Western Carribean---Shore Excursions

Does anybody have any advice on what shore excursions to do or avoid in the Western Carribean. We are sailing on the Dream Aug. 21/2010. :o

So much depends upon what you want!!! DO you want an authentic contact with a foreign country, or a beach, baubles, and bar event where the authenticity is of no concern? Some of the ports exist SOLELY to collect tourist dollars, and little of it goes to the economy of the native population. Awareness of that dichotomy might help you in your selection. Whatever you do - have fun!!! THAT is the easy part!!!:D

Here's what we have planned for our Dream cruise next month - we are total beach bums so our plans reflect that.

Cozumel - private charter with Tucan Sailing Adventures - we've done this once before and it is an awesome day!

Roatan - try our first zip line at Clip and Zip right at the port. Then grab a cab and head to Bananarama on West Bay Beach.

Belize - taking our only Carnival sponsored tour - Barrier Reef Snorkel at Turneffe with beach time (hopefully Bannister). Nice thing about this tour is they pick you up right from the ship - no need to tender to shore. Last time here we did the cave tubing - great experience too.

Costa Maya - grab a cab to Mahahual and hang on the beach.

There is so much to do on the Western - look at the port boards, lots of ideas there.

BTW - We LOVED Orient Beach (Eastern) - beautiful water, nice people. Didn't make people watching our main attraction!

This is what we did on our recent Dream western. Cozumel-Paradise beach loved it! Roatan- hung out at the Mahogany bay beach . Had a great day! Belize- cave tubing .com. Great time. Costa maya beach break at pez quadro beach-too good of a time!! None of these were ship excursions.

If you go to st marten stay away from orient beach.

It is clothing optional and have seem too much of the wrong people if you know what i mean. Scary!

Such an incomplete description :( Orient Beach is divided into two beaches, yes, it is clothing optional if you go to the RIGHT. If you go to the left, it is beautiful, and family friendly. Occasionally, someone from the right side will stroll down, so be prepared, but the beach is wonderful.

That being said, I don't think St Maarten is included on any western itineraries, but I had to give more info. We got these kinds of comments when we went there the first time and alomst didn't go. It's one of the most beautiful beaches we've ever been on.

I agree about Orient Beach - it's GORGEOUS and I would not stay away from it - despite some of the 'sights'! As mentioned most of the beach is not considered to be a 'nude' beach and you can avoid that area if you want to! (and as mentioned that is an Eastern Carib. port!).

Both Roatan and Belize are beautiful islands and I would choose something where I could see/all of it! I would however recommend a ship's excursion in Belize only because the last time there (Nov. 08) we booked the Lamanai excursions thru belizecruiseexcursions.com and almost got left behind! (and there is quite a long tender ride from the port to the ship).

cozumel - great snorkelling and beaches - I usually hang out at Nachi cocum.

Roatan - there a couple of great independent tour guids (Victor Bodden and Rony Bennett) who will customize a tour for you (or visit their websites for more info).

Costa Maya - also a lovely little beach village....

Check out my Valor review in the link below as I recently did the Western Caribb and you can read about our 'tours' in more detail!

Cozumel - Nachi Cocom is a hidden gem. No more that 100 people $49.00 person through Island marketing. All inclusive food, drinks, pool, beach chairs, huts,everything. We go there everytime we are in Cozumel. reserve as it is becoming known and more people have trouble getting a reservation if you wait - lots of reviews on trip advisor with pictures

Roaton - pretty safe place - nice Carnival port there.

Belize - Dangerous - we don't even get off the boat here. Tender port with long waits. Very poor - We took a Carnival excursion to Mayan ruins here. Squalor and very poor away from the port. Alot of people guarding the banks with automatic weapons in full view. A truck of Army soldiers had to accompany us thorough the ruins as we were told the rebels from Guatemala a half a mile from the ruins rob the tourists and they were there to protect us. Not that they wouldn't but they all had AK-47's and we didn't really want to be in the middle of a gunfight. It is probably safe to get an excursion that leave from the port by boat to a beach or snorkeling. Other than that stay on the cruise ship and enjoy the empty pool and boat.

Costa Maya - They have a nice port area that Carnival built with a pool and beach. We found the other beach here mostly to be weedy and not too clean. Stay around the port it is the prettiest beach around and free.

Belize - Dangerous - we don't even get off the boat here. Tender port with long waits. Very poor - We took a Carnival excursion to Mayan ruins here. Squalor and very poor away from the port. Alot of people guarding the banks with automatic weapons in full view. A truck of Army soldiers had to accompany us thorough the ruins as we were told the rebels from Guatemala a half a mile from the ruins rob the tourists and they were there to protect us. Not that they wouldn't but they all had AK-47's and we didn't really want to be in the middle of a gunfight. It is probably safe to get an excursion that leave from the port by boat to a beach or snorkeling. Other than that stay on the cruise ship and enjoy the empty pool and boat.

Wow - what excursion did you take? I did Lamanai as mentioned (independent) and Altun Ha/River Wallace thru Carnival and never saw guards or guns or felt in any danger?? I would not walk out of the gated port area on my own tho and would only recommend taking a tour in Belize....

We are on the same itinerary in May. There will be 5 of us, including my 4-year-old and my mom (who has mobility issues).

In Cozumel, we plan on going out on our own for some shopping.

In Roatan, I booked a private tour with Rony Bennet. We'll take a look at the iguanas, monkeys, and school (I've been collecting some school supplies for the trip), and if there's time, visit the cameo factory.

In Belize, we're staying on board. I didn't see many excursions that my mom and my daughter would be able to go on, and since we have spa cabins, we're planning to take advantage of the extra spa perks. ;)

Costa Maya, we're not in port very long, so we'll either hang out at the port area with the pool, or take a cab over to Mahual. (We were in Costa Maya about 6 years ago, and hubby is still lamenting the fact that we didn't get massages on the beach. LOL!)

Have a great cruise and please report back with what you decided!

Archived