Hotel for Cape Liberty

TorontoSailor

Hi. My friend and are considering a cruise out of Cape Liberty, NJ.

Could anyone suggest any good hotels to stay at that would be convenient for both the airport in Newark (we would be flying in from Toronto) and the cruise port. Another consideration for us would be proximity to a train that gets you into Manhattan.

I was looking at the boards for Bayonne and they are just so dense that I couldn't really figure it out.

If we could find a hotel that was convenient to the airport (ie has a shuttle) and that would also be handy for getting into Manhattan and is in a neighborhood that is not dodgy, that would be great.

Thanks for your help!

What date are you looking at? What's your budget? The hotels at Newark Airport are, well.... airport hotels. It is a highly urban area and not a vacation destination. With the exception of the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way, you will be a captive of your hotel with no nearby destinations on foot. However, it is possible to get to New York. What do you consider a "dodgy" neighborhood?

well.....if you stay near the airport there are several places...

click the link below to my blog...lots of info, then come back with questions...

you can hop a train into NYC from the Airport rail station, OR downtown newark...(you can take the shuttle back to the airport but the train costs more...there is a charge rolled into the ticket price for access to the airport monorail system to get to the station...translation "tax".:D

OR you can pay for a cab (10-15 bucks) to NEWARK Penn station (as opposed to NEW YORK Penn) and take the same train there...price total would probably be close....

www.njtransit.com

there is also a subway-like commuter train called PATH www.panynj.gov/path that goes from Newark Penn into NYC

to just have a place as a base, i like the courtyard, residence inn or country inn newark/elizabeth--they are all next to each other.

there are others as well...depends on budget and what you want.....

OR you could go to Jersey City (not far, but probably a 40-50 buck cab ride--cabs aren't cheap here) and you'd be right across the river from NYC with easy access to the PATH. There is a Courtyard, Westin (IIRC) and a Hyatt there as well....

thats a start.....look thru my blog and then pop back here with further questions....

happy hunting.

What date are you looking at? What's your budget? The hotels at Newark Airport are, well.... airport hotels. It is a highly urban area and not a vacation destination. With the exception of the hotels on Glimcher Realty Way, you will be a captive of your hotel with no nearby destinations on foot. However, it is possible to get to New York. What do you consider a "dodgy" neighborhood?

what do you think of this...we have the MODS lock the other cape lib board and we start anew????? I can send the email and restart if you wish

Thanks for this folks. I will check it out.

By dodgy, I mean somewhere that is not at all safe. I don't really care if it is kind of urban. What I do care about is that the hotel has an airport shuttle, that it would be easy to get into Manhattan from, and that it is clean and comfortable, thought it does not to be fancy.

Does that help.

And thank you also for that blog link. It looks quite interesting. I will check some of these out.

Anyone who has any experience staying at any of these?

Thanks all.

TS...yes I have stayed in all 3 of those....along with these:

Newark Airport Marriott (full service, basically AT the airport)

Springhill suites Newark

Courtyard Newark (there are 2 Courtyards...the SpringHill above and this are next to each other...along with a Fairfield Inn. All are marriott brands.)

I have been IN the Renaissance...

Many like the Sheraton. The Ramada/Ramada Plaza used to be the Holiday Inn. (2 buildings...when it was an HI it was one hotel, now it is 2. weird. And Ramadas around here tend to get icky!)

ALL of the ones listed here have shuttles....some are shared with sister hotels...

All are basic airport hotels. The 3 i listed in the other post are generally easier to get to (for those that are driving) and they are safe, opposite an outlet mall and there is a ruby tuesday (it's a mediocre one at that) and there will be an iHOP (int'l house of pancakes) there shortly.

The Marriott is fine as they have in house dining options. The Residence Inn and Country Inn have free breakfast (the RI's offerings are more substantial than the country inn.)

The Courtyard EWR/Elizabeth has been remodeled and has a new, more fast-food dining option....which i don't particularly care for....not that it's bad, it's just glorified fast food....as opposed to a sit down place.

(www.gocourtyard.com will show you )

none of these are in what i would call "dodgy". i've left my car parked in almost all of the above hotels and have stayed there alone, with mom and with friends.

again, it's an airport area...not pretty at all, but the hotels mentioned are safe. a car service and/or cab to the pier is about 40-50 US$.

Date is important to know so we can check some of the hotels. How much you want to pay is also important.

Let me give you an example. My primary recommendation for your criteria would be the Hilton in downtown Newark - it has an airport shuttle and is right next to Newark Penn Station where you can get a train to NY for $4 or Path to NY for $1.75. However, this hotel tends to be expensive, which is why the date is important.

You can definitely get a cheaper hotel at the airport, but you will most likely spend $15/pp each way to go to NY on the train. Bus can be cheaper, but sometimes the schedules aren't so good. The trip from any hotel at the airport to NY can be time consuming - at least an hour. I usually recommend that folks take a cab to Newark Penn Station and then the train to NY - similar amount of $$, but less hassle. The hotels on Glimcher Realty way are next to Jersey Gardens Mall and a Ruby Tuesday's, but further from Newark Penn Station.

So in order to give you good advice, it's important to know your dates, your budget, and your priorities among time, stress, and $$$.

Ah, yes. I understand. Thank you. I think we would be looking for May 1.

I was wondering about the Hilton Penn Station, as that was the one recommended by the cruiseline (Celebrity).

If it had a shuttle and easy access to Manhattan it might be good. Do you know what it is like and what the area it is in is like? Are there any restaurants or anything nearby.

I think an ideal price point would be anything under $150 or so.

We may need a place for May 9 as well.

I am also checking out some of these other options, too.

Thanks everyone. People on this board are great...so helpful.

Oh...and I take your point 138east. It might actually be cheaper in the long haul to spend a bit more on the hotel and be really close to the train to get into the city. That makes sense.

Do you know much about the Hilton or where it is located? I assume it is a safe neighbourhood, is it?

Thanks again.

It's in downtown newark... the area immediately around the hotel is safe and it is connected to the train station by skywalk.

(there are also a few shops and places to eat in the station, andadjacent to the hotel, in/near the skywalk though i am not sure about their hours after the regular work day.)

the hotel is also connected to some office buildings.

they do have an airport shuttle...you just want to make sure to get the one that says Penn Station and not Newark Airport..(it doesn't run QUITE as often as the other shuttles.)

I wouldnt stray too far outside the hotel on foot at night...BUT there is an area of Newark called the Ironbound district that has great portugese/spanish restaurants...almost any of them are great. One called Iberia is probably the most popular.

www.goironbound.com

you'd be able to get the PATH train or NJ Transit into NYC easily. The PATH can drop you at the World Trade Center site OR take you toward midtown at 33rd street...

the hilton has some decent rates..

for may 1 they have an advance purchase non refundable rate of 127 plus tax (about 15%--we have lots of taxes here!:eek:)

there is one called Penn to Penn that includes a RT train ticket for 154

a rate with breakfast for 159 (these are for 2 beds....other room types are more but not much)

IIRC it's about $7 one way into NYC so $14 RT. That makes the room $140 or so.

Those rates aren't bad considering you save on cab fare and have a lower rail fare...PLUS you save some time....

it's about 15-20 minutes on the train to NYC give or take, and depending on weather, crowds, equipment problems, construction...the usual.

all in all, i think that hotel would work well for you!

Bingo!!!! Newark Penn Station Hilton is showing at $150 including taxes for May 1. Kayak.com points to Hilton.com - That's an advance purchase rate.

You sound a little skittish. It's a very urban area. You do not want to wander around on foot at night. Stay in NY until the last possible moment - definitely eat in NY.

Thanks for this advice to both of you. This is looking like it will fit the bill for sure.

I am not too skittish. Live in a big city myself, although Toronto, like Manhattan is pretty safe at night. I am just not sure about Newark, as I have never been there. But as long as the train comes right near the hotel, I think that will be perfectly OK, by the sound of it.

One more question: I notice that some people on a recommendation site seem to like a place called the Best Western Robert Treat. Do either of you know anything about it? It seems a bit less convenient, as people mention a shuttle to Newark Penn...or a five-minute walk. Perhaps a five-minute walk may seem quite a bit longer later at night. LOL.

Some folks have stayed at the Robert Treat with good results. I haven't seen any negative reviews on this forum for the hotel. Read some reviews - area is dead on a Sunday morning. Shuttle may be unreliable. I'd say definitely a cab back to the hotel from Newark Penn Station late at night.

I'm not a big fan of Best Westerns....generally they fall into the category of WORST western around here...i only saw it from the outside and it isn't BAD, but i've never been inside....though as a rule, i skip BWs...

The shuttle doesn't seem to run as often....

not sure if you're a smoker or not, or if you're bothered by it..but the hilton is 100% smoke free, the BW is not.....

i'd still pick the hilton, even though the BW is cheaper....

one of these days i will stay there (the hilton) if i can get a deal, or if i go to an event at the arena nearby...

How does one get from a hotel near Newark Airport, let's say the Marriott in this instance, how do you get to the cruise terminal in Bayonne (Liberty). Is it a long cab ride?

about 15-30 minutes depending on traffic...i presume you are staying at the Full service marriott hotel?? You can get a cab or car service for about 40-50$$ (same price for cab or car.) Actually there is a transit company there at the marriott, signature transportation that would be able to help you.

i haven't used them, but they were very reasonable when i got quotes last year for a group (most of whom bailed!) and they tried to assist me last december with an accessible van.....(see Phil the bell captain-he can assist you as well!)

Thanks everyone for the fantastic input. I think the Hilton is going to be a good choice for us. Best of all worlds and within our budget. Appreciate the help.

you're welcome! enjoy!

(btw for some reason, the hilton website has been flaking out lately..so you may have to be persistant...or give them a call!)

Now that I have the hotel sorted, thanks to your help, any recommendations on a car service from the Hilton to the Cape Liberty port? How much will it run?

Also, for coming back post-cruise, do you recommend booking a car service in advance or just grabbing a cab at the pier? If I book in advance, any advice on what time to tell them and, perhaps most importantly, where you would meet them? Do they hold up a sign with your name or is there a dispatcher?

Thanks again. You guys are the best!

Try these:

www.blackexecutivecars.com (sometimes the website and/or email goes haywire!)

www.trulimo.com

or Signature Transportation which you can reach by calling the EWR Marriott hotel 973-623-0006. Also, the Hilton should have some ideas as well.....you'd probably want to speak with the concierge or, even better, the bell captain!

As for time...well it depends what color tags you have when getting off the ship...you could guesstimate a time, but then call them when you get into the terminal.

There are numbered spaces outside the tent, so you could say "hi mr limoguy, i am at #120....)

there is a taxi dispatcher....if you can avoid it, i would suggest doing so! trust me! generally they squash people into vans/mini buses or van cabs. It isn't bad, but they jam pack them.....

Any suggestions you would like to share with a wider audience?

Sure! :)

I see my DW has been using my computer as hers is out of action.:rolleyes:

We would recommend Secaucus NJ which has great bus access to NY. I think my DW is confusing Elizabeth with Newark. Either way, the amenities, hotels, restaurants in this area with the 320 bus to downtown New York, can't be beat. We always stay at the Embassy Suites in Secaucus as it is a perfect place with lots of shopping nearby and tons of restaurants within walking distance.

From this Hotel you literally walk out the front door, cross the street, get on a bus and you are in downtown USA. On your return, the buss drops you off about 50 feet from the front door of the hotel.

Archived