Royal Princess in wheelchair

tcworld

We are taking the Royal Princess in April for a Calypso cruise. We have never cruised a small ship before so can anyone give me any tips about getting around in a wheelchair? Are the thresholds hard to roll over going to the outside decks? Can a wheelchair get to the jogging track? Has anyone had any trouble getting off the ship in a wheelchair for the tenders?

Hope you will get some replies! We are on the Royal in August. Would love to hear your impressions when you return from your cruise, especially regarding tendering and other wheelchair accessibility issues. We won't be changing our minds on this cruise (14-day Alaska), but at least will be more prepared.

Hope you will get some replies! We are on the Royal in August. Would love to hear your impressions when you return from your cruise, especially regarding tendering and other wheelchair accessibility issues. We won't be changing our minds on this cruise (14-day Alaska), but at least will be more prepared.

We have made our final payment so we are going. I just wanted to be prepared for any obstacles that I will encounter on this ship. I know it has been redone but there is just so much you can do for access. We will have a good time regardless. I just thought that if anyone has been on the Royal it would be nice to here about it. I definitely will post some information when we get back.

Calling anyone that has been on the Royal please reply.

• 8 months later...

Royal is fairly decent for a small ship but has very few wheelchair staterooms (per original design and can't be changed). You can access the jogging track in a wheelchair but it's quite small and narrow. One good thing is most stateroom doors are wider than the norm on other ship designs. Other than that the usual stuff applies- doors are all heavy as they have to be sea and fire doors, and not all access is ramped due to the need for thresholds. This is all driven by safety.

I have been on the Royal and was using a rollator then but have since "graduated" to a scooter. We had a standard cabin not an accessible one. The step up into the bathroom was about 6 inches and very difficult for me. I did get a shower chair but had barely enough room for it and me in the shower. As far as tenders go, on Princess you have to get off of the scooter/wheelchair and walk onto the tender. They will not transfer a large scooter/wheelchair to the tender although they will lift my 35 lb travelscoot. If you can manage the transfer to the tender I would suggest a collapsible manual chair which they will transfer to the tender. Having said all of that the Royal is one of my favorite ships. It was so easy to get from one area to another and being smaller I got to know lots of other cruisers and crew. We went on the Holyland cruise on this ship and greatly enjoyed it.

tcworld,

We have done four weeks on the Royal to the Amazon and back from Ft. Laud with wife using scooter and staying in 7082. If you are in this one or its mate next door 7086 (mirror image) I have an extensive picture set of the cabin. Don't know if the inside one down on Plaza deck would be the same or not, but probably not. No problem getting around any of the ship in the scooter. She could also get out on the balcony, which is narrow, but with a bit of care was manageble. Easier in a manual wheelchair.

Email me at kenmarvv@rogers.com and I can send you pics online or can print the two pages of pictures from my ship log and snail mail them to you.

Talk to you later.

Ken.

tcworld' date='

We have done four weeks on the Royal to the Amazon and back from Ft. Laud with wife using scooter and staying in 7082. If you are in this one or its mate next door 7086 (mirror image) I have an extensive picture set of the cabin. Don't know if the inside one down on Plaza deck would be the same or not, but probably not. No problem getting around any of the ship in the scooter. She could also get out on the balcony, which is narrow, but with a bit of care was manageble. Easier in a manual wheelchair.

Email me at [email']kenmarvv@rogers.com[/email] and I can send you pics online or can print the two pages of pictures from my ship log and snail mail them to you.

Talk to you later.

Ken.

The OP posted in Feb. that she was sailing in April...Too bad they didn't come back to report on their trip. EM

tcworld' date='

Email me at kenmarvv@rogers.com and I can send you pics online or can print the two pages of pictures from my ship log and snail mail them to you.

Talk to you later.

Ken.

Wondered if you could upload your photos here for all to view? Attach using the 'manage attachments' below the posting box.

Cabin photos are always appreciated.

Archived