TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

I like to bring a couple of battery-operated tea lights to use instead of a night light.

Absolutely! Though I feel bad about the sticky stuff that remains for the cleaning crew to scrape off when I leave.

And yes, magnets, especially the kind with clips on them to post notices. The advantage of steel doors!

• 1 month later...

1. Bring a mini flashlight if you are in an inside cabin. Zero light and if you get up earlier than anyone else or need to go to the bathroom, it's a great "night light"

2. Extension cords. There is one plug in most cabins and if you have to charge cameras, cell phones, ipods, etc - you'll have trouble.

3. Highlighter - use it to highlight the things on your agenda for the day. That way they're easier to spot.

4. Steamer or Steam Iron - forget it. They will take it and you won't see it until the last night of the cruise. There's a laundry facility on each floor with an ironing board available. Pack your things in tissue paper if they wrinkle or plan on finding the laundry room.

5. Backpack. Perfect for shore excursions. This allows you to keep both hands free and not get bogged down.

6. Pepto, aspirin and Tums. All that eating...

7. Less clothes than you think. You won't wear 15 outfits. I promise.

8. No formal clothes. This is getting passe'. Just bring something "nice". Don't waste the space in your suitcase with a tux or a long dress. That way you can buy more souvenirs!

9. Kindle, Nook or a book. You will definitely want something to read if you will be out at sea. There's only so many trivia and bingo games you can play. And once you figure out the only place that doesn't fly the American Flag at half-mast during national holidays or other times (the moon) - what's left to do but read?

10. Good walking shoes. Trust me - those heels might be cute but after 16 trips from one end of the ship to the other - you will be happy you listened to me.

One more thing - consider buying a big box of Puffs or Kleenex - with lotion to bring along to use as toilet paper toward the end of the cruise. You'll eat more than normal and they don't use the highest grade of toilet paper. Your tushie will thank you. :)

Have a good cruise!

At the suggestion of someone else here on Cruise Critic, I bought one of those clear over the door shoe hangers. I hung it on the bathroom door and was able to keep the bathroom neat and orderly. I'll never cruise without it again!!

Speaking of clothes, does anyone bring something to launder clothes with? I was at the store and saw a box of laundry "sheets" for like $8 for 24 (obviously too many) or a small bottle of purex for $1.99 on sale. The problem with the purex was that it was much heavier. (I am concerned about suitcase weight) Has anyone seen other products?

I bring a ziploc baggie of Oxiclean powder to hand wash items and soak stains (have 2 small boys = lots o stains). The oxiclean is great for soaking stinky stuff too...flip flops that have been in saltwater...

I've often wondered if customs is going to bust me for smuggling the white powder across the borders, but so far so good!

This might sound wierd...but no matter where i go, and especially on cruises, and airplanes, i always take a little travel container( about the size of a eyeshadow pot of makeup).. and put Vicks Vapo Rub ( the solid kind)in it. Because of the fluctuation of airtemperatures, i always end up with a stuffy nose or congestion, and nothing clears it like Vicks. It also helps to sleep too!!

Meds are so important!!especially for upset stomach .. if you have any antibiotics... i know they say its not good to take them alot, but Trust me...when your on a cruise,, and you happen to get an upset stomach, and you know it is gonna take more than tums or pepto bismol (which they don't sell on some of cruise ships gift shops) especially when you eat or even drink coffee and it just keeps comming up. its either go to the ship doctor and have them charge you $300 and up( gotta pay doctors visit and doctors fee and medical supplies then medicine) ..cuz you will pay it up front, and then when you get home, file the claim , wait 4 weeks , you can hopefully get reimbursed for it by your travel insurance.. if you purchased it....personal experience.:rolleyes:

After having a dental crown fall off during a vacation and fortunately was able to get to a dentist for a reapplication, that dentist told me to carry a small tube of Fixodent when traveling which works well for a shorterm reapplication of a crown or bridge.

Binoculars if you have a balcony

I usually bring a small rope and clothes pins to secure the bathing suits outside. They never dry in the bathroom.

Laynard from previous cruise, hey...save a few bucks.

Your own beach towel...you will be surprised how hard it is to find your chairs on the beach when EVERYONE has the same towel.

Depending on the beach...water shoes. Hot sand and Coral is a killer.

• 8 months later...

5042810163.jpgblogger-image--1285461728.jpg

I bring along a mini-pharmacy... remember you can't just go to the pharmacy for meds when you are out in the middle of the ocean. I was caught in that situation on one of my first cruises. I don't feel like paying $10.00 for 6 ibuprofen again. All of my meds fit into one toiletry bag. These little bags help. Eliminating excess packaging saves tons of space. I cut out the directions and ingredients from the box and put them inside each bag with the pills. Labels from prescriptions also fit nicely on the outside of each little bag. I buy my bags at CVS. http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Disposable-Medical-Bags?skuId=407149

This is also gives great ideas for space saving meds. http://www.tamiasoutside.com/2011/07/16/firstaid/

Edited by mohavemommy

OK, we're down to a few weeks before our first-ever cruise (2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 7), and we're starting to think about packing. So my question - what are the things that first-time cruisers would never think to bring, and that I'll be kicking myself about all week? Not the obvious - wine opener, passport, etc. - looking for stuff I'd NEVER think of.

Thanks in advance - and I will compile a Top 10 list and post it (based on my own assessment, of course...) if I get enough responses (and then we can argue about my rankings).

Shouldn't this be how newbies overpack for their first cruise?

Michael

"Birth control.

We have 3 cruise souvenirs at our house ages 19, 17 an 17"

Just a quick update, they are now 22, 20 and 20...all in college..1 accepted to Med school ...another planning to go to Med school.

Probably the most expensive cruises in history....that just keep on giving

Be safe out there

5042810163.jpgblogger-image--1285461728.jpg

I bring along a mini-pharmacy... remember you can't just go to the pharmacy for meds when you are out in the middle of the ocean. I was caught in that situation on one of my first cruises. I don't feel like paying $10.00 for 6 ibuprofen again. All of my meds fit into one toiletry bag. These little bags help. Eliminating excess packaging saves tons of space. I cut out the directions and ingredients from the box and put them inside each bag with the pills. Labels from prescriptions also fit nicely on the outside of each little bag. I buy my bags at CVS. http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Disposable-Medical-Bags?skuId=407149

This is also gives great ideas for space saving meds. http://www.tamiasoutside.com/2011/07/16/firstaid/

Brilliant! I have always tried to get OTC meds in blister packs. I always travel with a zippered pouch where I keep bandaids, small individual sized antibiotic packets, a tiny sewing kit, ibuprofen, tylenol, anti-diarrhea medication, anti-acid medication, antihistamine, motion sickness medication, and decongestant. It is amazing how often I use this stash on trips with the family. When traveling to Europe, I bring small bottles of frequently used medicine to supplement my emergency kit. I am going to buy some of your little bags for other items.

I have heard that it is very important to have your OTC medications marked when going through security and customs. That is why it is a good idea to cut out the drug information and dosage. You don't want to have just a bag of pills on you. According to the US State Department, you need to keep prescription medication in the original container.

When we went on the cruise to Europe, we ran out of Sudafed because the entire family caught the sniffles from someone on the plane. I took the empty Sudafed box with me to a pharmacy in France. The pharmacist was easily able to locate the correct medication and was able to point out that the French version was twice as potent as the American Sudafed.

Edited by NCruiser2012

My 1st cruise in Carribbean.. hair got all wiry, frizzy, and I hadnt brought Conditioner. None in ship's gift shop, and I couldn't find ANY when on shore... so I always bring Conditioner. Even if the gift shop on the ship stocks something, then A) it will be really expensive; and b) the ship's store is NOT open when you are in port, so not too convenient.

Other essentials:

- Stomach medicine/rolaids/Pepto

- Aspirin/Ibuprofen

- Allergy tablets / eye drops for red eye

- Small roll Electrical tape (to repair luggage rips, all kinds of things)

- Small flashlight (in case power goes out on ship-- it happens!!)

- Some kind of air freshener spray or solid for bathroom

- Health insurance info, in case you need it

- Xerox copies of your passports, kept in separate case

- More than one camera card for my Digital camera (in case camera is stolen, I take photos on more than one disk, and only bring one on any shore excursion)

- 1 or 2 plastic coated hangers-- so I can handwash something and hang it up (closet hangers on ship usually cannot be removed from rod)

- Plastic, waterproof "neck case" to hold Ship I.D., money, credit card, etc. when in ports (you can go swimming & not worry about your things being stolen while you are in the water).

:o

Just got back from the Dawn. There was only one outlet in the cabin so bring an extension cord if you plan on charging your phone etc. We had phones and laptops to charge.

There is a second outlet that we discovered on the last night of our Dawn cruise - Just need to unplug the coffee maker.

My first cruise about 25 yrs ago I had packed and then realized I needed a slightly larger suit case so I re-packed. However, I forgot to take my bathing suits out of a zip compartment. Back then they didnt have nice little surf type shops on board. Enjoyed the cruise but felt really dumb. Dont ever assume you have something packed. I pack the OTC items ( meds, lotions, etc) but dont stress over them. yes they are expensive but you can get them.