Metro in Barcelona

tetaf

Does anyone know if you purchase a 10-ride ticket, if that is only for one day. . and is the Metro safe for evening to late hour use. I would do it in Toronto, but not New York.

not sure but New York subway is safe even late a night.

The 10 ride ticket can also be shared by more than 1 user by passing it back to your companion after you have cleared the turnstile. We didn't ever feel unsafe on the metro, but were pickpocketed at a restaurant near the Parallel metro stop, so watch out. It was a classic approach -- someone dumps muddy liquid on your coat, and a "helpful" person on the street cleans out your pockets while helping you clean up the mess.

Does anyone know if you purchase a 10-ride ticket, if that is only for one day. . and is the Metro safe for evening to late hour use. I would do it in Toronto, but not New York.

10 ride tickets do not expire (same as Toronto tokens). I doubt that you'll ever find true crime statistics; municipal authorities are touchy about them; it scares potential tourists. Recently Barcelona was crowned a pickpocket capital of Europe. That triggered a bunch of forum postings. I've taken Barcelona metro at night and didn't see anything unusual and never been pick pocketed. However I take Toronto metro daily and once in a while some stations are bypassed due to "Security incidents".

Thanks for the replies. Been doing alot of reading and, unfortunately, it repeated states that if you see a child cuddled on the sidewalk in pain, to bypass because it's a set up. Look ahead and keep your maps to yourselves. Wasn't raised to do that, but I guess you do what you gotta do!

We shared our 10 ride tickets as they were cheaper than buying individual tickets and saves time. Just remember where you put the ticket after you put it through the turnstile/machine since you will need it when you exit. The ten ride tickets we purchased in 2007 expired after 12 months. We have also taken the trams and buses in BCN.

We're accustomed to taking the Metro wherever it is available and enjoy comparing other cities' mass transit systems to New York City's. But do be aware of pickpockets since tourists tend to stand out either by the way we dress, speak or act - looking at a map is a dead giveaway :-) . We keep our cameras hidden and our bags and pocketbooks close and within sight. Just use common sense and stay in well lit areas that are not isolated. Some of the stations require very long walks through corridors/tunnels or over flights of steps steps before reaching the turnstiles. My friend spent 5 days in BCN and was very careful. On the last day of his vacation, hours before going to the airport, he let his guard up and was pickpocketed.

We shared our 10 ride tickets as they were cheaper than buying individual tickets and saves time. Just remember where you put the ticket after you put it through the turnstile/machine since you will need it when you exit. The ten ride tickets we purchased in 2007 expired after 12 months. We have also taken the trams and buses in BCN.

We're accustomed to taking the Metro wherever it is available and enjoy comparing other cities' mass transit systems to New York City's. But do be aware of pickpockets since tourists tend to stand out either by the way we dress, speak or act - looking at a map is a dead giveaway :-) . We keep our cameras hidden and our bags and pocketbooks close and within sight. Just use common sense and stay in well lit areas that are not isolated. Some of the stations require very long walks through corridors/tunnels or over flights of steps steps before reaching the turnstiles. My friend spent 5 days in BCN and was very careful. On the last day of his vacation, hours before going to the airport, he let his guard up and was pickpocketed.

I wonder why the city wouldn't focus on correcting the bad publicity the problem has created. I hate the fact people feel free to violate you in such a way. But what is - is and best to just deal with it.

Archived