1st Time Cruise Question - What time to be on ship?

CLTguy

Hello,

Heading out on my first cruise in a couple of weeks and trying to do some planning.

For those of you who are experts, what time do you need to be back on the ship after visiting a port? (i.e. do you have up until the 7pm departure time or do you need to be back 2 hours before departure?)

Conversely, if the itenerary says you arrive at 7am, what time can you expect to get off?

Many thanks for the insight!

You need to be back on no later than 30 minutes prior to sailing. It will be in the daily patter as well as signs posted at the gangway.

If you arrive at 7am you can normally get off within 30 minutes to an hour.

Enjoy your cruise!

Signs are posted on the gangway with the time you need to be back on board. It is usually 30 minutes before sailing, but check it.

As for getting off the ship, that will depend on how quickly the ship is cleared by local authorities. This usually takes 30 minutes or so.

Hello,

Heading out on my first cruise in a couple of weeks and trying to do some planning.

For those of you who are experts, what time do you need to be back on the ship after visiting a port? (i.e. do you have up until the 7pm departure time or do you need to be back 2 hours before departure?)

Conversely, if the itenerary says you arrive at 7am, what time can you expect to get off?

Many thanks for the insight!

Another thing to know is whether it's a docking port or a tender port. The tender ports are where your ship will be anchored away from the dock and the passengers are transported by tenders (may be the life boats or boats that size) to the pier.

For those ports, those on ship-sponsored excursions, those with elite status, and probably those in the highest category cabins will get first priority to get on the tenders. If you don't fall into one of those categories, then plan to wait an hour or so before you can get off the ship. In the Patters (the ship's newsletter), there should be info about where to wait to get a number...or else you can wait a little more and just be able to get on a tender then.

But in those ports, you should try to get into the line to get back on a tender at least an hour before sailaway. The line will start getting pretty long then.

Archived