Why stop in Bonaire

solehigh

I also wanted to ask you about the neoprene protective case for the D10.

Thanks for all the info on Bonaire. ;)

the neoprene case can be used in the water, I found it best for river tubing and rain forest days. But snorkeling was best with the neck strap so your hands are free for swimming. With one arm through the neck strap during swimming, the camera stays against your stomach until you need it, so no case is needed underwater. They all come in an accessory pack that Canon sells. Too bad you can't buy separate, I'd buy just the case and neck strap. (when taking photos the strap stays just around your neck but the camera could float off, so every time I swam any distance, I put my arm through the neck strap also for safety)

Here's my entire trip report in photos... 20 pages of Bonaire starts on page 86 http://www.panraven.com/visitor/VisitorViewStory.epage?sp=Sview&sp=154975 ONE TIP- if you click on the arrows below the photos, you can see 2 pages at a time, which give a better panoramic view. If you click directly on the photo instead of using the arrows...you can only see one BIG page at a time (click again to go back to two page view)

• 5 weeks later...

I've only been to Bonaire (my mum lives there) but everyone I've met who has been to both says it is far more beautiful (on land and underwater)! And its more relaxed - only 14,000 people +- in comparison to over 100,000.

• 3 weeks later...
This looks fun! What and where is this??

Thanks!

Its land sailing on Bonaire. I didn't do it myself... but I'm sure you could try a google search and find the name of the people who offer this excursion.

Good Luck :D

Hey Markstudy,

Awesome pictures; we purchased an underwater Olympus for our trip and hope the pictures turn out 1/2 as good. Is there any place within walking distance from the port? We have a little one and do not want to commit to a 4-5 hour block of time "Just in case" :):)

Good luck with your Olympus. I bought an Olympus Stylus 850 SW for this cruise and it died after 5 minutes in Aruba. I missed Bonaire completely.:mad:

It never went below 3ft since I was just casually snorkeling around Baby Beach. It was probably one of the seals. I opened all of the hatches up and put the hair dryer to it. It still didn't come back to life, but after 2 days it started working - in time for Grand Turk.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonaire has become my most favorite island. Stopped there on the Ruby Princess last October and wanted to stay forever. It's NOT Aruba, THANK GOD!!!!! It's pristine still. I hope the cruise lines don't bastardize it like they have many other islands!

Have really enjoyed this thread and the photos! Will do Southern Carib for the first time in March with a stop in Bonaire. Great to learn what I can in advance. It sounds like a wonderful place!

As a comparison, I loved Cozumel 30 years ago. Even 18yrs ago on a dive trip it was still a great place. Then went back on a cruise in 2008. Hated it! Was really sad at how it had changed. I'm excited to get to some less commercialized places like Bonaire on my next cruise.

Thanks all!

• 3 weeks later...

Is there anything non water related to do in Bonaire? I dont do the sun or water. I do like to take pictures......how is the weather in September? I hope not too hot. We will be in Bonaire on my birthday and hope we can find a place for a cocktail. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
Is there anything non water related to do in Bonaire? I dont do the sun or water. I do like to take pictures......how is the weather in September? I hope not too hot. We will be in Bonaire on my birthday and hope we can find a place for a cocktail. Thanks.

I wish I got the email of the couple I shared a ride to the rental agency last April. They were avid photographers and were going to drive the Northern end of the island. I went south - which is much more flat and arid. Perhaps someone can chime in with destinations for the Northern half.

I wish I got the email of the couple I shared a ride to the rental agency last April. They were avid photographers and were going to drive the Northern end of the island. I went south - which is much more flat and arid. Perhaps someone can chime in with destinations for the Northern half.

Thanks anyways. These Caribbean forums dont seem too busy. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Bonaire is actually the second stop on our cruise. My wife isn't much of a water person so I'm wondering what types of activities we could find to do on the island. I see there is a lot of reef activity on the island, are there any beaches that are sandy sans the reef or is that the norm? I think I hit the jackpot with this cruise because I get three really unknown and off the beaten path islands including Grenada and Dominica. Even if we don't find a lot to do just being able to say we've been to Bonaire is pretty awesome.

BTW looks like a lot of desert, reminds me of home except with incredible water.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived