TOP 10 THINGS newbies forget to bring on their 1st Cruise...

cxxviii

OK, we're down to a few weeks before our first-ever cruise (2 adults, 2 kids 10 and 7), and we're starting to think about packing. So my question - what are the things that first-time cruisers would never think to bring, and that I'll be kicking myself about all week? Not the obvious - wine opener, passport, etc. - looking for stuff I'd NEVER think of.

Thanks in advance - and I will compile a Top 10 list and post it (based on my own assessment, of course...) if I get enough responses (and then we can argue about my rankings).

With kids that age..bring scissors!

Lots of "themed" nights at the Splash Academy and the kids are given TShirt to decorate and design. I had a pair of scissors with me (to cut tags from new clothes) and designed a pretty awesome pirate shirt! Also bring a white tank or cami for under the size XL adult shirt they give the kids!

Not sure if it was already mentioned but the best tip I got off of these boards was to buy an over the door see through shoe holder. Since the bathrooms don't have much if any counter space this worked great and held all our toiletries on the inside of the bathroom door.

Cherie

• 1 month later...

Not sure if this has been mentioned:

If you're a sports fan - bring an extra t-shirt of your favorite team to leave at a beach bar. I went to St. Kitts one year and at one of the beaches (Reggae Beach), their bar is decorated with sports-themed t-shirts. Because I happened to be wearing my 2010 Giants World Series shirt, I left it there.

I always bring a highlighter/text marker that I use on the Freestyle Daily. Every morning I highlight what we might be interested in doing, some times there are several things at the same time but I still find it easier to "choose" what to do/see/participate in when I have given myself just a few "choices" instead of trying to remember "everything" that is listed in the FD. Before I started using the highlighter a couple of years ago, we often missed shows and other entertainment but not any more..... :p

On one cruise I had made the decision to leave my hubby's dress shirts hanging in the closet until last minute to help avoid wrinkles. I had packed everything else. And you've probably guessed it, yes, I forgot all of his dress shirts. This was years ago and on a more traditional cruise line...we ended up having to purchase him a couple of shirts at the first port.

I bring those towel holder clips (flamingos, etc) from Bed/Bath stores and have received many compliments on their usefulness.

Useful for holding towels on pool chairs and balcony lounges, wet bathing suits on balcony chairs, hanging your coverup and beachbag on, etc.

I'm always a bit paranoid that someone will steal them when we leave our chairs for a short time, but so far, so good.

Over the counter meds. Don't assume that because you can buy it home you can buy it in Miami or other ports. I made that mistake with muscle relaxers for my back one year. It was feeling a little wonky when we were packing to go and I thought I'll pick them up in Miami. Nope. Not without a prescription.

I bring those towel holder clips (flamingos, etc) from Bed/Bath stores and have received many compliments on their usefulness.

Useful for holding towels on pool chairs and balcony lounges, wet bathing suits on balcony chairs, hanging your coverup and beachbag on, etc.

I'm always a bit paranoid that someone will steal them when we leave our chairs for a short time, but so far, so good.

I use good old fashioned clothespins for the same thing!

Something else I always bring.....every since a specific cruise line went 'dark' for a while - a small flashlight!

Also, if traveling on the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway or Escape I bring an old hotel room card for the key card slot to keep lights on so I can charge my electronics.

Harriet

Edited by hpecorari

• 1 month later...
Don't bring an iron. It's a safety hazard.

Do bring Post-Its.

Most important.... bring your tickets,documents,passports.

Suggest that you leave a photocopy of passports with someone at home in case you need it faxed to an embassy, and I always have two photocopies of each one with me -- once packed in the suitcase and the other in a different place. Perhaps a little over the top, but better safe than sorry in the event something is lost. I do this for all non-US travel, not just cruises.

Also, if traveling on the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway or Escape I bring an old hotel room card for the key card slot to keep lights on so I can charge my electronics.

Harriet

Onboard Epic last TA they had an extra, blank, keycard in the slot. I thought it was forgotten by housekeeping but they stated not.

It did dissapear mid cruise though haha, got an extra blank directly from Guest Services when asked for.

Still curious if it was a new standard, it even had a little triangle cut into it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
An alarm Clock!! OMG- thank you for the reminder! Nothing worse than waking up in an inside state room with no clock! I don't know if I laid down for a nap or it's the middle of the night!

I'm not an inside cabin person but have read on here that if you set the TV station to the ships camera, the sunrise will help wake you...

My apologies if these have been mentioned prior...

My fiance swears by Scopolamine patches. Poor guy gets motion sickness on the lake.

I swear by "Poo-purri" :) It's an all natural oil you spritz before "you go" I'm not advertising, I just think it's helpful. Beats air freshener!

Would someone please tell me (definitely) whether or not a hair straightening iron is allowed (travel size or not)? I always see "no irons" which I assume means clothing irons. But, I've seen some say no hair irons either.

Thanks everyone!!!

I have always brought a hair iron,,,,never had an issue with anyone telling me I can't have it (room steward or ship luggage scanners)....did get caught with a small travel iron once, but the steward just asked me politely to put away and not use it which I did. Also, I agree...found when traveling with friends that poopurri is great!

Edited by bostonredsoxfans

Onboard Epic last TA they had an extra, blank, keycard in the slot. I thought it was forgotten by housekeeping but they stated not.

It did dissapear mid cruise though haha, got an extra blank directly from Guest Services when asked for.

Still curious if it was a new standard, it even had a little triangle cut into it.

Only been on RCI and never had this, going on NCL in October,,,,what is this "keycard" thing?

• 1 month later...