TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

• 2 weeks later...
OK, we're down to a few weeks before our first-ever cruise (2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 7), and we're starting to think about packing. So my question - what are the things that first-time cruisers would never think to bring, and that I'll be kicking myself about all week? Not the obvious - wine opener, passport, etc. - looking for stuff I'd NEVER think of.

Thanks in advance - and I will compile a Top 10 list and post it (based on my own assessment, of course...) if I get enough responses (and then we can argue about my rankings).

Tampons?

This made me laugh out loud, literally. The chain reaction - I love it!

The devilish side of me wants to take bubbles on the next cruise!:D

I can't believe a grown person would yell at a child because a bubble landed in their drink. Obviously, what he forgot to pack was a sense of humor!

I can't believe a grown person would yell at a child because a bubble landed in their drink. Obviously, what he forgot to pack was a sense of humor!

Oh good grief!!!! Maybe it's because of my rapidly advancing age, but my reachion would be to give the kid a hug!

It's not like the kid added more liquid to the hot tub!

Regarding the credit cards: The cc company has no information about WHEN you sail or fly. All they see (basically) is the merchant name and an amount. So they do not track your travel. Always better safe than sorry, carry extra cards and if you are inclined, call your cc company with travel plans.

Payment companies lose hundreds of millions in fraud. Their systems are built to protect you.

I too have a lifetime souvenoir. DH and I took our then 8 yr old son an 4 yr old daughter on the Big Red Boat (Disney cruise), Came back with our lifetime souvenoir now 20 yr old daughter. I was 40 at the time and never expected to get pregnant. Oops - definitely forgot the birth control on that cruise.

• 2 months later...
Small travel-size steam iron. I didn't think to bring one on my first cruise. I thought there would be one in the cabin (like a hotel room). No iron, had to send things to be pressed, very pricey. Now, I always pack it. Our friends went with us after Thanksgiving and borrowed it. They didn't think to pack one either.

Have fun!

You need an Azamara Club Cruise...full free laundry facility on board. No NEED to pack your own iron.

Someone already mentioned otc meds, but more specifically Aloe gel. If you get sunburned, it is $12 on the ship for a little thing of it.

Yes! I got sunburned and paid that price for it. Also, a battery alarm clock is on my list. Last time I wasn't thinking at all and tried to use my cell phone - well, obviously at sea the reception is all screwed up and needless to say, my phone told me it was 8 am when it was actually almost 1 in the afternoon!

Walkie talkies. We have 2 kids also and the walkie talkies are great for finding each other on the ship. It also allows you to give the kids some independance and still keep track of them. Costco has a great set of four at a decent price. Have a blast.

Definitely not true.

The speed with which CC fraud is perpetrated has led to equally fast responses by CC companies.

They do not make any attempt to review your purchase history before they freeze your account if they suspect that some cc activity is fraudulent. They would rather inconvenience you than lose money.

The bigger issue is that some CC companies have set their sensitivity levels way too high and they are freezing activity for what you and I consider a regular recurring transaction.

We were driving across the country (yes the U.S.) pulling a trailer so we were stopping every two hours for gas, as we hit the third state of the day our CC was declined at the pumps, when we called they said any suspicious activity will shut your CC off which includes charges at different locations that are more than 100 miles apart in a short time span (less than two days) and that you should always call before traveling. They did extend our card until the end of our trip but they had already issued us a new card that was being sent to our house before we even talked to them, as they do not just decline but cancel your card. With that said we called before a Europe trip and we had not one but two CC companies (visa & MC) and our bank with our ATM card tell us that no charges in France would be authorized even with notice because the CC fraud is so high there with stolen numbers. Had we not known this in advance we would have not had any access to money while in France. Calling in advance is no big deal but the alternative could be. I must say though we only use cash in ports and everthing on the ship goes on one bill at the end. But to the person that said your CC company knows you booked a cruise: they don't get an itinerary or a sailing date! They have no clue its you!

I'm pretty sure that if you charge your cruise or airfare on your credit card, you don't need to call your cc company to let them know that you'll be travelling and not to put a stop on your card. They already know.

They do not get your itinerary and sail date just a charge from the cruise line. They do not know it's you! Your cruise could have a sail date of two weeks or two years and could be anywhere in the world. We've had ours declined for suspicious charges do to traveling when it was us and it was only after three charges.

Not sure if said before BUT:

I always take along a COLOR copy of my passport main page along with me.

I take it with me at most ports and leave my original passport in cabin safe AS most ports do not require an actual passport to get back on ship.

If is one is required the ship will inform you the day/night before entering that port - all USA ports will

Never had a problem after cruising 8 times

Also, before leaving home I make a 1 page color copy of all important cards, etc from wallet and put in cabin safe in case I loose wallet ashore. I know who to call etc from this copy. I'd rather not burden my family or friends with this chore.

Small packets of self laundry detergent and travel clothes pins - not sure if NCL has line in shower - but Princess always did & had actual washing machines to use - but been told NCL does not

Hope this helps

(been enlightening to read thru others)

Hope this helps

Edited by Two Texans

If you or anyone in your family takes Rx meds, briing a copy of the Rx in case your meds get lost or stolen.

Same for Rx eyeglasses, in case you lose or break yours. You might be able to get a replacement on land when you dock.

Make sure you bring phone # of doctors, dentists etc., in case they are needed in an emergency (need info from them while on board or in port)

Small portable 1st Aid kit.

Small portable table top fan - cabins can be somewhat dry especially at night and he extra breeze can help (or a sm. portable humidifier).

Seven cruises during the past 20 years and I haven't left anything behind that I needed. I've taken many things that have been recommended, but actually never needed. Now that I've said that, who knows what I'll forget for our upcoming cruise. We tend to pack light, and try to pack even lighter with each new cruise. There are all kinds of lists on these boards, so check them out and figure out what you'll need that you never thought about.

Bob

I love bigcrusier's tip: bring sense of humor and lots of patience! I have a folder in my computer where I put all my info, including a cruise packing list, which I print early and start marking things off as I get them by the suitcase. You can get pens and change for large bills at the purser's/service desk. Bring address labels and index cards to exchange info with new friends you meet. A small notebook to jot down memories etc for later if you write a cruise journal, like I do after each one. A deck of cards for an impromtu game. Lots of good ideas above this posting!

The credit card tips are good. Call before you go. Also consider that most card companies will charge you a "currency conversion fee" of 2 or 3 percent on purchases made outside of the US. I called several of my card companies until I found one (capital one) that does not charge the fee.

Good ideas! One thing I always pack is an empty spray bottle, like plant mister. Filled with tap water, I can use it to encourage wrinkles to fall out of clothing, cool off a sunburned face, remove that sticky spot where someone set their soda down. and even fluff up my curls.

I also pack cheap wire hangers. Yes, I know they will bring extras, but we've had several cruises where the cabin steward said they had run out, or only gave us 2-3, and even when they do bring them, it's often after I've unpacked.

1)I always take two (DH and myself) lengths of elastic for the balcony/lounge chairs which we use to keep the towels in place.

2) This also keeps the second thing a blow up cushion in place while you sit down, yes I like my comforts but hey it's my holiday too.

Also bring a dental kit used it two years ago when a cap felt loose.

Cough drop a bag that coast about $1.49 on shore, will coast about $8.00 on the ship. Ear drops.

What I due instead of making copies of documents Scrand all your informations either on your phone or a camera disk.

How to keep your necklass from getting in knots when you travel I put them thru a straw

Also bring a dental kit used it two years ago when a cap felt loose.

Cough drop a bag that coast about $1.49 on shore, will coast about $8.00 on the ship. Ear drops.

What I due instead of making copies of documents Scrand all your informations either on your phone or a camera disk.

How to keep your necklass from getting in knots when you travel I put them thru a straw

Love the necklace through a straw! What a great idea - I've never heard of that before!