TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

Now, I have a serious question... I have heard many times of people taking old undies and then throwing them away. Just where did you throw them away? You know that the cruise line has to go through all the trash to separate recycle things from non recycle right? I just can't imagine throwing away my undies in the ship. So did you do it on land at a port? Take them in a baggie and toss in the first trash can?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LOL! I thought I was the only one who brought "old undies" and then threw them out... Yes, I took mine to Port and tossed them there. I also throw out other things I bring.

I save the big plastic caps from Laundry detergent bottles... these make great "holders" on the ship for Change, earrings, toothbrushes, makeup tubes, eyeliner and mascara, etc. I then throw them away before end of cruise....

But yes, I knew they go through the garbage, so I took my Undies to port with me.....

Edited by Litehouse9

one thing i don't think i've seen so far is a small waterproof container to take with you when you go ashore. It'll attach to a lanyard and can hold your money, paperwork, C/C, cabin room card and other small things you don't want to lose or get wet.

PFC.10301400.jpg

This way, when we go swimming at the beach, we don't have to leave anything behind in a locker or risk it sitting on our loungers. We're paranoid though and put the items in a ziploc *then* in the waterproof container just in case.

Any other tips have already been mentioned so there's no need to keep repeating them.

Hi. I use the very same kind of plastic container to hold my room key, spare change, ID, etc. But in Barcelona, Rome, etc. I did not use this kind of case... Pickpockets cut things from your neck! I used an "under the clothes" neck bag with CUT PROOF cord.

• 2 months later...

Good Company! Just got back from the Cruise from Hell with my brother who complained the ENTIRE TIME. I'll never cruise again with uptight, arrogant jerks!!! Ughh!

I still had fun once I ditched him!

Power Strips, Power Strips, Power Strips!!!

Good Company! Just got back from the Cruise from Hell with my brother who complained the ENTIRE TIME. I'll never cruise again with uptight, arrogant jerks!!! Ughh!

I still had fun once I ditched him!

Power Strips, Power Strips, Power Strips!!!

I've never needed a power strip but I couldn't agree more with the first suggestion! Just overhearing some of the other passengers can be a bummer and I never get what their issues are. :confused:

If your hair is not short but not long enough to tie back, you might consider Detangle spray for your hair, sea days can be windy!

Over-door shoe holder - hang on bathroom door for all your odds 'n' bobs, which will always be at your fingertips, and keeps the room tidy

Water shoes or rubber flip-flops to wear around the pool and to go up to the water slide (if the ship has one) - the deck can be HOT!!

Leave the body lotion at home - your skin will be wonderful after a few days of sunscreen, aloe gel and salt water.

I did the door hanger last time but had nowhere to hang it. What do you use for hangers..mine had metal grommets at the top two corners.

We like to take our reuseable water bottles for day trips. Remember when you go to the ice and water dispensers to use a clean glass for filling, don't put your bottle up to the dispenser....the staff will be quick to notice!

We travel with a backpack so it's used for shore excursion days too. I don't carry a purse this way.

I would add Pepto Bismol (I prefer the chewable tablet type)

That way if your stomache gets upset due to food poisoning (which the cruise industry likes to call norovirus) you can deal with it without making the mistake of saying "my stomache hurts" to any employee of the ship which would result in your imprisonment in your cabin for god only knows how long. Missed a port you've wanted to see your whole life? Too bad. Want a refund? Go frack yourself.

That way if your stomache gets upset due to food poisoning (which the cruise industry likes to call norovirus)

FYI, food poisoning won't pass from person to person. Norvirus does so quickly whether the people have eaten the same food or not!

I've enjoyed reading everyone's lists and have been writing down things I'll need in October. One thing I didn't see mentioned is an extension cord. If you sleep with a CPap as I do you might need it. On our last cruise, the outlets were on the opposite wall from the bed. I plugged the extension cord into our power strip for the night and unplugged it during the day.

Mooder: No Power Strip? You must be a dude not a chick! LOL! When my niece and I share a room we have hair dryers, curling irons, straightners, etc and we have to charge our phones, cameras, laptop. We used to fight over the outlets! LOL!

BTW, LOVE the ROFL COPTER!!!!

Stuff to Decorate the Outside of Your Stateroom Door

People will decorate the outside of their door sometimes. It's fun and reminds me of being back in college at the Dorm. A lot of people will hang memo boards or a note pad so people who are cruising with them can leave a message if they stop by and aren't there. Or the people who are staying in that room will leave a not about where they are.

Great thread!

I've seen all of these mentioned, but thought that I would add my $0.02 worth:

• Thank you notes for the staff that you may want to tip towards the end of your cruise. The thankyou notes are almost non-existant onboard.
  • Sunglasses...not just any sunglasses, but Polorized sunglasses. You will be amazed at how well you can see into the water, and just how much glare they will cut.
  • Hat...with a wide brim....again, it will shade your eyes, and greatly cut down on the glare.
  • Powerstrip....they make small travel powerstrips now that offer 3 110 plugs as well as two USB ports. Great for all sorts of things.
  • Aloe Vera. Even a small bottle may well be worth it's weight in gold.
  • Sea Bands. Oddly (and I do not pretend to understand how they can possibly work, but my DW, my DD and my daughter in law swear by them.) About $10 at Wally's or Walgreens.
  • A small Swiss knife (put it in your checked baggage) for those darned "bullet proof" plastic containers.
  • If you smoke, an extra Bic lighter (again, in your checked luggage) otherwise your Bic will fail the first day at sea, and the lighters that they sell on the ship, suck.
  • Tums, Rolaids, etc.
  • Small denomination bills. Tip those cruise members that help make your cruise outstanding!

Well, I have just read 10 pages of people making lists of all the same things. You would think if someone was going to add they would actually add not re list things. There are many good ideas, but do they need to be on 100 posts? I kept reading hoping to actually find more things one would not think to bring.

Answer to the shoe bag hanging problem. I buy one at Dollar Tree and there is usually a metal hook on bathroom wall. I just poke hole in bag and use it there. Only a dollar and toss at the end of cruise.

[*]If you smoke, an extra Bic lighter (again, in your checked luggage)

Not if you're flying to the port and don't have a "DOT-approved case" (whatever that is)! This is from the TSA website list of prohibited items:

"Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to the Department of Transportation (DOT) exemption, which allows up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please leave it at home."

I've never needed a power strip but I couldn't agree more with the first suggestion! Just overhearing some of the other passengers can be a bummer and I never get what their issues are. :confused:

Alway bring a power strip. My partner has the most fun standing by the front desk listening to the complainers asking to get their $12/day refunded and watching people run to the ship at the end. We sit on our balcony and she laughs!:D

Edited by Ms belp