, that is one nasty storm! Catching blurbs on the news this AM. Our internet terminal gets its signal from the NE somewhere, and its affecting our net here in the south. We lost signal completly for about an hour, and the signal is still only half the normal rate.

I live in Central Jersey and woke up to 5" of snow and it is coming down at 2" per hour right now. Our prediction was 6-12" and I think we will get the foot mark if not more. I am just north of the band though that is 18" and the blizzard warning.

Good Luck. They should have alot cleared by then. We are from Ma and are leaving on the Pride on Feb 28th. Heading down to Baltimore on Sat night just to be on the safe side. Think the snow will be gone be then...Happy Cruising.........

Archived