TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

I am new to cruising. Will be taking a 1 day cruise to Nowhere on the Norwegian Gem 11/15/13 then going aboard the Princess Jade to Grand Cayman and Cozumel May 26. I am a sleep apnea patient and use a CPAP machine. Does anyone know if there are plugs right beside the bed on most cruises? Also are there hairdryers in the rooms? And is it true the showers are so small you can't bend over?

On the Gem there was one plug in the room and not by the bed...I would take an extension cord. There is a hairdryer in the room. Shower was not big, but I have been in smaller ones. I think I could still bend over.

sent from my Samsung galaxy s3

I've read all of this thread and have found it very helpful. One thing I've never seen mentioned is a Styptic pencil for shaving cuts. I always keep one in my make-up bag and have needed it many times. Loaned it to my son-in-law too, so he could take the toilet paper off his chin!

Start by going through your luggage & leaving 1/3 of the stuff you packed home. People always overpack, and then you will always come home with more stuff than you came with! Especially tee shirts!

Pack a big collapsible duffle bag in your luggage for all your new goodies or pack a smaller suitcase inside a bigger one. The rolling bags they sell on board are overpriced & are REALLY cheaply made.

If you should bring home liquor or bottles pack them in between your laundry in the suitcase. Plenty of cushioning!

Happy cruising!

Edited by Pack My Bags

Bubbles!!! So your kids (and yourselves) can enjoy blowing them off your balcony or off one of the decks at the sail-aways. My cruising friend and I are retired elementary teachers and we enjoy blowing bubbles, since we can't throw confetti off the ship any more.

Awesome idea!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...

I bring a surge protector for our iPods & camera charger, but also because it has space on it for a Glade plug in or the gel ones!!

I plugged it in (the unit swivels so the oil won't drop out) & in the evening when they come to turn down the bed she asked.. "Oh this room smells so nice!" Even other room stewards passing the halls could get a whiff! It's a nice touch.

Edited by Pack My Bags

• 2 weeks later...

Dryer sheets for static control. Rub one over the full length of your socks to keep pant legs from clinging. Rub one over the seat of your pants if you're sliding in and out of upholstered chairs. Obviously more pertinent for cool weather cruises like mine coming up next week. Use caution with black fabrics.

I would recommend looking at your passport expiration date before you get to the airport and/or the ship.

Some countries do not allow someone to be admitted if their passport expires during their visit or even within 6 months of the visit.

Happy cruising all!! :D

I would recommend looking at your passport expiration date before you get to the airport and/or the ship.

Some countries do not allow someone to be admitted if their passport expires during their visit or even within 6 months of the visit.

Happy cruising all!! :D

On any of my cruises the only person I ever showed my passport to was when I signed in for the cruise and when I returned and went through customs here in the US. I'm not sure what the US rules are

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

Start by going through your luggage & leaving 1/3 of the stuff you packed home. People always overpack, and then you will always come home with more stuff than you came with! Especially tee shirts!

Pack a big collapsible duffle bag in your luggage for all your new goodies or pack a smaller suitcase inside a bigger one. The rolling bags they sell on board are overpriced & are REALLY cheaply made.

If you should bring home liquor or bottles pack them in between your laundry in the suitcase. Plenty of cushioning!

Happy cruising!

Oh my gosh - SO TRUE. I can't remember how many cruises I've been on and yet, every one of them I overpack. However, I usually cruise on ships that have laundries and formal nights. So I am looking forward to a scaled down dress affair with Norwegian. The no laundry thing gives me pause, but I do know laundry service is available.

I do think that if people pack half of what is suggested on this thread, they would need a lot of luggage. So, pick and choose as to your own needs.

And the extra duffle, or tote is a good idea to carry off purchases from the ship. There have been occassions where things go missing from luggage that was taken away the night before.

They don't advertise it a lot, but check your cruise compass for "Self-Assist" disembarking.

As long as you: do not exceed your alcohol allotment, can carry all your own stuff you are off you can participate. Best is you don't have to be corralled like cattle in the theatre waiting to get off the ship. You get off the ship first, you don't have to put your stuff out the night before & it's FREE!

"Birth control.

We have 3 cruise souvenirs at our house ages 19, 17 an 17"

Just a quick update, they are now 22, 20 and 20...all in college..1 accepted to Med school ...another planning to go to Med school.

Probably the most expensive cruises in history....that just keep on giving

Be safe out there

We have one of those souvenir, too, he is now a 6'6" 32 year old.

A comb, did it once. So annoying... Most of the stuff you can buy it is just really inconvenient to go hunt them down.

Never forgotten the birth control, but that would be a really bad thing to forget. Only did it on purpose once and got twins so I never did that again. We must have been drinking the same water Zimomiller.

1. Bungee cord to hold the balcony door open as I've learned they don't stay open on their own.
  2. Wheelchair repair kit: screwdriver, duct tape, extra cup holder (my 82 yo mom is my usual travel companion). And it has come in handy on more than one location.
  3. Instead of bringing a whole roll of duct tape I wrap a good amt around a pencil. Lighter and more compact.
  4. Photocopies of passports/credit cards/travel documents for all travelers. (And I leave a copy w/someone at home)
  5. International phone using Verizon's Global Travel Program: http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/global/globaltravelprogram.html

Workout clothing.... YEAH, OK??!?!!!!

I'm on vacation!

Brought it so many times & never use it. No need for treadmills! ALWAYS TAKE THE STAIRS!!!

I agree I take the stairs and do daily walks(strolls) around the ship, 2x around the GEM was a mile. Check your ship, they probably have it posted. I strolled before lunch and then before dinner, so just walk and enjoy the view.

Edited by qosmo8

OK, we're down to a few weeks before our first-ever cruise (2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 7), and we're starting to think about packing. So my question - what are the things that first-time cruisers would never think to bring, and that I'll be kicking myself about all week? Not the obvious - wine opener, passport, etc. - looking for stuff I'd NEVER think of.

Thanks in advance - and I will compile a Top 10 list and post it (based on my own assessment, of course...) if I get enough responses (and then we can argue about my rankings).

Ready for the list...I need all the help I can get

Ok, i brought a power strip to plug in the wall, and plugged stuff in that. You only get a couple outlets. Also don't bring hair dryer, they provide one, sometimes not the best, but uses different outlet. I also brought some of those metal hooks to go over doors. Battery alarm clock. That's all i can think of right now.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Depending on your stops (Belize is one) you should take malaria pills before going. Not all destinations will you need them but it is one pill the week before going and will protect you from contracting malaria. You cannot even give blood for over a year if you have been to certain ports and did not take a malaria pill before going.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a difference between a power strip, surge protector, or just a plug with extra outlets? What do I need to be able to plug in phone chargers, Kindle etc. and possibly an extension cord?

Simple question from an "electronically challenged newbie?"

I found only one outlet by the desk, so i plugged a surge protector power strip, then plugged all my stuff in that. Nook, phone, flat iron. If you want to have your phone next to you while you sleep and charge it, sure an extension cord would work. I also turned my data off on my phone, so since it wasn't looking for service, my phone didn't die as fast either.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, yeah you!! WEAR SUNSCREEN!!!! Sooooo many people are usually red lobsters on the FIRST DAY of their cruise from being on deck & are miserable the rest of the cruise!!!

I recall a cruise director telling us "Be sure to wear lots of sunscreen in Turks & Caicos, it's nuclear there...About 3 doors down from H*LL!!!" He was right!!!!