bike and hike alaska: sitka vs. skagway

epixx

Considering 2 different cruises for family of 4 with active teen (16) and preteen (12) girls who like to bike and hike. One cruise stops in Sitka, and the other one stops in Skagway. Disregarding the other aspects of the 2 cruises, which excursion do you think kids would prefer:

1. Skagway triple adventure (bike, hike, float): http://www.cyclealaska.com/triple.html

or

2. Sitka bike and hike: http://www.islandfeverdiving.com/Bikehike.htm

???

i have not been too sitka so i cant comment on that port city, but if you are thinking about the bike ride on the white pass mt road NO WAY. in the port of skagway and near it would be fine though. i have been in tour vans on that road more than once and have come very close to hitting bikers. it is a very busy road with cars, vans and buses. the side of the road is very narrow in parts with rocks and a rough service. going down hill would be hard to navigate unless you are a very good bike rider. granted this is just my opinion , but i have the poor bikers try to stay out of the way of busy traffic and wonder how they get safely down the mt back too skagway. im sure there are those who have done it and loved it but i would not let my child do it. have a wonderful cruise in what ever you choose too do. :)

Had a look at the link, and the Dyea Road is a dirt road away from the RVs and gawking drivers, IIRC. I'd confirm that with the operators before booking, though. For Sitka, there are many opportunities for marine wildlife etc on boat tours, so I'd go with the bike/hike in Skagway, and something that looks for otters etc in Sitka. JMHO. And seriously, CONFIRM with the operator in Skagway that you will NOT be biking on a road with heavy vehicular traffic :)

Rental cars are not allowed on Dyea Road and it dead-ends at a park, so other than locals going to their homes, some small tour vans and the occasional crazy RVer (I stayed at a B&B on Dyea Road and right when I arrived, a RV ran completely off the road, ending up perched in the trees like a bird) you're really not going to have much traffic.

This is a tough call, because I think your group would enjoy both. So that's good news; you can't go wrong.

But I'd lean more towards Skagway, because the kids will get an actual education with the Chilkoot Trail story and Dyea the ghost town. And they get out on the river. I'm surprised the description doesn't plump it up a bit; I've seen seals and porpoises in that inlet.

• 1 month later...
Which tour did you decide on? We are looking at the bike, hike float in Skagway, and can't find much info on it. We have teens, so it is also looking interesting to us!

We decided to go biking on our own. We decided not to sign up for an organized tour because we don't want to go if it's pouring rain. We have some free time in Anchorage, Sitka, and Victoria, so if the weather is nice in any of those places then we'll just rent bikes and go on our own.

Hi epixx,

We are first timers to Alaska and stopping in Skagway on our Princess cruise in June. We are fairly active and wanted another option other than the RT White Pass Railroad into Yukon. I've been doing my research and everyone on the boards says that White Pass Summit is a don't miss, and so is Emerald Lake. This tour I found at Southeast Tours (Yukon Mountain Bike and Hike Adventure Tour) seems like it fits the bill for us in Skagway. Website: http://southeasttours.com/yukon_mountain_bike_hike_adventure_skagway_alaska_tour_info.html

My husband spoke with the tour operator today and he said that the weather is a lot nicer in the Yukon for the hike/bike and you bike on trails, not the side of the road. Just thought I would share that with you for an option, as we really enjoy biking and hiking as well.

Hi epixx,

We are first timers to Alaska and stopping in Skagway on our Princess cruise in June. We are fairly active and wanted another option other than the RT White Pass Railroad into Yukon. I've been doing my research and everyone on the boards says that White Pass Summit is a don't miss, and so is Emerald Lake. This tour I found at Southeast Tours (Yukon Mountain Bike and Hike Adventure Tour) seems like it fits the bill for us in Skagway. Website: http://southeasttours.com/yukon_mountain_bike_hike_adventure_skagway_alaska_tour_info.html

My husband spoke with the tour operator today and he said that the weather is a lot nicer in the Yukon for the hike/bike and you bike on trails, not the side of the road. Just thought I would share that with you for an option, as we really enjoy biking and hiking as well.

just my opinion, but the trails would be much better than the white pass mt road . the main road can be very narrow, rocky and very, very busy with tour buses and cars. please take care if you decide on this tour. i have seen the bikers have a tough time of it manuvering the ride and keeping out of the travic. enjoy your tour and cruise. and remember, mine arejust my thoughts and obersavion. others have probably taken this tour up the mt and back and loved it.

The biking portion of this tour is on maintained trails around Emerald Lake, not on the side of the white pass mt road... YIKES! I'm with you dustyroad - I don't want to be roadkill! ;)

Be aware, though, that these trails are for experienced mountain-bikers. Southeast rates it as "Hard" for good reasons (though it's not Very Hard :) ) - there are steep sections (up and down), sandy sections and narrow sections between trees. There's no way I'd ride the White Pass highway route, but these trails are great if you have the experience.

The biking portion of this tour is on maintained trails around Emerald Lake, not on the side of the white pass mt road... YIKES! I'm with you dustyroad - I don't want to be roadkill! ;)

im glad too hear that. now my next priority would be too make sure i had a very soft seat on the bike :D.

I did the train up and bike down and I loved it. I did not feel that it was unsafe. There was a van in front of us, and a van behind us. The van in front would radio the guide and let us know when a car was coming. We saw maybe 10 cars at the most. There was plenty of room for us. I have not been on a bike in years, but had no trouble. The majority was downhill. We would stop and take pictures along the way. Great experience. I had never gone through customs on a bike before.

• 11 months later...

Looking for someone who has actually taken this ride in Skagway. How much traffic are we talking about? There will be 4 cruise ships in port the day we are there. I contacted the company direct and they assured me they have been doing the ride for 17 years with no problem; however, they really didn't give a good answer to how much traffic we are talking about. Thanks

Archived