TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

Just back from the Epic. I forgot conditioner (I thought what I packed was conditioner but it was shampoo!) that was a problem with the sea water and air. And their was NO conditioner anywhere. I went to the spa and they had hair mask for 39$. OMG!! It took till the 3rd excursion to get conditioner...for 7$ in Cozumel...grr. Oh and I forgot sunscreen. OF course we could get that for $15 on board!! I had to laugh...sunscreen! what was I thinking?

The greatest thing I brought was gallon size zip lock bags and snack size zip lock bags. I bagged jewelry in the small ones and then stuck them in the bigger one to hold them all together. I did the same with make up and toiletry stuff first in individual small bags then in all together in the bigger bag. It made clean up a snap. Throw it all together and dump in a basket and then pull it all out to use it.

Also I kept the larger bags in luggage for dirty underwear and socks and then in the beach bag for wet clothing when changing on excursions.

I also brought two refillable water bottles and those were life savers too. I was thirsty all the time. I had one that was insulated and it kept things cold forever. I would go up to the drink fountains and fill them with ice (make sure they are wide mouthed) and some lemon strips and then water...I used the available plastic cups to dump in ice and water because there were notes to not refill bottles under the machine. The water was great and it cuts down on buying soda.

The biggest surprise was there was no water up on the sports deck. Its wide open and the kids are actively playing hard. I thought they should have a cooler so noone gets sick. You know kids...they will play till they drop. The result is they end up back at the Spice H20 bar (where you don't really want them anyway) ordering glasses of water..the bartender got surly with my daughter when she would forget her water bottle or finish it and need more. She started ordering soda so he wouldn't be mad?? :eek:

Travel mug or Reusable water bottle - I used this to refill those super small water glasses at the buffet. The glasses were so tiny. My husband did read that you are not supposed to fill personal containers from the water dispenser (although this didn't stop most people) I would just use a glass to fill my bottle each time and use the bottle for refills at the table. We drink A LOT of water so this saved us a ton of trips and many dirty glasses.

And to help fill those refillable bottles, I would recommend a small plastic funnel.

Also, with all the power strip mentions, don't forget the power chords for the phone, camera, MP3 player, etc.

for all you bringing water bottles and refilling at the buffet?

*gag*

Please don't spread your germs. yuck.

at least I know now where NOT to get water.

yikes.

I've read here that you fill up a regular glass and then you pour it into your bottle. (The poster above you even suggested a funnel for just such a maneuver.) What's gross about that? We're bringing water bottles with us-- sounds like a smart idea.

camera

extra batteries/charger

small bills for tipping luggage porter, cabbies, room service

book to read

air freshner for the bathroom

laynard to put room card on (for kids)

good walking shoes

suntan lotion

sunglasses

binocculars

I agree with the laynard (adults too), I bring lysol for the barthroom, and don't forget the binocculars, because you never you know what you will seee, such as dolphins...

we bring a magnetic picture for our cabin door so the kids and adults don't forget which cabin is ours.... LOL... one never knows... also I bring a magnetic note pad for communication and a magnetic clip to hold papers..

Lisa

I've read here that you fill up a regular glass and then you pour it into your bottle. (The poster above you even suggested a funnel for just such a maneuver.) What's gross about that? We're bringing water bottles with us-- sounds like a smart idea.

I guess I typed it wrong...I was mainly reacting to her saying that the rule not to fill your water bottle at the water tap was being broken by people she saw doing it.

On our first 2 cruises I packed too much stuff. DH did just fine. Cruises #3,4 and 5 I did better. But by cruise #6 I was really good - DH and I shared a large suitcase!

And now this next time, because we have been in the same suite before and know what it's like, I can even leave the power strip at home! Hooray!

Besides clothes, meds, toiletries and reading material, the things I will not cruise without are binoculars and candied ginger. The ginger helps settle an upset tummy. I don't get seasick but on the days we are at sea, I do notice the motion more and sometimes start to feel slightly queazy. The ginger settles it right down.

Have fun!

On our first 2 cruises I packed too much stuff. DH did just fine. Cruises #3,4 and 5 I did better. But by cruise #6 I was really good - DH and I shared a large suitcase!

And now this next time, because we have been in the same suite before and know what it's like, I can even leave the power strip at home! Hooray!

Besides clothes, meds, toiletries and reading material, the things I will not cruise without are binoculars and candied ginger. The ginger helps settle an upset tummy. I don't get seasick but on the days we are at sea, I do notice the motion more and sometimes start to feel slightly queazy. The ginger settles it right down.

Have fun!

where could I get candied ginger? that would not be a bad idea... thanks

Lisa

for all you bringing water bottles and refilling at the buffet?

*gag*

Please don't spread your germs. yuck.

at least I know now where NOT to get water.

yikes.

As a previous poster mentioned, I bring a small funnel and refill my water bottle by pouring glasses of water into my portable bottle. No germs.

Eyeglass repair kit! Not only for reading glasses but sunglasses. I once had the screw fall out of the only pair of sunglasses that I brought and was forced to wear one armed sunglasses for 3 days.

Excellent post. I also wear reading glasses and have learned to bring at least one extra pair with me. Nothing like trying to read with one armed glasses and they keep falling off your face. Especially looks great when you're at the pool.:D

Pop up hamper for your dirty laundry (or large garbage bags)

Lysol wipes to wipe down door knobs, switches, toilet handle etc..

folding binoculars

umbrella or rain panchos

thank you cards (in case you want to give any extra tips)

We take at least 2 cruises a year, getting good at what to bring ;)

where could I get candied ginger? that would not be a bad idea... thanks

Lisa

The best place I have found it is at Trader Joe's. Whole Foods is another option but it will cost two or three times as much as Trader Joe's.

Eyeglass repair kit! Not only for reading glasses but sunglasses. I once had the screw fall out of the only pair of sunglasses that I brought and was forced to wear one armed sunglasses for 3 days.

if you have glasses also bring a strap to keep them from flying off your head and a spare pair or you back up set.

last year I forgot both strap and the spare and lost my main pair in the surf in Mexico, I freaked out because I'm legally blind with out my glasses and I had drove from Seattle to San Diego. I got real lucky and was able to find them after about 10 minuets of feeling for them with my toes in the sand. That was the longest 10 minuets of my life. I went and bought straps to put in every piece of luggage we own so that will never happen again.

Extension cord/multiple electric outlet. Electric candles/tea lights. Scented oil. Small gift for room steward, hand held steamer (Irons are confisicated on some ships). Personal sign for door. Portable speakers for I-Pod. Smile on your Face!!!

OK, we're down to a few weeks before our first-ever cruise (2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 7), and we're starting to think about packing. So my question - what are the things that first-time cruisers would never think to bring, and that I'll be kicking myself about all week? Not the obvious - wine opener, passport, etc. - looking for stuff I'd NEVER think of.

Thanks in advance - and I will compile a Top 10 list and post it (based on my own assessment, of course...) if I get enough responses (and then we can argue about my rankings).

I always bring Spray 'n' Wash Stain Stick to use immediately after a stain appears, whether I'll be doing my own laundry or sending it out! We always need extra plugs, so I bring adapters. I used to bring my own pillow, but somehow I outgrew that need. Now I go with just a carry-on suitcase and one bag, so no fees for checked bags and no worry about my luggage heading in a different direction. To save money, my husband brings a 24-pack of his favorite soda. We're leaving in three days onboard Star Princess for the transatlantic journey to Rome, so of course I got Euros to save time and worry once we're in Europe. Now we can get on the hop-on/hop-off buses or buy coffee or pastry.... and pay for our 4 nights' lodging and food in Italy before heading home. I hope to see another Cruise Critic onboard!

Hi Everyone... I did post reguarding bringing a reusable water bottle for the cruise.. NO I do not refill them in the buffet line.... I either fill the bottle with ice in our room and water from the tap there OR if I do not have time to go back to the room after eating before going on shore, I get glasses from the buffet line, fill them one with ice and another with water I use them to fill the bottles... I too worry about germs... That is why I also carry hand santizer...

I've enjoyed reading everyone's lists and have been writing down things I'll need in October. One thing I didn't see mentioned is an extension cord. If you sleep with a CPap as I do you might need it. On our last cruise, the outlets were on the opposite wall from the bed. I plugged the extension cord into our power strip for the night and unplugged it during the day.

Crap! I have to write this all down???? Now I'll have to start ALL over!:p

Leaving on the 16th - great lists.

Remember -- most of our cell phones now have alarm clocks built right in. Don't need to bring the alarm clocks anymore.

Someone posted to turn off your phones because of data charges for "international" water? Not true? Anyone know if they received additional charges to their phone bills for an Alaskan cruise (Canadian ports)?:confused:

Someone posted to turn off your phones because of data charges for "international" water? Not true? Anyone know if they received additional charges to their phone bills for an Alaskan cruise (Canadian ports)?:confused:

on my NCL Jewel cruise last week from NYC to Bahamas...many pax who had Tmobile, Verizon and AT&T had no service for calls or texting while on the ship...only in Florida and Nassau was there any service.

In my case, I added international service and Verizon sent me a text (which happened to get thru..but that was the only one that did) saying I could text away at .50 outgoing and .05 incoming...NCL even left a card in the cabin saying the same thing.....but the truth is that even though Verizon and NCL both said I would have service on the ship...it didn't happen.....and I wasn't alone with this issue BTW..

We were fine but I would hate to think of those who left kids behind:eek:

The consensus was that it was a ship's issue...not cell provider issue