Do I need to use the ship excursions, or can I do them myself

NBJ

:)We are going on Azura May 10th to, Malaga, Katakolon,Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice, Korcula, and Gibralta. Would any body who has been to these places advise me as to whether we can travel on our own, or do we need to pay the ships excursion prices. Thankyou.:confused: My last question was about parking at Southampton, thanks for all your suggestions, I have actually now booked the train for £28.00 return for the two of us, so we are thrilled with that result.:o

You will be able "to do your own thing" in all of these ports if you prefer. They are all easily accessible from the ship. The only one which could be a bit tricky is Dubrovnik and that will depend on where the ship will be docking on the day. The easiest of the lot are Venice and Katakolon - literally straight outside of the ship!

The ship excursions can be a bit expensive but they are a good way to bond and meet with other passengers. Also if its your first cruise, ship trips are a good idea as you don't have to worry about getting back late. And believe me i've seen a few people left behind........don't be one of them !!

Stitch x

:)We are going on Azura May 10th to, Malaga, Katakolon,Corfu, Dubrovnik, Venice, Korcula, and Gibralta. Would any body who has been to these places advise me as to whether we can travel on our own, or do we need to pay the ships excursion prices. Thankyou.:confused: .:o

Wow, that sounds a fantastic cruise. I did a Venice cruise in 08 on Arcadia, we also went to Dubrovnik, Corfu and Gibralter, photos here if you want to look:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/VeniceCruiseMay2008#5202919949434634258

Venice - We did out own thing, but did take up the offer of a unlimited trip water taxi-boat direct from the ship to the jetty by St Marks Square. Tickets went on sale 24-48 hrs before we arrived, (leaflet in cabin, pay at reception by the night before the arrival in Venice) I think it was about £8 each from memory. Then we strolled around Venice on our own enjoying the wonderful city.

Dubrovnik - Can highly recommend 'Dubrovnik by land and sea'£30pp, the coach takes you from the berth (it is quite a way from Dubrovnik so you would need a taxi or shuttle coach) To a nearby jetty where we boarded a schooner and sailed into dubrovnik old port, what a way to arrive. Then we did a guided walking tour for a hour seeing the 'best of Dubrovnik, and then a hours free time for shopping...we stayed on when the rest went back to the ship, and got the shuttle bus back later.

Cofu - Yes you can DIY this. We got the free shuttle bus from port to Corfu town.... Do have a look around the fort... in the town, there is a wonderful refreshment 'cafe' in there down some winding steps, with a view over the marina -heavenly. Lots of shopping, bars and beautiful sea views here. (see photos)

Gib - Easy to DIY walk from ship and into town to see the shops. But there is more to Gibralter than that.. We did the war tunnels, went on a cable car up to 'The Rock' and met the apes, and went in st michaels caves.. There is a really good trip pando do called 'secrets of the Rock' which covered all of this and we had a guide and a small group in a mini bus... really worth doing if you fancy seeing the best of Gibraltar and aren't that keen on shopping. £27pp.

Venice - We did out own thing, but did take up the offer of a unlimited trip water taxi-boat direct from the ship to the jetty by St Marks Square. Tickets went on sale 24-48 hrs before we arrived, (leaflet in cabin, pay at reception by the night before the arrival in Venice) I think it was about £8 each from memory. Then we strolled around Venice on our own enjoying the wonderful city.

£8 per person is pretty good - you'll pay 6.50eu per person each way on the vaporetto (water bus), so it's cheaper than using public transport. Apart from the usual tourist sights in San Marco, it's worth crossing Rialto Bridge (well signposted from San Marco), and a little further on you'll find the vegetable/flower/fish markets, which are delightful.

Mary

Dubrovnik - Can highly recommend 'Dubrovnik by land and sea'£30pp, the coach takes you from the berth (it is quite a way from Dubrovnik so you would need a taxi or shuttle coach) To a nearby jetty where we boarded a schooner and sailed into dubrovnik old port, what a way to arrive. Then we did a guided walking tour for a hour seeing the 'best of Dubrovnik, and then a hours free time for shopping...we stayed on when the rest went back to the ship, and got the shuttle bus back later.

Or walk the walls surrounding the city for the best views, then spend the rest of the time just wandering. It's a spectacular place.

Mary

£8 per person is pretty good - you'll pay 6.50eu per person each way on the vaporetto (water bus), so it's cheaper than using public transport. Apart from the usual tourist sights in San Marco, it's worth crossing Rialto Bridge (well signposted from San Marco), and a little further on you'll find the vegetable/flower/fish markets, which are delightful.

Mary

The single vaporetto fares are very expensive but you can buy unlimited travel for a fixed time which is more attractive. It is €13.60 for 12 hours or if you are staying overnight you can get 36 hours for €17.25.

http://www.veniceconnected.com/ecommerce/carrello.php?idcategoria=1

This allows unlimited travel on the vaporettos so you can visit the islands like Murano.

Brian

The single vaporetto fares are very expensive but you can buy unlimited travel for a fixed time which is more attractive. It is €13.60 for 12 hours or if you are staying overnight you can get 36 hours for €17.25.

http://www.veniceconnected.com/ecommerce/carrello.php?idcategoria=1

This allows unlimited travel on the vaporettos so you can visit the islands like Murano.

Brian

Indeed you can, and it would be worthwhile were one to use a Vaporetto from the ship (or as near as possible to where it berths) to the centre, then the number 1 or 2 to go the length of the Grand Canal, for example, another suggestion well worth doing. However, I imagine most people there for a day are likely to go into the City and wander, which is why I didn't suggest it - if that is the plan, P&O's £8 return is pretty good.

Personally, I wouldn't visit the islands if I had just a day/night in Venice.

Mary:)

:) Thankyou for all your interesting replies, you have given me lots to think about, and the photos were great. I will certainly be asking any other questions on here, you are all great with your speed in answering.:D

We are on the same cruise in the 10th May!

I think the only ship trip we will take is the Olympia one from Katakolon as apparently there isnt really anything to see in port.

Also thinking about Granada from Malaga but not sure yet. My Mum is in our party and needs a wheelchair so we have to research trips well to make sure she can negotiate them.

Archived