What are Star mattresses like?

Debbie42467

Hello,

I was on the Golden in Aug. 09. Four months after her drydock. Apparently they did not replace the mattresses. They were extremely lumpy and hard. I asked my steward for a foam topper. He said that they were out of them, but was able to find one the next day.

Next month I will be on the Star (sister ship to the Golden). What are her mattresses like?

Photos: Princess Golden Mattress

mattress2.jpg

mattress1.jpg

Thank you,

Debbie

Hello,

I was on the Golden in Aug. 09. Four months after her drydock. Apparently they did not replace the mattresses. They were extremely lumpy and hard. I asked my steward for a foam topper. He said that they were out of them, but was able to find one the next day.

Next month I will be on the Star (sister ship to the Golden). What are her mattresses like?

Di

Photos: Princess Golden Mattress

mattress2.jpg

mattress1.jpg

Thank you,

Debbie

Debbie,

I was also on the Golden in Sept ,09 and I must have had the same beds as you!!!....as I also took pics of them, as they were the WORST mattresses I have ever cruised on.

I was also on the Star in Spring of '09 and the mattresses were fine.

• 11 months later...
Even when the mattresses were new, our bed still had the wavy look in that picture, from the duvet!

Our beds did not have duvets. We had bedspreads. You can notice in my photos that I pulled back the bedspread before taking the photos. Hopefully they changed the mattresses by now.

Happy Sailing,

Debbie

We were last on the Star in '09, and that is the first time we have had to sleep on a slab of concrete. The beds before were great, but the cabin steward told us they had just been changed that week. We had mini suites, and my aunt and uncle next door said their bed was great. It seems they are different in different rooms because there is NO WAY anyone could say that bed was great! We have not had a bad experience since, so I would say it is a matter of luck. Good luck to you!!!:D

The thread title had us wondering if the OP was referring to TV or Hollywood...

That said and FYI we are just home from the Golden and we must say that the bed was the best we have ever encountered on Princess and we have slepted on some nightmares. The mattress appeared to be fairly new and was firm as desired and most comfortable. The mattress on the Star, Spring 2010 was fine but not as good.

Our beds did not have duvets. We had bedspreads. You can notice in my photos that I pulled back the bedspread before taking the photos. Hopefully they changed the mattresses by now.

Happy Sailing,

Debbie

Is that a hair I see on your duvet? LOL. I know your post is a year old. We will be on the Star Wednesday; boarding in Santiago. Will let you know about the mattresses and anything else you really don't want to know. ;)

My friends are on the Star right now. I've been getting some emails from them. They think the cruise is wonderful, but my one friend said he won't cruise again because he's in too much pain from the beds. They said they have a topper and an egg crate. As much as I love Princess, I suggested they think of trying another cruise line. I went on Celebrity last year and slept great. I'm trying Princess again this year. If I can't sleep, this may be my last Princess cruise. I know many people are fine with the mattresses, but for some of us they are just too hard.

My friends are on the Star right now. I've been getting some emails from them. They think the cruise is wonderful, but my one friend said he won't cruise again because he's in too much pain from the beds. They said they have a topper and an egg crate. As much as I love Princess, I suggested they think of trying another cruise line. I went on Celebrity last year and slept great. I'm trying Princess again this year. If I can't sleep, this may be my last Princess cruise. I know many people are fine with the mattresses, but for some of us they are just too hard.

There are so many threads on this board about the mattresses on Princess, but we pretty much said the same thing about the beds.

My husband and I said the same thing on our 14 cruise on the Grand. Fortunately, we were in a mini suite so we had a couch and he took the cushions off the couch and put them on the bed every night! Not an ideal situation, but it saved his back.

I don't think the beds being described as firm or wavy really depicts the true problems with their mattresses. It's hard to explain really. I have no problem with mattresses...spend half my work time in a different hotel two weeks a month. Having said that, I can report that I can understand the problem with them. I was laying across the bed sideways, reading the Princess Platter. The mattress was so uncomfortable that I could only lay that way for 10 minute before I had to get up off the bed. I'm in my 40's and this is highly unusual for me. But they are unusually lumpy and bumpy and I know why my husband had such a problem sleeping when I couldn't even lay sideways for more than 10 minutes!

Because he was not going to go through that again and we love Princess, we read about a solution others have found and it has become the way we continue to cruise on Princess.

We bought a 2 1/2" memory topper last cruise in FLL. It wasn't that heavy nor hard to transport. We just left it on the ship....trust me, if you think our beds are awful, you can imagine how happy the room stewards are to get your topper!

This cruise (16 day in Rio), we didn't know how difficult it might be to purchase a topper in the city. We won't have a car and we will be very busy with tours and Carnival. We followed the advice on this board and have purchased our 2 1/2 memory foam topper and hubby already put it in his ice hockey referee bag and it fit perfectly! It only weighs 30 lbs and we can put a lot more into it. It has wheels and he uses it for his hockey equipment.

We don't take our tuxes/gowns anymore and with the laudromat onboard, we have plenty of room. We may take it home with us....not sure. Our vacation is costing nearly $10k (3 nights in Rio, Carnival tickets, cruise/air, private tours, etc.), so another $125 on a memory foam topper is a no brainer for us. We may take it home simply because we cruise out of Singapore in October and it may be easier just to take it with us.

We'll never cruise again without having one of these. Those beds can destroy your back and potentially ruin an otherwise fabulous vacation. If your back goes out or you can't even bend over to pick something up, imagine what limitations you have on your activities during your vacation!

Thanks cruisecritic message board for some of the best advice EVER!!!!! We won't leave home without our Passports and our Memory Foam Mattress Topper--ha!

Dawn

Are the mattresses a problem on all the Princess Cruise ships? We are planning on a Crown Princess cruise in July. Does anyone know how the mattresses are on that ship? Mattresses are one of the few things I never even thought about, I just assumed that if you went with a good cruise line you would get a good mattress! :confused:

Me too. I sleep best on Princess ships' hard mattresses. I hope they didn't put soft ones in.
Same here. I have a horrible time on HAL's soft beds and on every HAL cruise, have wound up with a sciatica flare-up; very painful which affects my enjoyment of the cruise. For my upcoming HAL cruise, even though it's only seven days, I'm going to see if they have a bed board or something.

The beds on the Crown are hard, too. I've read a lot about bringing a topper along, but I travel alone so I'd need to pay for an extra piece of luggage plus the topper itself. I've read that some people take an air mattress and that may be doable. I'm not sure. I'll have to shop around. I haven't sailed on HAL in several years, so I don't know how soft their beds are. The bed on Celebrity wasn't soft, but it had decent support and was comforable. It was like a real mattress. The beds on Princess aren't even like real mattresses, IMO. They're more like what you'd find in a camper or something. Cheap. I love Princess, but hate those beds.

The beds on the Crown are hard, too. I've read a lot about bringing a topper along, but I travel alone so I'd need to pay for an extra piece of luggage plus the topper itself. I've read that some people take an air mattress and that may be doable. I'm not sure. I'll have to shop around. I haven't sailed on HAL in several years, so I don't know how soft their beds are. The bed on Celebrity wasn't soft, but it had decent support and was comforable. It was like a real mattress. The beds on Princess aren't even like real mattresses, IMO. They're more like what you'd find in a camper or something. Cheap. I love Princess, but hate those beds.

People describe the mattresses as "hard." If that was the only issue, then we'd be fine with it. We don't mind a hard mattress at all. In fact, we would prefer it to a soft mattress any day of the week.

They are hard to describe...they are lumpy and I don't even know if "hard" is a good description. Are they? They are too lumpy to know if they are hard or not--ha!

Archived