Laundry Prices- From HAL

tamrahs

It is NOT gentle. The clothes are washed in HOT water in commercial machines and are dryed in HOT commercial dryers.

I don't know where you get that idea from. When we did the'Behind the scenes' tour we were told that all the laundry is sorted by colour and they check the wash labels for recommended temperature etc. and wash accordingly. HAL takes very good care of passengers' laundry but it's a person's individual choice as to whether they send their clothes to the ship's laundry service or not. Personally I have no complaints, everything has always come back in pristine condition either pressed and on hangars or neatly folded in tissue in a basket.

Mumsy.

Laundry on HAL is amazing. We've always paid for full unlimited service. Next cruise we will be getting it "free" as 4 - star. Cannot wait. Going home with all laundry done is truly a vacation.

onboard, at the front desk. Warning: turn-around times were inconsistent, ranging from same-day to pushing the promised 48-hour limit. And bags were not necessarily returned in order -- I got one bag back same-day when a bag sent out two days before had not yet been returned. But the clothes were reasonably clean and did not have objectionable smells (e.g. from scented detergents).

Laundry on HAL is amazing. We've always paid for full unlimited service. Next cruise we will be getting it "free" as 4 - star. Cannot wait. Going home with all laundry done is truly a vacation.

We are staying in a Neptune Suite on the Amsterdam (first time) and I was told that the laundry service is included with that suite, including dry cleaning. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

We did a 14-day Caribbean in March on the Maasdam. It was our first experience with the laundry service (previously preferring to wash our clothes and then utilize the pressing package). I was amazed with the laundry service -- even unmentionables were well done (a previous fear of mine). Turn-around time was quick (usually less than 24 hours). My days in the self-service laundry are over -- from now on, it will be the total laundry package! We're eagerly anticipating crossing the 4-Star threshold (need 26 more days) to get it free. Still, the package cost is well worth it!

We are just back from the Nieuw Amsterdam Trans-Atlantic (April 30-May 15).

We have always used the launderettes, but this was our first trip on a larger ship without self-service laundry.

We purchased the unlimited laundry package for $109 for 12 days. We were on a 15-day cruise, but could not turn in laundry for the last two days, probably because of the 48-hour turn around time.

I marked each of the laundry lists with "Cold water wash and warm dry please."

We got our laundry back in perfect condition and often on the same day. Nothing had shrunken and everything was as fresh as I can manage at home.

After adding up what our costs would have been for regular laundry service ($240), we certainly were happy with the value.

We had absolutely no complaints and will never darken the door of a HAL launderette again.

We had absolutely no complaints and will never darken the door of a HAL launderette again.

Doing your own laundry just does not make sense.

You are on vacation. Vacations include getting away from laundry also.

Use the unlimited package. It's probably the best bargain at sea.

Diana and I were recently on a 21 day Collector cruise on the Eurodam. We signed up for Unlimited Laundry. In the past, we always paid $7 per day for this service for both of us. HAL raised their prices to $9 per day, so we paid $189 for the 21 days. They stop taking laundry 5 PM 2 days before the ship reaches its' final destination, but you can bring a lot of dirty laundry from your pre-cruise travels with you and they will clean it right away.

So, the rate is $9 per day as of May 2013. Sign up at the front desk. That is our first stop when boarding any HAL ship.

We are staying in a Neptune Suite on the Amsterdam (first time) and I was told that the laundry service is included with that suite, including dry cleaning. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

What you were told is correct.

• 1 year later...

Just cruised on Oosterdam in May 2014, laundry prices are $20 per bag or $49 for unlimited on a 7 day cruise. The laundry bags are a bit small, we are not big people and could only get about two days worth in a bag. We opted for unlimited since we boarded the ship with a week's worth of dirty clothes. To sign up I just checked a box on the order form. Some items came back on hangers, some folded in a basket, underwear was rumpled like a previous poster mentioned. White socks came back less bright. I was not brave enough to send delicate items. The problem is that they don't bring another laundry bag when laundry is picked up or clean laundry is returned, we had to ask for another bag each time.

I'm looking forward to the unlimited laundry package. We first used it when we cruised Alaska two years ago. The four of us first spent a week in an RV before the cruise so we had lots of dirty laundry. We simply asked the steward for extra laundry bags. He brought four or five bags and we loaded them up right away. He put more out every day.

This unlimited per cabin option is one of the reasons HAL edges Princess as our preferred line (just). We paid $250 for our 41 night cruise last Fall for a family of 4 (2 adults, 2 kids aged 8 and 6) - As you can imagine we had LOTS of laundry. Each morning we'd put out a bag and generally would get them back next day. Once or twice two days but pretty much everything was done by late afternoon the next day. Clean, pressed and on hangers.

Loved it.

Not sure whites were always washed with whites since my white t-shirts came back a bit off-white over time.

Not sure whites were always washed with whites since my white t-shirts came back a bit off-white over time.

I think this is a function of the new laundry system. There were a fair number of complaints about the dingy whites on our recent cruise.

I think this is a function of the new laundry system. There were a fair number of complaints about the dingy whites on our recent cruise.
HAL has been washing all 'small items' together for years - no matter the color. On the inaugural cruise of the E'dam we had an officer and a crew member from the laundry come to our cabin. The officer explained that all 'smalls' are put into mesh bags identified by cabin number. Sometimes a bag opens during the laundry process. If it is only one bag, no problem as all loose items belong to the same cabin. In our situation three bags had opened and we were the first cabin of the three contacted. While they had the item count for each cabin as to socks, undies, hankies... we had to identify which socks, undies, hankies... were ours. Trying to identify the pairs of men's dark socks that belonged to DH was interesting. :rolleyes: As there were darks and whites among the 'smalls' it was obvious that no sorting was done.

We intend doing the 7 day Norse Legends next year - MS Ryndam - is there unlimited laundry besides the coin operated ones?

All the ships offer the by the piece, by the bag, and unlimited laundry options.

Only the S- & R-class ships, and the Prinsendam offer self-service laundries, too.