TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

I found that some ships do not give out toiletries and you end up buying expensive ones from the on board shop ie shampoo, conditioner, body lotions. As these usually are provided by hotels I hadn't packed any.

Some washing powder to rinse through smalls is good too.

A tip on the credit cards - When we travel I carry one, such as the Visa, and my wife carries a different one like a MC. That way if her purse or my wallet is "missing" the other one's credit card is still good. If you both carry a card on the same account and one looses it, the other person's card is no longer any good when you call it into the credit card company.

For our trip to Spain next year, we'll have an ATM card linked to an account with the bare minimum in it. An ATM card linked to one of your major bank accounts can get very expensive if it is hacked.

On Carnival they have irons in the laundry room for those quick touchups.

Better yet. Don't buy anything ;)

Bubbles!!! So your kids (and yourselves) can enjoy blowing them off your balcony or off one of the decks at the sail-aways. My cruising friend and I are retired elementary teachers and we enjoy blowing bubbles, since we can't throw confetti off the ship any more.

I did this with my kids and a bubble went into a guys drink below us, He yelled at my kids and poured his drink out. It got all over the person below him and she started yelling. Never again! lol

I couldn't read all the answers so maybe it is mentioned but I would bring a diary / notebook in order to write down every evening or twice a day what you did that day.

So much is happening that you forget it easily, especially on which day:D

According to list of things you SHOULD NOT TAKE...an iron is one of them...how did you get it on the ship?????????????????

I can honestly say, its really easy. I have been on 8 cruises, and I have brought my full sized iron on every one of them, and its coming on my next cruise as well.

I'm pretty sure that if you charge your cruise or airfare on your credit card, you don't need to call your cc company to let them know that you'll be travelling and not to put a stop on your card. They already know.

Not necessarily true. A few years ago my wife went to China.

She tried to pay for a dinner with friends and card was denied.

Called the company and they said since she was living in

Boston and charges showed up in Beijing.

SO THEY WERE THINKING IDENTIFY THEFT..

I asked the CC co. if they could check back to the previous month.

On it was a rt ticket to Beijing she purchased the month before her trip.

Duh they profusely apologized and adjusted what they needed to do.

So call your CC company and let them kow what islands you will be traveling to..

I'm pretty sure that if you charge your cruise or airfare on your credit card, you don't need to call your cc company to let them know that you'll be travelling and not to put a stop on your card. They already know.

My card was declined in Vegas (and yes I had booked my flight to Vegas on the same card and used it to hold my room before I left) and I had to phone them and verify it was me making the charge when I tried to use it while in Vegas. They told me at that time if we were travelling (especially out of country) that we should notify them or it may happen again. No problem a small roaming fee for my cell, problem solved. But I wouldn't want to have to make that same satalite driven cell call, or from ship to shore to have to verify. Just a wise thing to do and really takes no effort.

Edited by che5904

Definitely not true.

The speed with which CC fraud is perpetrated has led to equally fast responses by CC companies.

They do not make any attempt to review your purchase history before they freeze your account if they suspect that some cc activity is fraudulent. They would rather inconvenience you than lose money.

The bigger issue is that some CC companies have set their sensitivity levels way too high and they are freezing activity for what you and I consider a regular recurring transaction.

I stand corrected, but in all my years of travel and cruising, I've never had a problem using my American Express or Visa cards. Just lucky, I guess.

Last year was the first year it happened to me. So maybe it is happening more often.

Definitely not true.

The speed with which CC fraud is perpetrated has led to equally fast responses by CC companies.

They do not make any attempt to review your purchase history before they freeze your account if they suspect that some cc activity is fraudulent. They would rather inconvenience you than lose money.

The bigger issue is that some CC companies have set their sensitivity levels way too high and they are freezing activity for what you and I consider a regular recurring transaction.

The sneaky little boogers actually booked amtrack tickets for Washington State with my card - I caught it - cc wasn't even aware because I had booked a flight to Seattle using that card. Always check your cc activity before any nasty suprises appear on your bills. I've caught three charges in one year!

Even if you do notify your CC company of your travel plans, do NOT be surprised if they freeze your account when charges start showing up from some foreign location. They practice the art of ready, fire, aim.

Make sure you have the appropriate CC contact phone numbers with you just in case they have worn off the back of your card.

I did this with my kids and a bubble went into a guys drink below us, He yelled at my kids and poured his drink out. It got all over the person below him and she started yelling. Never again! lol

This made me laugh out loud, literally. The chain reaction - I love it!

The devilish side of me wants to take bubbles on the next cruise!:D

for all you bringing water bottles and refilling at the buffet?

*gag*

Please don't spread your germs. yuck.

at least I know now where NOT to get water.

yikes.

I've read here that you fill up a regular glass and then you pour it into your bottle. (The poster above you even suggested a funnel for just such a maneuver.) What's gross about that? We're bringing water bottles with us-- sounds like a smart idea.

I guess I typed it wrong...I was mainly reacting to her saying that the rule not to fill your water bottle at the water tap was being broken by people she saw doing it.

There was a sign at the buffet on the Musica admonishing people not to do that.

MTL -- were we separated at birth???? :D

I'm sure with the millions of customers the CC company have, they have plenty of time to be looking at your purchase and making a note on your account regarding your travel ticket recite. What happens when you book a room 18 months out and your CC card company forgot about the recite and turns your card off while your out of country. Wake up Ward and June Cleaver it's not 1950 anymore.

Swiss Army Knife ------ Be careful with this item.

Our's WAS packed in our CHECKED luggage on our Southern Caribbean Luggage and we were called to the luggage X-Ray machine to personally remove it from our luggage. Security keeped it in their office until we returned from our cruise. Usually a ship will have 2,000 + pieces of luggage being checked in..... sometimes they will find it...or not. Just be ready for the phone call or message.

As far as the iron or steam iron is concerned.....there is always the bathroom shower steam that still works great. Unless you are in a suite the showers are going to be small enough to do a good enough job to steam your clothes....you can then use your own hands to press out the wrinkles.

Remember your on vacation .... have a great time.

OceanDreams

Edited by OceanDreams

1. Definitely some sort of refillable bottle. The only glasses/cups on the Norwegian Pearl were 8oz glasses, without lids. It's not such a big deal once you start going in to towns, but those few sailing days can be a pain if you're thirsty. If I ever go on a cruise again will definitely bring a refillable bottle.

2. A watch -- I had lots of people stop me to ask what time it was because I was wearing a watch, good for the plane ride too.

3. Binoculars -- Shared ours with numerous people who didn't think about this.

4. Possibly a fold-up/small laundry hamper. Didn't think about this and we didn't have a good place to place our dirty laundry, ended up just making a neat pile in the closet.

5. Hangers are a good idea if you're a heavy packer or have quite a few people in your room. I think our room had about 15 hangers in the closet.

*Norwegian Pearl - Alaskan Cruise - May 14-May 22, 2011*

I could have used some more blow up hangers for hanging things out to dry (the room had plenty of hangers, but they didn't have a "C" part so couldn't be hung up except for the closet where they clipped on tho the rod).

Bring walkie talkies so yo can always know where your loved ones are if you can't find them.

The best answer has been birth control but I'm sure you love those 3 souvenirs.

Fascination, Jubilee, Triumph, Destiny, Pride, [2], Miracle, [2], Victory, [2], Liberty, Freedom, Valor, Legend, Glory, Explorer of the Seas, Dawn, Majesty, Gem

I'm sure with the millions of customers the CC company have, they have plenty of time to be looking at your purchase and making a note on your account regarding your travel ticket recite. What happens when you book a room 18 months out and your CC card company forgot about the recite and turns your card off while your out of country. Wake up Ward and June Cleaver it's not 1950 anymore.

I know it's not 1950 anymore. There are computer programs now that can handle matching up purchases.

Second the comments of zip lock bags, esp on last day after you brush your teeth, put your wet toothbrush in one to pack. Also can carry wet wash cloth in one on excursions if you need to wash up.

I also put all my bottled wet items in them (shampoo, sunscreen etc) which can save your other luggage/items in case of a spill / explosion.

Also taking a large envelope with cardboard for pictures you purchase - getting home with creased/bent photos you paid too much for is maddening.

More suggestion that packing item -

My friend took a small grease board/markers and wrote the day's itinerary on it, and then took a digital photograph of the board - it helped after the days started melding together to identify what was what / where was where as she went back through photos when she got home.

• 4 months later...