washing on board

I have sort of asked this before ,but maybe I should make it more general. I was recently talking to someone who had been 1/2 a world cruise on Arcadia. they were saying how bad the washing machine situation was on there, with fights and arguements, basically just down to the sheer lack of availability. I have read reports on here when people have commented on how bad it can get. How easy is it to get the use of a washing machine, I was thinking maybe just the once. Do I need to get up at 3am in the morning to do it?;)

Don't worry I don't think you will have to get up that early, they don't open until 8.00am.

I have never used the laundrettes but I believe there are far less on Arcadia than the rest of the fleet, as for arguments and fights, I wonder if they are slightly exaggerated, would someone really get so upset if someone removed their washing from a machine, or am I being naive.

I haven't heard of the launderettes having an "opening time". Arcadia has fewer than other ships I think & arguments, if any, tend to be over people taking washing out when it's finished as the owner had wandered off. We have never used them much if at all, but then we have only done one flycruise.

I haven't heard of the launderettes having an "opening time". Arcadia has fewer than other ships I think & arguments, if any, tend to be over people taking washing out when it's finished as the owner had wandered off. We have never used them much if at all, but then we have only done one flycruise.

Oh there are opening times - I believe it is 8.00am - 8.00pm although having never used them I am not sure of the times.

If you think about it they couldn't possibly let them operate 24/7 that wouldn't be very considerate to those in cabins in the vicinity of them.

Yes, I've seen people getting a bit ratty......returned to empty their machine, and someone's taken their load out, and dumped it on top because there's no free laundry basket. Someone holding a spare sock and demanding to know where the other one is. Someone arguing that they've had long enough with the iron.

Mainly pre-formal night....the one precious formal shirt!

Find the unpopular laundry (deck 9 on Ventura)

Go before breakfast. Don't linger over a 2nd cup of coffee.

Remove before going to cabin.

Always wash formal shirt straight away, to reduce formal night panic.

jocap.

Yes agree there are opening times , (would YOU like to be in the cabin next to or opposite the launderette if they opened 24/7 and washing machines and driers were working when you were trying to get to sleep? :rolleyes:

Yes, the launderettes on Arcadia are small, and smaller than other ships, I don't know why.... There are 3-4 washing machines in a small narrow room with tumble driers over the machines and ONE ironing board and iron. From memory there just 3 of these launderettes one on B deck and one on two other decks.... I have always thought Arcadia would struggle on a world cruise, and have said as much before. I did think they would fit more launderettes onboard during the refit, but they didn't. On sea days you will find them busier obviously than port days as everyone thinks the same. So try a port day if you are going off the ship late or coming back early ?

Having had a cabin opposite one of the launderettes last December I can say that for much of the time it seemed to be empty. I admit this was only a 13 night cruise so maybe people didn't need to do much washing though. Thank goodness they have limited times, though. I wouldn't have appreciated the noise at 3am!!

We have also occupied a cabin adjacent to the launderette on Arcadia (late booking). The only problem we found was people leaving the door open and conversing over the top of the machines. This at siesta time is rather annoying!

I have also removed peoples washing from a completed wash or dry. folding it nicely and leaving to one side. This has only ever received a thank you! As us girls know it is always easier to iron if you fold it straight from the dryer lol

Reading all these, I am glad I do not use the washing machines! I have used the irons occasionally and so been in the laundrette when "differences of opinion" have occurred!

I'm sure that the washing machines are limited to certain times but I think you can use the irons when you like. I always say I dont go on holiday to wash clothes! Having said that I suppose it must get difficult on a long voyage(most done is 17 nights). Mind you, I have witnessed the washing machines going on the 2nd day!

Yes it can get that bad. I removed washing from a machine that had finished and got tut tutted by two other ladies, telling me I shouldn't do it. I put the clothes into a basket and put my own washing on and left. Pathetic.

Yes it can get that bad. I removed washing from a machine that had finished and got tut tutted by two other ladies, telling me I shouldn't do it. I put the clothes into a basket and put my own washing on and left. Pathetic.

I would say that the unwritten rule must be if the Machine has finished then empty it.

Some clarification on the opening times....I think it's more of a guideline, it doesn't actually say open until.. then closed, but 14 hours a day is enough I think....I wonder if they actually physically close them? I doubt it somehow.

Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email.

There are self service launderettes on board. Free of charge. The launderettes contain washing machines, dryers and irons/ironing board. They can normally be used between the hours of 8am-10pm (subject to change).

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards

Kat Tupper

P&O Cruises

Administration Team

Carnival UK

. They can normally be used between the hours of 8am-10pm (subject to change).

I hope this information has helped to answer your enquiry and look forward to welcoming you on board soon.

Kind regards

Kat Tupper

P&O Cruises

Administration Team

Carnival UK

It says in the letter 8 -1opm and I agree the times seem about right, the room is locked at night.

thank you for all who have replied. I think I will attempt to use them once during our cruise,as I seriously cannot think of coming back off holiday 5 days before chrsitmas, with 3 weeks worth of clothes..if I wash I may get away with 2 weeks. I mix and match as much as possible, but .....

Although I said I've seen some arguing, I've never had any difficulty myself, on both Aurora or Ventura. They sell detergent in the shops, but I usually take a few tablets of my favourite brand. It cuts down on the luggage, too!

Jo.

Archived