Ouch Price Climbing

Newdoc2002

My wife and I were planning the Rome/Rome 7 night on Sea Dream II near the end of May/Beg of June as a great way to see Italy and celebrate a new job.

While waiting on the final job contract negotiations, I've watched the price jump nearly $800 :mad: in about three months to 4599. My question is at this price point should I start looking at other cruise lines offering a luxury cruise or is this still a good value?

I'm even thinking that I could make a heck of an onland vacation for the price. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Newdoc2002,

You may want to take a look at Seabourn they have some decent pricing for that time frame. It is not casual like Sea Dream but if thats not an issue you may want to give it a try.

Hope this helps.

mcboo:)

I had the same experience. While I was looking at a 1/1/06 Caribbean cruise, and thinking about it, the price jumped $200 per person. At that point we booked to protect ourselves if the price went even higher. Worth it? I don't know, but we just got off a Silverseas cruise last week, and people on our cruise who had travelled both lines told us that the service on SeaDream was even better than Silversea, which was fabulous.

What we have here is supply & demand in action. There is obviously a great need for a quality product like Sea Dream which the mass lines do not provide. Unfortunately, Sea Dream has only about 100 spots per ship per week. This is tiny compared to the big box ships. We love it and are newbies to Sea Dream but are booking our third trip. Hope we can afford it in the future but expect prices to continue upward until they come up with more capacity. This is truly the best of many ship voyages. I have not sailed Seabourn but probably wont due to bad experiences with Cunardival. Dont trust Carnival Corp to do the right thing with any "brand". For my money, the Med on Sea Dream sounds perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

You have no need to fear Seabourn--it has been totally deCarnivalized--the food and service are super--we are former Sea Goddess passengers(15 cruises)-- and we loved everything about it. We switched to Seabourn when Seabourn bought Sea Goddess--several years ago. We have stayed with Seabourn because of the formal evenings, and slightly more formal atmosphere overall. It's like the old Sea Goddess-- both with outstanding staffs. We live in a very informal town, and look forward to the more formal change. We still miss the great times we had on the "old" Sea Goddess! :)

My wife and I were planning the Rome/Rome 7 night on Sea Dream II near the end of May/Beg of June as a great way to see Italy and celebrate a new job.

While waiting on the final job contract negotiations, I've watched the price jump nearly $800 :mad: in about three months to 4599. My question is at this price point should I start looking at other cruise lines offering a luxury cruise or is this still a good value?

I'm even thinking that I could make a heck of an onland vacation for the price. Just looking for opinions. Thanks.

Why not join us on our Silver Whisper cruise on May 12th. Rome to Villefranche. It is a Silver Sailing at 50% off and prices start at $2449. This is not a paid commercial announcement, just a friendly invite. :D

Archived