Anyone else get frustrated with all the complaints about kids?

loan_girl

. . . My kids are well behaved, they are very shy & quiet and have good manners, mostly in part because they know the worse thing they can do is embarrass us in public. They have been taught since they were toddlers to act appropriately in public, Im not saying they are perfect angels, but it is very rare for them to act up when we are out.

My DD is out-going enough, but really hates to draw attention to herself -- so the biggest problem in MY family is she and DH are afraid that I am going to do something to embarrass them! :D

. We havent really had many issues on the cruises, although I had one lady feel the need to tell me "she was a teacher and kids should be in school" while we were in the check in line. I couldnt help myself and asked "why she wasnt at school teaching"? Never heard another word from her...

That was a good comeback as well!

. . . . Also, you'll find that most of the people who notice poorly behaved children onboard are also parents and sometimes grandparents. It's not as if we don't know what it's like to have kids or that we haven't been around them or that we're intolerant. It's that extremely bad behavior is something that bothers most people. But you're right that it's the parents I usually want to strangle (figuratively speaking), rather than the children. Parenting is one of the hardest jobs in the world (I know); it is also one of the most rewarding. . . . What some people seem to ignore or forget is that parenting is a responsibility that requires hard work, consistency, and the willingness to be "the bad guy" (and not a child's "best friend"). Good parents generally have loving, happy, and friendly relationships with their children, but the children also know who is in charge and they know that there are consequences for misbehavior.

There is a thread on our local newspaper's site about a blurb from the police blotter. It seems that a 48YO male was charged with assault of a child. The report is that the 48YO was at a middle school basketball game. There were several 7th grade boys sitting near him - he indicated that they were making rude comments about some of the players. He supposively asked them to shut up, and when one 12YO answered back rudely, he slapped the boy.

Now to me this is an open-and-shut case. An adult, striking a child is assault. Personally, a human intentionally striking another human is really never warrented (the 48YO was not in any physical danger). However -- it appears that it is also and open-and-shut case to the folks posting to the paper's thread. They seem to think that the kid "had it coming to him" and that the adult should be rewarded (I'm not making this up, there are over 100 responses and a full 80% of them are from people seeming to think that it was OK for the adult to strike the child).

I think if ALL adults treated each other and kids with respect, perhaps kids would learn a valuable lesson -- they would learn that you need to treat other people with respect. But as long as adults are ok with treating kids as someone/something less valueable as themselves. As long as kids learn by example that this world is ruled by a tennent of "every man for himself" -- they won't consider the consequences of their actions.

We have all "lost it" a few times in our lives, but when I see a woman screaming at her 2YO in the middle of the grocery store -- I'm thinking watching mommy turn five shades of purple and listening to her rant in public is not a life lesson that that 2YO needs.

Well, this "old biddy" has never confronted ill-behaved kids - or adults- directly. I think it's really demeaning to make nasty comments to any passenger on either side. I've asked ship's security to deal with a problem, rather than make myself look foolish by engaging in nasty comments - either by starting them or replying to them. If a behavior problem (kid or adult) affects me directly, I ask the security staff to intervene. NCL and Pincess, IMO, have always done a great job! HAL intervened appropriately during one situation where a Dad had his 6 mo. old son in the adult pool and refused to remove him until security told him to. RCI - never saw any security dealing with ill-behaving kids (and there were more than a few), but they did with adults. I've commented to parents about how cute their kids are, hope they're having fun, etc. I've made friends with adults, as well. When I cruise solo, I prefer HAL. When cruising with my five adult kids, they prefer RCI. (Actually, they prefer all-inclusives). I'm really offended by the term "old bitty/biddy", BTW! It's an offensive term that really does not accurately reflect upon many of us who are older cruisers (with a lot of cruising experience) who have kids (and know what it's like), and who have been around long enough to have learned how to refrain from making nasty comments to anyone - not just while cruising, but in everyday life....whether starting or replying. I've never referred to a family with kids as "Folks with brats". I'm retired, but volunteer several days each week at a local assisted living facility(running errands, taking them to the Dr., just visiting. Many of them do not have local family). I once took a 93-year old to the Dollar Store (she uses a walker) to get some things for herself, and a young mother with two kids in tow (about 6 and 8) nearly ran over us trying to get through the door. I heard the mother say, "Geez - why do they even let old people in here!". It was a very rude comment, but it would have done no good to say anything in reply, and it would have been equally rude if I had. For those of you who advocate being respectful, I support you! It really does work both ways. Thanks.

Well, this "old biddy" has never confronted ill-behaved kids - or adults- directly. I think it's really demeaning to make nasty comments to any passenger on either side. I've asked ship's security to deal with a problem, rather than make myself look foolish by engaging in nasty comments - either by starting them or replying to them. If a behavior problem (kid or adult) affects me directly, I ask the security staff to intervene. NCL and Pincess, IMO, have always done a great job! HAL intervened appropriately during one situation where a Dad had his 6 mo. old son in the adult pool and refused to remove him until security told him to. RCI - never saw any security dealing with ill-behaving kids (and there were more than a few), but they did with adults. I've commented to parents about how cute their kids are, hope they're having fun, etc. I've made friends with adults, as well. When I cruise solo, I prefer HAL. When cruising with my five adult kids, they prefer RCI. (Actually, they prefer all-inclusives). I'm really offended by the term "old bitty/biddy", BTW! It's an offensive term that really does not accurately reflect upon many of us who are older cruisers (with a lot of cruising experience) who have kids (and know what it's like), and who have been around long enough to have learned how to refrain from making nasty comments to anyone - not just while cruising, but in everyday life....whether starting or replying. I've never referred to a family with kids as "Folks with brats". I'm retired, but volunteer several days each week at a local assisted living facility(running errands, taking them to the Dr., just visiting. Many of them do not have local family). I once took a 93-year old to the Dollar Store (she uses a walker) to get some things for herself, and a young mother with two kids in tow (about 6 and 8) nearly ran over us trying to get through the door. I heard the mother say, "Geez - why do they even let old people in here!". It was a very rude comment, but it would have done no good to say anything in reply, and it would have been equally rude if I had. For those of you who advocate being respectful, I support you! It really does work both ways. Thanks.

This is an excellent point. I live in Phoenix near a giant retirement community, so at certain times of the year our local shopping areas and roads are full of older drivers. I'm a mom in my 30's and I can't tell you how often I hear my friends complain about the "old geezers" the slow us all down and what a nuisance they are. I've always found this offensive. They've never bothered me. Actually, I find the majority of them quite pleasant. Most of them are very tolerant of me shopping alongside of them with my often times, less than obedient, 2 year old. They smile at her, talk to her, etc. We are the ones that sometimes slow them down when my dd decides to have a meltdown in the doorway on the way out of the store. It's nice to get a reassuring look from someone that tells you "I've been there and this will pass". I agree that you need to give respect to get it.

Ok here is my take on this. Well behaved kids are great. But not all kids are well behaved. Screaming kids make me crazy..Parents that who just just let it go on are just rude people. Parents who bring there kids to a adult venue and then let them act up are rude. If you are a adult at a kid place and complain about the kids then your the rude one.

I was really lucky my DD was a joy to take places. Until she turned 6 and then we had 2 years where she was just a brat. So for 2 years we just didn't go anywhere. Took 2 years for her to catch on that if your not good you can't go..

We had a couple in where I work this weekend. There had about a 2 2 1/2 year old with them and it was late about 9:30. Baby was fussy when they got there. So they order and are just sitting there talking to one other.

Not paying any atention to the baby who is at this point crying and getting louder and louder. And they are just chatting away.

The other diners are looking at them. Some are complaining

So I go over and say very nicely I'm sorry but I need you to calm the baby down. Maybe take her outside till she stops crying.

The mother looks up and says oh please shes not being that loud

and if the other people don't like it they can leave.:eek: So I say no they can't but you can. Now. So I think thats why so many people have a problem with kids..sad not the kids its the parents.. Oh and I am going to be a grandmom soon and we are so hoping that the baby will be like our DD and love going places. :) and is good.

This is an excellent point. I live in Phoenix near a giant retirement community, so at certain times of the year our local shopping areas and roads are full of older drivers. I'm a mom in my 30's and I can't tell you how often I hear my friends complain about the "old geezers" the slow us all down and what a nuisance they are. I've always found this offensive. They've never bothered me. Actually, I find the majority of them quite pleasant. Most of them are very tolerant of me shopping alongside of them with my often times, less than obedient, 2 year old. They smile at her, talk to her, etc. We are the ones that sometimes slow them down when my dd decides to have a meltdown in the doorway on the way out of the store. It's nice to get a reassuring look from someone that tells you "I've been there and this will pass". I agree that you need to give respect to get it.

MyMoses, thanks so much for your very nice reply! Rudeness has no age limits. Neither does respect. My five are grown, but I would also give you that reassuring look! I do this with my DD, mother of 3 and 1 year olds. She was the middle of five, and remembers what it was like. We just grin at each other during meltdowns, as well as peaceful bedtimes. Hope you have many wonderful and enjoyable cruises!

I've never used the term "old biddy", but I am rather fond of the acronym GOF (grumpy old fart) -- but generally only use it with the caveat that the "old" part has nothing to do with chronological age.

I personally don't care how old the person is who is disturbing me is -- I'm not thrilled with loud or rude or out-of-control people. It could be a parent of the screaming child who ignores the behavior, it could be the three teen boys shuffling along in front of me at a very crowded mall*, it could be the boor who tries to cut in line, or the group of eight Korean-war vets who were loud and drunk and very crude to their waitress.

But again, one either removes themselves from the situation or relies upon the local "authorities" (security, staff, whomever) take care of it.

*(the boys were walking VERY slowly because of their hanging down to mid-bun pants -- I thought that fad was over years ago! Please tell me it hasn't come back!? :eek:)

Yes, I am a little tired of hearing about the ill behaved kids. Actually, I have seen far more bad behavior from adults--there is just no excuse for that. I would provide more details but I don't want to stir it up. I especially noticed it on the last cruise we went on.

Actually.... our last cruise, aboard the Carnival Legend, we were across from a table full or horrible kids in the MDR.

They were bad.

The decibel level in the MDR near us was deafening with the kids' yelling. They were constantly running around, they were giving their waiters a hard time 'I didn't want THAT, I wanted THIS!' (when they had clearly ordered that), a few times, some of the younger ones came to our table to see what my kids were doing, or wave at us.

The adults in the group sat at an entirely different table. It was 3 families; the adults on a table of six, and the kids on a larger table of 12.

The third night, the maitre'd and the head waiter apologized to everyone else around them in the MDR.

I didn't fault the kids. It was the adults.

Even MY kids were annoyed... which I thought was funny. My daughter, who was 5, said something like 'Those kids shouldn't be doing that... why are they like that?'

"Sometimes parents don't teach kids how to behave nicely, honey"

We have cruised on Carnival probably about 7 times over the years. My kids have cruised several times each. I know they aren't perfect but overall they're well-behaved kids. I just get tired of reading all the complaints about kids being on the boats. I mean really why are the complainers on Carnival if mass crowds of people bother them or they don't like families. Head over to another line... Or maybe I should just lock my kids up until they are 18 then let them out and see how they behave. Am I by myself here? Just frustrated...

I agree with you. Not only that, but when I suggest that someone who clearly doesn't like kids try a less kid friendly line I get blasted.

Totally understand where you are coming from. Unfortunately it seems rampant on all the message boards. I am sure that there are definite incidents that spark a percentage of the gripes, but I am so tired of the implication of many of the posts that ALL children are incredibly nasty filthy beasts that delight in fouling up the vacation. Luckily, not as many people were negative once we actually onboard and we received multiple compliments on my daughter's behavior. At the same time I nearly lost it when another cruiser kept loudly saying that she went on the cruise to escape her kids... kind of ironic as she was more annoying than my 2yo! The 2 yo was happily playing with Elmo and Abby- quietly.

I do find it frustrating though when topics get pulled if you defend children and it gets heated, but yet in other cases posters can call children somewhat deragatory terms and be allowed to remain. Would it ever be tolerated if the more mature bunch were called geezers? I think it's pretty immature considering that we were all children once and will all be seniors, God willing, so why age bash?

And yes every child will make an occasional social blunder (crying at the table, spilling a drink), at which point Mom or Dad needs to step in and do what the situation calls for. But a lot of adults do too- just check out all the chair hogs on sea day. At least the children are learning where the adults simply don't care.

I've never used the term "old biddy", but I am rather fond of the acronym GOF (grumpy old fart) -- but generally only use it with the caveat that the "old" part has nothing to do with chronological age.

I personally don't care how old the person is who is disturbing me is -- I'm not thrilled with loud or rude or out-of-control people. It could be a parent of the screaming child who ignores the behavior, it could be the three teen boys shuffling along in front of me at a very crowded mall*, it could be the boor who tries to cut in line, or the group of eight Korean-war vets who were loud and drunk and very crude to their waitress.

But again, one either removes themselves from the situation or relies upon the local "authorities" (security, staff, whomever) take care of it.

*(the boys were walking VERY slowly because of their hanging down to mid-bun pants -- I thought that fad was over years ago! Please tell me it hasn't come back!? :eek:)

Onessa, the "fad" of the big pants has not gone away, sadly. My friend's daughter said to me "those boys who dress like bums expect us to swoon over them, when they look like they need a good flea dip---NOT".

I was just thinking that I don't understand the argument of "I went on a cruise to get away from my kids, so I don't want to see kids on a cruise". Well, congratulations, you did just that when you left them at home! I'm not asking you to take care of my kids (or really do anything other than give them the most basic level of respect), so how is it at all related? Unless you book a specific adults-only vacation, you can't control the demographics of those around you on ANY vacation. And if you're that worked up about it, maybe you SHOULD book an adults-only vacation!

I have a son, a 16 month old, and we will be taking him on his first cruise this month. I am packing like a madwoman making sure we have everything we could ever need so he isn't disruptive to anyone.

I don't want there to be a scene, I don't want there to be a tantrum.

But, he's a kid, and, frankly, my money spends as good as the next guy's and I'm paying $1,700, for my son to join us.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO...if he chats a little but, runs on deck a bit, is in a show, or in the dining room (doing what kids do-not being out of hand) and someone doesn't like it, they are more than welcome to look the other way.

I'm busting my tail to make sure we don't disturb anyone. But you know...it happens sometimes, just like the time the 45 year old woman got so drunk she pounded on my cabin door at 4am. It happens...get over it and move on.

Just my .02.

I was just thinking that I don't understand the argument of "I went on a cruise to get away from my kids, so I don't want to see kids on a cruise".

I don't understand this either. I usually cruise without my kids. Yes, it's often my only break from them in a 1 or 2 year period. But I have no problem seeing, hearing, even interacting with other people's kids, as long as they're parenting them. It's still a relaxing vacation for me because I'm not the one parenting. I've had some interesting conversations with kids the same ages as my own at meals and on excursions, etc.

I just have a few things to say....

1st off kids will be kids, its up to parents on what kind of kids they are.

We have 3 children, ages 2 8 and 9. We are on an airplain at the least 1 time a year.

when my oldest was 3 years old we went on trip and I had to pay full airfare for him.. airlines refused to give him a meal because he was a child. and they told me that meals are for the older passangers. Needless to say he got his meal.

When my youngest was 5 months old we went to Mexico to visit my inlaws. On our flight there we were allowed to bring ds bottled water to make his baby formula. He was a gem the wole time on the flight. On our way back home was a different story. When we were going through airport security to get on plane to come home, luck would have it right before he needed to be fed, security dumped the water in the bottle and took every extra unopened bottled water we had. they told us we had to get water from stewardess on the plane. So of course son is crying his little heart out hungry. We are on the plane and asked for water imediately. They told us we couldn't have any till we took off. so our ds cried. 15 minutes later and still on the ground, the stewardess asked me to calm my baby or we would have to exit the plane (really tearing out the screams now) and being that therer were 5 of us plus my dad, i was shocked and my father was p****d off now. He stood up to say something to her but before he could another passanger yelled at the lady to give my ds some water. She told the man they couldn't do it till we took off like she told me. He then told her that she was going to get him water now because me and the baby were not getting off this plane. She grabbed the bottle from me and put water in it and glared at me the rest of our flight. But my dear son on the other hand was good as gold the rest of the flight. The man asked why it was so hard to do in the first place and she just walked away.

it just goes to show that not all persons are anti kids and i take comfort in knowing that there are people who can relate or show care when its needed.

Last but not least...any adult needs to realize that children are going to be excited when experiancing new things or even done it before, doing it again kind of things, I do not feel my children have to reserve thier excitement just because one sour puss doesn't want to hear them. The saying "kids should be seen not heard" is a thing of the past, welcome to the 21st century.

In all honesty I've rarely had a problem with any one elses kids on cruises. It's the parents/adults. Why would you allow your Toddler to scream through dinner every night on an 11 day cruise? Wouldn't you care enough to realize that it's too late for your kid and they are exhausted? Get your food to go and take turns w/ the spouse eating dinner. (Dinner started at 6:30p and took 2 hrs) What about the lady who decided to grab my towel on Spring Break last year to use it to wipe her sunglasses. GROSS! Don't touch my stuff. I told her exactly what I thought and she yelled at me! She swiped MY towel. People talking outside of my cabin at 1am while I'm praying they don't wake my child. My child KNOWs that if it is after 9p or before 10a you tip toe down that hall and do not wake another person! Spouses fighting in the hall. Adults cutting in front of my child in a buffet line w/o saying excuse me. I could go on and on. A child is a child. They are not perfect and for the most part they tend to be better behaved than the adults on the ship!

Love that comeback cruisinmama06. Going on Princess for our first time with our 2 kids. My dh and I have been on Princess w/o the kids 3 times. Saw a post regarding our cruise asking if many kids would be on board and commented on it. Found out the the lady who started the post loved kids but some of the people who responded to her post enjoyed traveling w/o children and were quite negative. It all seems to stem from a negative experience that they had. I hear stories of patrents allowing their children to run wild on the ship and not even check on them. What kind of parents do this? This was only a 7 yr old. Could not believe it. Cruises are not a babysitting service. It seems like some people use the kids club in that manner. I want to be with my kids on the cruise. God knows a time will come soon when they don't want to spend time with me.

For many kids, the children's activities keep them wonderfully occupied so that they are not bored. We don't get offended when my daughter asks if the kids' area is open yet (when she was really young, she called it "ship school") as we know that she will have fun, we hope. She'll even want to eat in the buffet or the pizzeria so that she could join in the evening activities while we go to our late dinner seating. That's fine as she's not a big eater.

Even before I gave birth, and wasn't into "kids," I didn't grimace when seeing kids on a cruise. In fact, we thought it was cute when some kids came up to us while playing "passenger scavenger hunt" and we didn't mind helping them. Every time we ran into kids taking part in a group activity (like seeing them together having a meal), we thought it was nice they could have a vacation too.

Have only been on one cruise with misbehaving kids and they were all from the same extended family. The parents just let them run around while they hanged at the casino or wherever. It could have been that they spoke another language that they didn't want to be in the Fun Zone (my daughter said they were never there), but they always seemed bored whenever we saw them, sitting on a stairwell or wherever. They also caused a lot of problems, running into passengers, throwing things overboard, etc. I think by the last night of this two week cruise, all passengers had heard about them.

When we were having our meet and greet, one of the youth security came by and we were talking. He said that he had approached one of the fathers and told him that his kids needed to be supervised, and this guy replied, "I'm on vacation." So that's the crux of the matter. Spoiled, bored brats (probably with tons of $), parents who couldn't be bothered with parenting, crew members too scared to do anything about it.

As the parent of a kid who will turn 7 in less than two weeks (on the Ides of March--3/15), I'm familiar with everything already mentioned: obnoxious kids, parents who don't care, older adults who are offended just by the mere presence of children in their general proximity.

I wish I had Michele's ability to come up with snappy comebacks on a consistent basis!

Like others here I always try to express my sympathy and offer assistance if possible to parents trying to juggle unhappy kids. DD is actually quite good with younger kids and distracting them--last week there were a pair of young sisters (2-ish and almost 4) at the eye doctor and the two year old kept wanting to grab everything. DD asked the parents if it was okay if she tried to help and offered the book she had been reading to the 2 year old so that both siblings would have books and it worked.:eek: She has a knack for it.

The funniest thing that gets me about an attitude on the boards toward kids? The people who don't think the kids paying full fare (albeit as 3rd or 4th pax) should get full credit for their cruise. So...what is the difference between my Mom getting credit as 3rd passenger and DD as 4th if they are paying the same fare???

The funniest thing that gets me about an attitude on the boards toward kids? The people who don't think the kids paying full fare (albeit as 3rd or 4th pax) should get full credit for their cruise. So...what is the difference between my Mom getting credit as 3rd passenger and DD as 4th if they are paying the same fare???

This one is starting to get to me too. I don't get it. I paid the same fare as an adult for the kids (and grandkids) and yet even though they've cruised more then some adults, they get nothing. They don't even get a colored card to recognize their status. Why can't a kid who's Elite have a black card, get priority tendering and the other benefits that an adult gets? I get the charging thing and the alcohol benefits, but why can't they use the internet? Seriously, card color people! They have to have Blue until they turn 18, like they are a first time cruiser. Surely, that can't have any legal implications to recognize the number of cruises they've taken or give them priority boarding for the tender. Kids need laundry done too.

. . . I nearly lost it when another cruiser kept loudly saying that she went on the cruise to escape her kids... kind of ironic as she was more annoying than my 2yo! . . .

It is sad that anyone feels it necessary to escape their kids!

Onessa, the "fad" of the big pants has not gone away, sadly. ".

Heavy sigh! Fortunately my DD's male friends dress pretty normally (if having pants that cover your private parts is what consistutes normal). I hit my teen years during the "preppy era" so I get nostolgic over shetland sweaters and chinos!

My friend's daughter said to me "those boys who dress like bums expect us to swoon over them, when they look like they need a good flea dip---NOT".

Good one!

. . . .another passanger yelled at the lady to give my ds some water. She told the man they couldn't do it till we took off like she told me. He then told her that she was going to get him water now because me and the baby were not getting off this plane. She grabbed the bottle from me and put water in it and glared at me the rest of our flight. But my dear son on the other hand was good as gold the rest of the flight. The man asked why it was so hard to do in the first place and she just walked away.

it just goes to show that not all persons are anti kids and i take comfort in knowing that there are people who can relate or show care when its needed. . . . .

It is guys like that that make me happy to be human.

We once had a businessman loudly (and rudely) demand to be reseated "in a non-baby section" when DD was 8MO and SOUND asleep (as she was for the entire flight). The guys boss overheard him, the boss stopped by while we were still in flight to apologize and made him apologize afterward in the terminal.

I always loved kids even before I became a mom. We only had one nightmare flight experience when the kids were little, and it was exacerbated by rude passengers and turbulence which kept the seatbelt sign on for almost the entire flight.

I still cringe when I remember how bad it was.

Originally I was seated with my 1 1/2 yo twins in a row and my husband was behind me aisle and middle with my oldest, who was 3 1/2. An extremely tall couple- she was at least 6'2" and he was 6'8" demanded they both needed aisle seats. After much shuffling around he ended up next to me and grumpy that there was a baby involved. My husband got the other twin who at that moment decided she wanted daddy anyway. We had a diaper blow out and weren't allowed to get up to change her, the daddy's girl twin vomited and then soaked through her clothes and I think I was crying more loudly than the kids. The oldest spilled her apple juice and it rollled back and got on someones underseat luggage.

It was 10 yrs ago and easily the worst flight home from vacation, but we learned a lot about timing and the tolerance of young kids already spent from a busy week. Of course some things you can't control like turbulence and flight delays, and passengers who generally don't like children. Luckily nothing like that ever happened again, and my kids are very good travellers and always do what they can to help families with small kids who may be struggling. My oldest has perfected the "silly face" routine that usually entertains babies. If nothing else I can offer a sympathetic smile.

If I wasn't "into kids", or wanted an quiet adult vacation, the LAST place I would go would be a cruise on one of the mainstream lines, or Disney World, for that matter. I think it's funny that people go on a Carnival, NCL or RCCL cruise, especially during a popular week, and then act all put out that there are kids onboard :rolleyes:

That said, there's a difference between kids being onboard and misbehaved kids (with ignorant parents) being onboard. No one wants their vacation negatively affected by packs of unruly kids - but there is always that chance on a cruise.

Traveling with my son is a nightmare. He doesn't sit still. Meal time forget it. I love carnival. Not the first night when there is no kids camp but after that he eats with them and stays there and I can eat. He spends a lot of time on the cruise with us and I've been quite surprised at the number of passengers he entertains. I wouldn't travel without him even if he does make it hard. Have to say all the kids around us have been fairly good. I spend dinner watching the kids playing video games or watching movies on their ps2 (or w/e it is) looking forward to the day my son can sit there with us. Sometimes in the pool it becomes a bit much but the pools are small. We do try and go in them during off peak times.

For those worried about late dinner with kids we did late dinner and there were a lot of kids. All really well behaved.

As for flying I have put off flying with him since he was 9 months old and a perfect angel. That will change at the end of May. Just hoping there are no travel alerts and I can have him playing with his leapsters and bugsby and eating some snacks to help keep him busy. Once I get through security (always stressful before becoming a mom) I just will deal with it. And I haven't flown since before the limit on liquids so I'm a bit nervous on dealing with prescription medications. I used to fly all the time and started to avoid it because of horror stories. And I was one of those people that would see a stressed out parent and give a smile and sometimes offer to help.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember reading quote a long time ago, from a Dad who was getting on the elevator with his "well behaved" daughter who was happy to be on the ship..... An older gent walks on the elevator and mutters, "I'm dissapointed with the amount of kids on this cruise...." where the father retorts...."...I'm dissapointed too, with the amount of rude people on this cruise...".

I've never felt anything but the positives being on a ship, because we're all there for the same reason..... to relax and enjoy family time, whether with kids or without. This will be my first cruise with our daughters, and I can't wait to share the wonders of the places we'll visit and the excitement they'll show experiencing the cruise. I'll be apologizing to nobody.

Archived