Questions about rate reduction

katboferguson

I am new to cruising and have a couple of questions about checking for price reductions.

How often do rates go down for the balc guarentee rate? Is it worth checking? Also if you book through an on-line agency do you look for rate reductions at their website or do you go directly to the cruise ship's website? It seems that the cruiseline's rates are much higher than the online agency rates anyway.

I am new to cruising and have a couple of questions about checking for price reductions.

How often do rates go down for the balc guarentee rate? Not by any set schedule, depends on how the cruise is selling. Many people check daily.

Is it worth checking? Yep

Also if you book through an on-line agency do you look for rate reductions at their website or do you go directly to the cruise ship's website? Use the cruiseline site as the benchmark. Check and note their rates when you book with a TA. If you see them go down, call your agency to see if they can also reduce your discounted rate.

It seems that the cruiseline's rates are much higher than the online agency rates anyway. Yes, Princess allows TA's to discount, so your rate from them will always be lower than the full price Princess rate.

Answers above...

"Yes, Princess allows TA's to discount, so your rate from them will always be lower than the full price Princess rate."

Not always true. I have booked a few times directly w/ Princess as it was the lowest price for a balcony guarantee I could find. I probably use TA (usually online TA) 3/4 of the time and directly through Princess the rest of the time. Currently booked through Princess and had looked everywhere for a better price. Couldn't find one. It pays to check all options.;)

"Yes, Princess allows TA's to discount, so your rate from them will always be lower than the full price Princess rate."

Not always true. I have booked a few times directly w/ Princess as it was the lowest price for a balcony guarantee I could find. I probably use TA (usually online TA) 3/4 of the time and directly through Princess the rest of the time. Currently booked through Princess and had looked everywhere for a better price. Couldn't find one. It pays to check all options.;)

Any price that Princess quotes you, a travel agent can quote the same price (and then discount if they want to).

What happens most of the time is that on-line agencies do not use your Captain Circle number when checking rates and if they don't do that, they can not give you an accurate rate.

My agent discounts any rate Princess gives me. So my rate is always cheaper than Princess.

It definitely pays to use a travel agent.

ounts any rate Princess gives me. So my rate is always cheaper than Princess.

It definitely pays to use a travel agent.

Not definitely at all. I used an online TA that went bankrupt last year and people lost their vacations and money. I don't care to use online TA's ever again but I would use a brick and morter agancy to transfer my booking to after I made my own reservation and got the cabin and price I wanted if they give me a OBC.

Not definitely at all. I used an online TA that went bankrupt last year and people lost their vacations and money. I don't care to use online TA's ever again but I would use a brick and morter agancy to transfer my booking to after I made my own reservation and got the cabin and price I wanted if they give me a OBC.

You need to know who you are using. Not all online TA's are created equal. And there is no guarantee a B & M agency will be in business one day after you book. Keep your res with Princess up until almost final payment and then transfer it. Getting price reduction is far better than OBC.

We have had brick and morter agencies go bankrupt in my city and people have lost their money also. Local agencies are not any safer compared to other type of agencies.

I use an agent that I speak to over the phone or through email (I do not book online - I book with a real person). She lives across the country. All of my deposits are made through credit card to the cruise line direct.

As long as Princess let's agents discount, I will continue to use them and get a much better price compared to what Princess quotes. Plus, my agent also has great customer service - so it is the best of both worlds IMO. I would use her even if she couldn't discount.

As I said earlier, she can always discount any price Princess quotes. People who say that Princess gives them the best price are not checking with the right agents.

Keep your res with Princess up until almost final payment and then transfer it. Getting price reduction is far better than OBC.

This isn't always the best advice. If an agent has group space with group amenities - sometimes that group space is a fixed amount. If you hold on to the booking too long, Princess may have called back all the group space or the group space is full and the group amenities (OBC, gifts, etc..) may no longer be available. If you transfer it sooner, you can get a reduced rate and OBC (if there is group amenities that includes OBC).

Also, agents may have higher cabins in their group space at the same price or lower compared to what Princess quotes at a higher rate.

This isn't always the best advice. If an agent has group space with group amenities - sometimes that group space is a fixed amount. If you hold on to the booking too long, Princess may have called back all the group space or the group space is full and the group amenities (OBC, gifts, etc..) may no longer be available. If you transfer it sooner, you can get a reduced rate and OBC (if there is group amenities that includes OBC).

Also, agents may have higher cabins in their group space at the same price or lower compared to what Princess quotes at a higher rate.

I know what you're saying Coral, but we are more interested in lower price than OBC and gifts. I usually triple and/or quadruple dip anyway with my CCL credit, FCC credit and Princess credit. I don't always hold; maybe 1/2 and 1/2.

I know what you're saying Coral, but we are more interested in lower price than OBC and gifts. I usually triple and/or quadruple dip anyway with my CCL credit, FCC credit and Princess credit. I don't always hold; maybe 1/2 and 1/2.

Though group rates can also be a cheaper rate for the cabin also. There are times when agents can get BAs for the same price as what BFs cost through Princess (and then can discount). Or the same cabin category is cheaper because of group rates and then can be discounted even further. Once the group space is gone........

Though group rates can also be a cheaper rate for the cabin also. There are times when agents can get BAs for the same price as what BFs cost through Princess (and then can discount). Or the same cabin category is cheaper because of group rates and then can be discounted even further. Once the group space is gone........

It's gone. :D

How often do rates go down for the balc guarentee rate? Is it worth checking? Also if you book through an on-line agency do you look for rate reductions at their website or do you go directly to the cruise ship's website? It seems that the cruiseline's rates are much higher than the online agency rates anyway.
You have been given good advice but keep in mind that most Princess cruises sell out early and as they sell out, pricing goes UP, not down. It's worth checking but don't expect or be disappointed if the rates don't go down.

This depends on the agent. With mine, the rate is ALWAYS lower than Princess. Like Coral, I get great pricing, great customer service, and onboard perks.

Always booked with the same B & M agency for years. We received the discount applicable to my status with Princess. Went on the Crown Princess and found out through 3 others who used different on-line cruise only agencies that we overpaid big time! We paid more for a Baja balcony cabin than those who had a mini suite! Also, cruise only agencies have group rate cabins at much lower prices that are NOT available from other B & M agencies or from Princess. These cabins will not show up on other sites.

So yes, it does pay to check several souces before making your reservation. Since then, we use an on-line agency that was recommended to us and is one that shows up in CC list of recommended agencies. This agency does not offer OBC but the lower cabin rate more than makes up for it!

Check around before you book.

MARAPRINCE

Thanks for the replies. I hate to say it but it still seems so confusing!! Do I understand it right?--Basically most of the time an online agency is going to have the best rate. That is because Princess has let them discount their rates or (lose part of their commission?). So say for example: I find Princess's rate for a balc. is $799 pp before tax.

I find a rate through an on-line for same balc. category for $626pp before tax.

I book with the on-line agency. (It's still several months away before final payment.) A couple of weeks later this same on-line agency now has an even lower rate ($606) while Princess' rate is still the same $799. Am I able to get the new lower online agency rate? Or is it only if Princess's rate has dropped below the original $626 that I paid to begin with to get a rate reduction?

Cruise lines pay a commission between 12 & 16% (some a little more or less) on the basic cruise fare. The cruise fare doesn't include port charges or taxes, but cruise fares and port charges are lumped together (published) seperately from taxes and vary according to ports visited. Some agencies will "rebate" or discount from half to two thirds of the commission they receive on the basic cruise fare. They also receive an additional bonus commission depending on their volume, but forget about that cause I only mention that cause besides discounting, they can make money on sheer volume. Here's an example:

Cruise line XYZ pays a 16% commission on cruise fare. The fare is $1200 which is basic cruise fare and port charges. The taxes and Govt. Fees $80. The actual crusie fare is (remember, this is hypothetical) $900 with $300 port chages along with the Govt. taxes and fees of $80 equals $1280. A discount agency might take the $900 (amount they are commissioned), and discount by using a % of commission. If that agency discounts about two thirds, they will take that $900 and multiply it by .89 or .9 giving the cruise fare a value of $801 or $810 respectively. Then the port charges are added back bringing the amount to $1101 or $1110. The taxes of $80 are added to bring the total to $1181 or $1190 respectively. In this case, the discount is about $100.

Some cruiselines do not allow discounting. Not going to mention which. That's the poop.

So how do you go about finding out? When I book, I typically have Ship, date, Category, and Cabin number all planned out. I think by doing this I am not getting the best bang for my buck. For example on my upcoming cruise I booked a Cat BD. So I had the potential of booking a BA for the same price??....HMMMMMMM Interesting. I guess I need to start asking more questions when I book in the future. By the way the TA did have group space.

I have been reading this thread about price decreases and using travel agents. Does anyone know what the "cruise vacation planner" on Princess site is? Is it a travel agent or Princess itself?

We haven't traveled on Princess before, just on RCCL twice and both times we just booked online without a TA or "cruise vacation planner". Just trying to figure out benefits of each.

Thanks,

Brenda

I have been reading this thread about price decreases and using travel agents. Does anyone know what the "cruise vacation planner" on Princess site is? Is it a travel agent or Princess itself?

We haven't traveled on Princess before, just on RCCL twice and both times we just booked online without a TA or "cruise vacation planner". Just trying to figure out benefits of each.

Thanks,

Brenda

A cruise vacation planner is direct through Princess, not an outside TA. Many TA's discount Princess cruises, as it is still allowed. Check around for a discount TA and yes, you can save yourself quite a bit over the Princess published rate. ;)

Archived