TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

3M COMMAND HOOKS!!!! I am a hook addict. I love hooks, and staterooms never have enough. I bring a bunch of different sizes, hang them up the first day, and then take them down as we disembark.

Other stuff:

Flameless Candles for the bath

Febreze

Mesh Bag for toting pool stuff

Power Strip (imagine that)

OTC meds

Batteries, batteries, batteries

Large (1.5-2.0 gallon) Zipper Bags. Essential.

Night Light

Short Bungee cords (I always find a way to use these)

Pop-Up Hamper

Duct Tape

Travel Mugs

Big Refillable Water Bottles

Camelbak with large bladder

Small travel-size steam iron. I didn't think to bring one on my first cruise. I thought there would be one in the cabin (like a hotel room). No iron, had to send things to be pressed, very pricey. Now, I always pack it. Our friends went with us after Thanksgiving and borrowed it. They didn't think to pack one either.

Have fun!

I've read you can request one sent to your room for short time use, hope this is true cause I won't pay to have them do it.

• 5 weeks later...
Mosquito spray for land excursions in Alaska. Who would believe we'd be eaten alive in Fairbanks? Also, take half the clothes you think you'll need.

Good advice - The Mosquito is Alaska's "STATE BIRD".

Something I learned on these boards is to pack your bag. After you finish, remove half the clothes and repack. Repeat a couple times. I did a week long cruise with just a carry on and backpack.

Bring 2 bathing suits. You will always have at least one wet at any given time!

Bring layers, layers, and more layers. We also brought a blanket that we could plug in, sit out on our balcony, and enjoy the scenery. Especially when we cruised Glacier Bay. Best cruise I've ever taken.

Leaving on the 16th - great lists.

Remember -- most of our cell phones now have alarm clocks built right in. Don't need to bring the alarm clocks anymore.

To me the # 1 item to bring -- a power strip. Couldn't cruise without it.

something i learned on these boards is to pack your bag. After you finish, remove half the clothes and repack. Repeat a couple times. I did a week long cruise with just a carry on and backpack.

Bring 2 bathing suits. You will always have at least one wet at any given time!

ditto ditto ditto :d

I just bought two "vapor bottles" for our cruise. They fold up for easy storage and you can fill them up at the buffet and clip them onto your backpack or purse for your excursions. Super neat! I got mine on Ebay for cheap, but here is their website:

http://vapur.us/

Thanks for posting this! After reading your post, I purchased two of them. My husband and I never have water with us in the ports and this will be perfect for that! :D

Edited by vowsatsea

I am only on page 2 of reading this thread, and apologies if this was posted already, somebody said not much room in the bathroom - make sure you check if the mirror can be opened as there may be shelves behind it, worked for us on some ships.

• 2 weeks later...

If, like us, you are from the uk but like to travel on US based ships don't forget voltage adaptors. Last cruise on rccl Enchantement I forgot mine and no uk three pin adaptors on sale which resulted in a HUGE salon bill getting my hair straightened every other day.

A power strip is basically an extention cord that on one end has the ability recieve multiple electrical appliances , any where from 3 to 8 outlets. Great for plugging in chargers for camera , cell phones , mp3 players , laptops etc. Also if you just need an extra outlet to use for a CPAP machine ( for Sleep Apnia ) as the commercial says "don't leave home without it " I always bring one with me no matter where I travel.

Cheers ....the Ump :D

Water Bottles that you can refill... It gets very hot walking around the island and also VERY EXPENSIVE to purchase bottled water for everyone! Also I bring reading materials for down time for either when you are sitting at the pool, waiting for shows to start or even traveling... ALSO PLENTY OF SUN SCREEN with HIGH SPF!! Especially if you burn easy.... Hope you have a great time... we are going on our 8th cruise in September...

Echo - bug spray and Aloe for sun exposure

Add - Woolite pouches for that mid-cruise freshen up of your clothes.

Add for techies -- a small portable USB drive with all your favorite TV shows in mp4 or avi format. Most of the ships TVs today accept USB drives and will play saved videos. (for those late evening sloth nights or for those kids who must have Dora on... etc.)

A power strip is basically an extention cord that on one end has the ability recieve multiple electrical appliances , any where from 3 to 8 outlets. Great for plugging in chargers for camera , cell phones , mp3 players , laptops etc. Also if you just need an extra outlet to use for a CPAP machine ( for Sleep Apnia ) as the commercial says "don't leave home without it " I always bring one with me no matter where I travel.

Cheers ....the Ump :D

I have a little brown plastic square that has a plug on 1 end to plug into the outlet then 3 other holes to plug things in. Its about the size of a ping pong ball and takes up lots less space then a power strip.