Chair hogs

Janespup

I just read a post that said that the serenity decks are first targets for chair hogs. They put their stuff on them and disappear for the morning! Carnival still doesn't do anything about chair hogs?? Please tell me they do enforce a policy of some kind!

I just read a post that said that the serenity decks are first targets for chair hogs. They put their stuff on them and disappear for the morning! Carnival still doesn't do anything about chair hogs?? Please tell me they do enforce a policy of some kind!

We have taken less desirable spots and watch chair hogs chairs. After a hour politely ask the pool attendant to remove their things and hold them. Chair hogs will show up pissed but just say we say a Carnival employee cleaning the chairs and we sat down after that. :D

Sort of like this..................

chair_hogs.jpg

This was on the Fantasy last January. After about an hour, the attendant removed all of the towels. One person "reserved" all of these seats. She ran out of towels and resorted to draping one over two to save the last four in the row. I was there for several hours and never did see her come back!

I was just on the Splendor and they generally had scenic pictures on the big screen during the day or when nothing else was showing. The had a banner scrolling across the bottom reminding people of the that if chairs were left vacant for more than 40 minutes that they would be cleared by deck attendants. Chair hogging didn't appear to be a huge problem.

I would wait no more than 20 minutes, then I'd remove the stuff (the orange?) to an attendant and take the spot.

Yep, wait just long enough to make sure the culprit hasn't gone to the bathroom, then take their chair. Hand whatever was in the chair to an employee, or if there is no employee in sight, move it to a nearby spot so it can easily be found.

There's not much worse than someone who claims a spot at 7 am and does not intend to use it until 10 am!

If someone complains that you are in their chair, tell them that passengers do not own or rent chairs, and that if vacant more than 20 minutes, it's available for anyone's use.

In the picture above, where 10 chairs were saved with towels, there is no chance that all 10 people are in the bathroom at the same time, or are all 10 in the hot tub together. If you see something like that, you can feel free to take the chairs immediately. They are clearly not occupied.

I have a question regarding the picture posted above-

the person used the carnival towels- will that person be charged 22 bucks for each towel that the attendent took?

Just off the Glory with the new Serenity area, couldn't get a seat most days and forget those clamshell thingys, I think you have to sleep in them to reservie it. One day a nice lady saw me looking for a chair, the one next to her had a hair clip on the edge, but she said no one had been there for over an hour, so I thanked her and laid down, about 2 hours later a young girl comes by and says to me, "That's my Chair and this is my hair clip to hold it". I had laid it down on the table next to the chair. I just looked at her and replied, "so sorry, but I didn't see your name on the chair when I sat down". She stormed off in a huff, but really a hair clip for over 3 hours.

We also just got off the Glory about 10 days ago. The clam shells were always hogged and I am sure people slept in them all night to "reserve" them for the day. We actually witnessed a fight over one of those blue rocking chairs. Someone removed another guy's stuff that he was using to "hold" the chair. When the guy came back, there was an argument and the hogger threw a sneaker at the person's head. Security was on him in seconds. We never saw the sneaker thrower again:cool:. Maybe he was put in the brig:D!!!!!

We also just got off the Glory about 10 days ago. The clam shells were always hogged and I am sure people slept in them all night to "reserve" them for the day. We actually witnessed a fight over one of those blue rocking chairs. Someone removed another guy's stuff that he was using to "hold" the chair. When the guy came back, there was an argument and the hogger threw a sneaker at the person's head. Security was on him in seconds. We never saw the sneaker thrower again:cool:. Maybe he was put in the brig:D!!!!!

Anyone stupid enough to fight over a chair deserves a sneaker to the head:rolleyes:

Just off the Dream 2/27. Everyday in the CarnivalCapers was a notice: Reserving of Deck Chairs - As a courtesy to other guests, reserving of deck chairs IS NOT PERMITTED. Chairs left vacant for 40 minutes or longer will be reassigned by the Pool Attendant to waiting guests. The notice was also continuously scrolling across the bottom of the theater screen at the lido deck pool.

Plenty of wiggle room in that policy. Evidently you can 'reserve' them for 40 minutes! And that is 40 minutes after the Pool Attendant is notified! And good luck in finding a pool attendant.

I saw one confrontation where an elderly couple took some 'reserved' chairs from old (20's) boys. These boys were not happy. The elderly couple held their ground. Ship personnel (man in white) got between them. One boy kept saying 'let's call security'. I wanted to intervene at this point because I was hoping security would be called so I could witness how this issue would be definitively resolved. But alas, no security called, guy in white just stood there between them until the boys finally wandered off. As a parting shot the 'call security' boy looked back glaringly at the elderly couple and said "this is a long cruise". Clearly, a veiled threat. Security should have handled it. A long cruise indeed locked in your stateroom for the week. What part of NOT PERMITTED did they not understand!

The part that gets me is the CHAIR HOG acts like the person who removed the items is the one who is to blame..Same goes for SAVING seats in the theatre...:rolleyes:

Both are to blame if there is a fight over a silly chair.......

I would say ,pool area first then serenity.

As of to date , Carnival Freedom is the only ship that I have noticed any type of enforcement. Oct / 09 Freedom got it right !

Just off the Freedom and chair hogs were in full force. Didn't see any sort of enforcement. The theater was bad, too. For one of the main shows, four seats in the row ahead of me was saved by lady's shawl for over an hour (we were in the theater for bingo/activities beforehand). Seats filled up quickly & a lot of people couldn't find places to sit on the main floor, but still nobody dared to move the shawl. There wasn't anyone in those seats until the chair hogs showed up a few minutes before showtime. I was encouraging people to take the seats and made a few loud comments when they came back. I wish I would have taken a picture because it was pretty funny.

Sort of like this..................

chair_hogs.jpg

This was on the Fantasy last January. After about an hour, the attendant removed all of the towels. One person "reserved" all of these seats. She ran out of towels and resorted to draping one over two to save the last four in the row. I was there for several hours and never did see her come back!

In my opinion 'towels' are not enough to 'save' a lounger. If I saw a lounger with just a towel, I would take the chair. Now, if there were other items, I would wait for a while, as per the rules, then that would be a different story.

Archived