Great Stirrup Cay

KCTC

Is Great Stirrup Cay an island designated to NCL? I was looking at some itineraries, and when do the ships stop there?? Or am I missing something? What all is there to do?

GSC is a private island owned by NCL. We've been there twice and had a blast both times. I'm afraid I can't tell you even most of what there is to do. It's a big beach party and it's a blast. It's set up with lots of lounge chairs and umbrellas. (Still, if you're not in the group of early arrivals, you likely won't get one.) There are also lots of "lawn chair" type seats. You can rent a variety of water toys. We enjoyed a giant round raft. There's a straw market with typical island souvenirs, trinkets and tropical wear. Burgers and dogs to eat. Bartenders to keep you hydrated.

Is Great Stirrup Cay an island designated to NCL? I was looking at some itineraries, and when do the ships stop there?? Or am I missing something? What all is there to do?

GSC is leased to NCL. Compared to other private islands, there isn't very much to do. But if you just want to lounge in the Sun and swim, you'll love it. Don't know exactly what you mean about when do ships stop there. The SKY goes from Miami to the Bahamas 12 months a year, and each cruise is scheduled to stop there.

What to do? Beach, snorkel, volleyball, a band, lunch, bar service, parasailing, a tiny straw market, a slide. The slide is new, don't know anything about it, or even if it's completed yet.

GSC is leased to NCL. Compared to other private islands, there isn't very much to do. But if you just want to lounge in the Sun and swim, you'll love it. Don't know exactly what you mean about when do ships stop there. The SKY goes from Miami to the Bahamas 12 months a year, and each cruise is scheduled to stop there.

What to do? Beach, snorkel, volleyball, a band, lunch, bar service, parasailing, a tiny straw market, a slide. The slide is new, don't know anything about it, or even if it's completed yet.

GCS is owned by NCL. They were the first cruise line to own their own island...

Thanks for all the info everyone,

What I meant by when do ships stop there is, I looked on the Western and Eastern Carib itineraries and didn't see it on there. So just wondered if they stop even though it isn't on the itineraries?? Thanks.

Whether GSC is owned or leased by NCL is utterly immaterial to our purposes as guests. Either possibility is plausible. Perhaps it some sort of lawyer-created hybrid having to do with corporate "ownership" of land in the Bahamas...but then again, what do I know?

More significant is the fact that---as compared to other cruise lines--- NCL has lagged behind in the development of amenities for its guests. There are still things to do, but (a) there is no pier, so tendering is necessary; (b) the beach is rather small, especially after much of it washed away; © hiking trails, etc. are either closed or limited.

The tendering issue becomes significant when weather prevents people from getting to the island. This happened to the Pearl last week and is not infrequent. This was not a huge deal for us, but if someone REALLY wants to see GSC, it could be a problem.

Personally, I don't view these "private islands" as significant parts of any itinerary, but others see things differently.

Thanks for all the info everyone,

What I meant by when do ships stop there is, I looked on the Western and Eastern Carib itineraries and didn't see it on there. So just wondered if they stop even though it isn't on the itineraries?? Thanks.

No, they will stop only if it is on the itinerary. Were you looking at the Epic? GSC is not included in the itinerary for the Epic, I guess due to the size.

No, they will stop only if it is on the itinerary. Were you looking at the Epic? GSC is not included in the itinerary for the Epic, I guess due to the size.

Yes, I was looking at the Epic. I guess that is why I couldn't see it on the itinerary. Thanks for the info.

Not all eastern Caribbean NCL cruises do include the private island, but many do. We have only been there once, personally I loved it, but it isn't as nice as some cruiseline's private island. Being NCL was the first line to offer a private island, it is the oldest..

What is there to do: lots of walking and hiking, volley ball, snorkeling, relaxing, just the typical beach party atmosphere. It reminded me of the beach parties we used to have in So when I was just a kid.

Nita

Let's just put it to bed, eh? This is taken from Wikipedia - NCL own the island:

Great Stirrup Cay is a small island that is part of the Berry Islands in the Bahamas. Norwegian Cruise Line purchased the island from Belcher Oil Company in 1977 and developed it into a private island for their cruise ship passengers

Fine with me. Give me 5 minutes though, I can make Wikipedia say that the Germans sunk GSC during WWII.

:D

Fine with me. Give me 5 minutes though, I can make Wikipedia say that the Germans sunk GSC during WWII.

:D

I don't think it's as easy to post false info on wikipedia as it used to be so go ahead and do it and post your link here. We'll be waiting.

let's not knit pick: owned/leased, they were the first line to offer a private island.

Nita

Acutally from a business investment there is a big difference between owned or leased...and the amount of money that NCL or any company would invest in a piece of property that is leased or owened would have a direct impact on the passengers overall experience...Don't think that NCL's current CFO would not take something that significant into account when investing in this venture. His whole mission is to make the company as profitable as possible so they can take the company public...

Acutally from a business investment there is a big difference between owned or leased...and the amount of money that NCL or any company would invest in a piece of property that is leased or owened would have a direct impact on the passengers overall experience...Don't think that NCL's current CFO would not take something that significant into account when investing in this venture. His whole mission is to make the company as profitable as possible so they can take the company public...

this really isn't what I or anyone else was referring to, it was simply about the island and what it is like. A few of us mentioned NCL was the first line to offer a private island and then someone decided to correct a comment by saying he was told NCL didn't own it. My point had more to do with the island, not who does or does not own it.

Nita SMILE

this really isn't what I or anyone else was referring to, it was simply about the island and what it is like. A few of us mentioned NCL was the first line to offer a private island and then someone decided to correct a comment by saying he was told NCL didn't own it. My point had more to do with the island, not who does or does not own it.

Nita SMILE

thanks for the clarification and correction....

Archived