London first-timer!

I used http://www.bhrc.co.uk to get our hotel Thistle Westminster (Victoria area). The price was better than directly with the hotel. It was a great location minutes away from Buckingham Palace, Royal Mews, The Mall, HO/HO bus, regular bus, stores, pubs/restaurants, grocery store. Victoria Coach (bus) station and Victoria Train station were only a few blocks away.

We used http://www.justairports.com (private car service) to get from LHR to hotel. The cost of the car was 34 + 4 (parking fee at LHR) GBP. The price depends on the car size and distance. To get a quote put in the 1st 2 letters and the number from the hotel's postal code (our hotel's was SW1). The driver met us outside the baggage area.

Heathrow is a long way out of London. It took close to a hour to get to our hotel.

We did an all day tour of Windsor, Stonehege, Bath with http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk. They picked us at the hotel (get the hotel to confirm pickup) and took us on a bus to Victoria coach station where you get a bus for the tour. They dropped us back at Victoria Coach station and we walked back to our hotel or you can take a taxi/tube/bus to your hotel.

Other sites;

http://www.bhrc.co.uk

http://www.london-hotels.co.uk

http://www.justairports.com

http://www.simplyairports.co.uk

http://www.london-transfers.com

http://www.theoriginaltour.com

http://www.bigbustours.com

http://www.nationalexpress.com

http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk

We also had good luck with Priceline, when we stayed in London for one week In May/09. It was an NH hotel chain, near Earls Court, and Priceline accepted my lowball bid of $58US! Location was great for travel on the Picadilly line from Heathrow and for sightseeing.

Although we were in London before the start of the busy summer tourist season, we found it quite crowded, and decided to break up our week with a couple of out of town excursions - one to Hampton Court (easy to do on your own), and the other to Oxford and the Cotswalds with London Walks - highly recommend this tour.

The only time we used a taxi was at the end our stay, from the hotel to Victoria Station, to catch the train to Gatwick. The one week Oyster card was easy to use to get around London on the tube and buses.

Enjoy your trip!

Well, have spent the longest time reading ,researching and looking for a hotel in London. Have decided to stay central, as we only have a few days in London and want to make the best of it.

Prices appear on the high side, but if that what it takes it must be done. However. have read CC and gotten lots of good advise and direction, still have some issues. We are travellling mid July of 2011, pre Balitic cruise on Celebrity (did the Med. three years ago and just loved it). One hotel recommeded is the Thistle West Minister, but on checking several travel sites, seems no vacany for dates needed.

Any one with any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Liz

Well, have spent the longest time reading ,researching and looking for a hotel in London. Have decided to stay central, as we only have a few days in London and want to make the best of it.

Prices appear on the high side, but if that what it takes it must be done. However. have read CC and gotten lots of good advise and direction, still have some issues. We are travellling mid July of 2011, pre Balitic cruise on Celebrity (did the Med. three years ago and just loved it). One hotel recommeded is the Thistle West Minister, but on checking several travel sites, seems no vacany for dates needed.

Any one with any other suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Liz

We stayed at the Thistle Westminster this July and would recommend it and the area. I booked it through http://www.bhrco.co.uk. It was cheaper than booking directly with the hotel. Another site http://www.london-hotels.co.uk.

Some hotels do not have their prices out for July and August 2011. We are trying to price for Aug and some hotels have the price and some don't. You might want to wait and keep checking back.

phabric: When you booked the TW, how late did you wait to make the booking? We are planning to be in London in early June pre-cruise. I am also looking at the London Eye area as an option near the Waterloo Station. We were looking at apartment rentals but have given up on that idea. The hotels are more expensive but alot more flexible and closer to the tube stations. The TW would be great if we fly to Gatwick instead of Heathrow. I would prefer the day flight on Air Canada but the cost will be a factor for sure so Gatwick is of course a likely destination. I am not thinking of booking the hotel any earlier than March but am open to alternate advice. Wondering what you think.

I have checked both those web sites, and I thank you for your suggestion, however it shows not available for the dates we have entered. DH and I have spent lots of time on this and am extremely curious why so many hotels are not available mid July of 2011. Special event, ie wedding of a Royal or what do you think?? When it shows not available, could it be the rates are up yet??? Couple of the previous suggested hotels are showing N/A as well.

So... any more helpful hints?? Do you think it is too early to book for mid July of next year??

Would like to get this part of the planning done soon.

Any help, any one????

Cheers Liz

phabric: When you booked the TW, how late did you wait to make the booking? We are planning to be in London in early June pre-cruise. I am also looking at the London Eye area as an option near the Waterloo Station. We were looking at apartment rentals but have given up on that idea. The hotels are more expensive but alot more flexible and closer to the tube stations. The TW would be great if we fly to Gatwick instead of Heathrow. I would prefer the day flight on Air Canada but the cost will be a factor for sure so Gatwick is of course a likely destination. I am not thinking of booking the hotel any earlier than March but am open to alternate advice. Wondering what you think.

I am not sure when I booked as I like to plan and book early. I am presently working on British Isles Aug 2011. It would have been before the fall of 2009 for July 2010, most of my booking were booked by Dec 2009..

I went on Thistle Westminster hotel's website and they don't seem to have prices for summer 2011 yet. I would go under Find a hotel - Thistle Westmister - Contact Us and email them and ask when the prices for summer 2011 would be out. When the prices come out I would book (you don't have to take the advance booking where you are charged upfront) and if you see something else you can always cancel or if the price changes. I did that, I booked directly with the hotel and then saw a better price on http://www.bhrc.co.uk (I believe this site is like Priceline but they set the price?) so I cancelled and book with them.

For your information - most hotels do not have queen/king beds like in N. America. We have a queen at home so when I book I take twin beds to give us room.

Check out air prices on http://www.canadianaffair.ca. This is a charter to/from Canada/Britain only. We used them this year. They had their prices out earlier than the other airlines and were cheaper than Air Canada, BA and Air Transat. They use Air Transat or Thomas Cook planes and go to Heathrow and Gatwick.

We used http://www.justairports.com (private car service) from Heathrow to hotel for 34+4 (parking fee) GBP. Heathrow is a long way from London about 1 hour to Victoria area of London. To get a quote, put in hotel's postal code, (2 letters and a number) Thistle Westminster was SW1.

We were in London 2009 stayed at the Rubens at the Palace and 2010 stayed at Thistle Westminster. Thistle Westminster was cheaper and just across a street from the Rubens. If you cross the street you are at a brick wall of Buckingham Palace, a few yards to the Royal Mews and further down Buckingham Palace entrance and The Mall. What I liked about these two hotels, once you exited the hotel, you were RIGHT on Buckingham Palace Rd, different buses routes were within reach, HOHO bus close by, Victoria Coach station or train station was within walking distance(for us) or a taxi. There a lot of hotels, B&B in the area, it is up to you your price range. I would go back to the Thistle Westminster again.

We walked to London Eye, if you like to walk. I saved a little GBP getting tickets online.

Thanks for your input. DH did just email the hotel direct, he did phone their 1 800 number but the girl had no prices, and she suggested emailing them as well. We are a group of eight travelling for this cruise, but not every one is doing the pre cruise thing. One couple has booked the Sheraton, but I think we can do better. Not really sure about the priceline thing especailly if doing the first time for London.

I appreciate your help, will likely use the car serivce as you suggested. I have seen that you can buy many of the attraction tickets on line to save some $$.

So much to learn, to see and so little time.

Hope things work out for both of us.

Cheers

Liz

I have checked both those web sites, and I thank you for your suggestion, however it shows not available for the dates we have entered. DH and I have spent lots of time on this and am extremely curious why so many hotels are not available mid July of 2011. Special event, ie wedding of a Royal or what do you think?? When it shows not available, could it be the rates are up yet??? Couple of the previous suggested hotels are showing N/A as well.

So... any more helpful hints?? Do you think it is too early to book for mid July of next year??

Would like to get this part of the planning done soon.

Any help, any one????

Cheers Liz

I have looked for some hotels, car rentals, air prices for mid Aug 2011 and am too early for their prices. Some have their prices for early Aug and some for June, July only. I would just keep looking, you are still a long way to go.

I fly into Heathrow every few years to visit family up north. If I'm alone I take the tube to Victoria and stay at the Luna and Simone 6-7 blocks away. If I travel with my mother who is 79 we take the bus from Heathrow to Victoria, then taxi to the Luna Simone. They don't have an elevator but with my mother I ask for a room with only 1 flight of stairs and they always accomodate. I've been staying there for 10 yrs. Family run b&b, reasonable rate, bus a block away, tube station 2-3 blocks away.

Thanks for your input. DH did just email the hotel direct, he did phone their 1 800 number but the girl had no prices, and she suggested emailing them as well. We are a group of eight travelling for this cruise, but not every one is doing the pre cruise thing. One couple has booked the Sheraton, but I think we can do better. Not really sure about the priceline thing especailly if doing the first time for London.

I appreciate your help, will likely use the car serivce as you suggested. I have seen that you can buy many of the attraction tickets on line to save some $$.

So much to learn, to see and so little time.

Hope things work out for both of us.

Cheers

Liz

I would suggest going on the Hop On/Hop Off bus. You get the layout of London. Both companies go the same routes. The ticket is good for a 24 hour period and have 3 different routes. Last year, we took one route, switched buses took another route. The next day took the 3rd route to the Tower of London and then finished that route.

The London Eye, is worth the money. We took the ticket with the timed entrance and were able to get right on.

When there is a couple of people travelling together it is hard to please everyone, someone likes one thing, another likes something else. Sometimes there are hurt feelings when everyone doesn't agree. Sometimes, you have to go your own way and meet up later for dinner/drinks.

Check out different sites and see if you can buy online and save. That is what we did and all our attractions we paid for before we left and saved.

phabric: Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. I too like the car service idea. There will be 4 of us so the cost seems very competitive with the express trains and the Tube plus of course being delivered to the hotel door. The Canadian Affair does interest me. My only concern will be the health of Air Transat, but those choices will not occur until Feb or March. Thanks again.

Re the London Eye: Some love it and some like me think it is not good value for money. My BIL and SIL MUST take a flight every trip to London while I and my wife went once and have no desire to go again.

After the flight, I would have been just as satisfied with using Google Earth.:p I much prefer ground time to actually see the inside of places anyway. That said, it is certainly an experience and if it is of interest, by all means go.

Cheers

Phabric, Thanks for some information. The Rubens looks good, much better in price than the Sheraton. No word from West Minister as of yet. Which one did you like better.?? I see that they are across the street from one another. Looks handy for bus and tube travel. I know we won't get to see all we want but will try hard. Like to just enjoy the surroundings as well.

Well, next on the list is air. Will be sure to check out Canadian Affair, and of course AC.

Was it a British Isles cruise you did or starting point for some where else?? I might have mentioned we are doing the Baltic starting in Southampton. Gathering some info from forums here, always so helpful, think I have already done three pages of notes.

If you could share with us which one you liked better I would appreciate it.

Cheers Liz

Phabric, Thanks for some information. The Rubens looks good, much better in price than the Sheraton. No word from West Minister as of yet. Which one did you like better.?? I see that they are across the street from one another. Looks handy for bus and tube travel. I know we won't get to see all we want but will try hard. Like to just enjoy the surroundings as well.

Well, next on the list is air. Will be sure to check out Canadian Affair, and of course AC.

Was it a British Isles cruise you did or starting point for some where else?? I might have mentioned we are doing the Baltic starting in Southampton. Gathering some info from forums here, always so helpful, think I have already done three pages of notes.

If you could share with us which one you liked better I would appreciate it.

Cheers Liz

Are you Canadian as Canadian Affair is for to/from between Canada and Britian. I noticed them in the Toronto Star -Travel section. They are a charter using Air Transat and Thomas Cook planes. Their prices are out for 2011. Air Transat hasn't got their prices out yet. Much cheaper than AC. I called Canadian Affair last year, when I booked, I asked how come they had prices before everyone else, and the reply was because we are a charter and plan in advance. We upgraded to Club in 2010 with Canadian Affair.

In 2009, we cruised with Princess on a 7 day Scandinavian Interlude out of Southampton with 2 days in Southampton and 3 days in London. In 2010 with Princess on a 7 day Norwegian Interlude out of Dover with 5 days in London and 1 day in Dover. In 2011, we plan on cruising with Princess 12 day British Isles out of Southampton.

After reading about hotels on CC, I booked Rubens at the Palace for 2009, thinking we are only to be in London one time, why not enjoy it. I had taken a package that included breakfast, and one other item (I choose a dinner). On the reservation, I asked for a view (you pay extra) and know it is only a request. When we arrived, they said no view room available. Our room was ready, it was a small room, you had to take a step up to get to the bed, no floor room to lay out the luggage (would have to be closed up all the time) and it looked out on the A/C units. Down we go with our luggage. The elevator was so small for two people, if you can picture this - elevator with 2 doors, one person in, suitcase, suitcase, one person and we each were touching a door with no room to spare. They held our luggage. Second room, a bit bigger with double bed, end tables,tv, small writting desk/chair,safe in cupboard, A/C, we were able to lay out luggage on the floor, not much room to walk around luggage on floor, could open window a small amount. We looked unto a brick wall of office building. We paid for the cheapest double, if we paid more the room would probably been bigger. The hotel is in a older building. We received a newspaper daily.

Buffet breakfast, included juice, tea/coffee, fruit, toast, pastries, cereal, cooked to order eggs, warming trays- scrambled eggs, beans, sauage, bacon, tomato. If it was not included it was 19GBP/pp. (Canadian = under $40/pp). Food very good.

When I checked in, I mentioned I had the package and we had a reservation at 7:30pm (I was confused with 24 hour time and all night flight), it should have been 5:30. She never corrected me that the diningroom would be closed at that time. We went down to find out we were at the wrong diningroom and the other one with the package was closed. We could stay and eat but it would be more GBP. I asked for tap water (not bottled) and when the bill came they charged us 6 GBP for the water. The food was very good.

The staff was very friendly, answer questions, room was clean. The staff had uniforms, the doorman was in a red coat and top hat (like in the pictures).

We would stay there again, if the price was right. More like a rich, old type of hotel.

I remembered about the Thistle Westminster so booked it for 2010. It is, turn the corner from the Rubens and cross a street . Rubens faces on Buckingham Palace Rd, Thistle Westminster restaurant is on Buckingham Palace Rd and the hotel main entrance is around the corner if you walk through restaurant lobby you are on Buckingham Palace Rd. The hotel is only 3 floors, it must have offices above. The room had twin beds (for bed size), end tables, writting desk/chair, tv, safe in cupboard, iron with board, small table, a side chair with plenty of room on floor for luggage and room to walk around, A/C. You could open double paned windows which we did, there was a noise from the cars but with windows closed we didn't hear anything. We were on the 2nd floor facing the road.

When I booked on http://www.bhrc.co.uk, there was not package for breakfast or dinner. On their website you can booked with either. If I remember it was 10 GBP extra for breakfast . We went to breakfast, one morning and was charged 15/pp.

Buffet breakfast was juice, tea/coffee, fruit, cereal, toast, warming trays - scrambled eggs, beans, bacon, sauage, tomatoe. We found the food cold and we down by 8am. Never ate dinner there, too many other places to eat.

Staff was friendly, answered questions, room was clean. Doorman had on coat with tails (not as colourful as Rubens).

We would go back again. More modern looking lobby. Alot cheaper than Rubens and in the same area.

In 2009, we used Just Airports to take us to the airport for 30 GBP. Rubens wanted 90 GBP. We took a taxi (5-7 GBP) from dock to National Express Coach station Southampton to Victoria Coach station and walked with our luggage. Had rented a car from LHR to Southampton for 2 days. In 2010, we used Just Airports to take us to the hotel for 34+4 (for parking at LHR). Again, walked to Victoria Coach station and took National Express to Dover with Princess transfer back to LHR.

I was able to get FunFare for the coach both years a couple of months in advance of the cruise, to Southampton 4 GBP and Dover 5 GBP/pp + l GBP for using a credit card. If more than 1 couple it might be cheaper for a private car service. Bus was like a big tour bus, with bathroom and seatbelts, comfortable.

The Hop On/Off bus is great to see London and get off to see what you really want to see. Book online and save.

Thanks for all your input. I thought where I was from was somewhere on my posting but yes, we are just slightly north of Toronto in Richmond Hill. We always say we are from Toronto, as most people know it.

So, about the hotel , we are waffling back and forth between the two. Wish West Minister had their prices out, might make the decision a bit easier. Both get such good reviews on trip advisor but you have given us more food for thought.

Yes, I plan on buying the Coach tickets in advance, most likely it will be just four of us going to Southampton the day before the cruise. Thinking we might see a bit more of the country side on the bus.

We too, thought we might not ever go back to London, BUT our TA has just returned from a British Isle cruise and she gave it such a good review now thinking it might be next. Both Dh and I have Scottish background, and I have such English as well. So looks like we might see England twice, at least we will have the hotel situation under control.LOL

Again thanks for all your help

Cheers Liz

Yes, I plan on buying the Coach tickets in advance, most likely it will be just four of us going to Southampton the day before the cruise. Thinking we might see a bit more of the country side on the bus.

Cheers Liz

Errr, no.

It's a minor consideration, but in fact you'll see a little more countryside from the train. The coach route from Victoria coach station is very slow & tedious out of central London then boring motorway all the way to Southampton, with very little of interest.

Takes 2.25 hours, that's about an hour longer than the train from London Waterloo.

Both of the coach companies, & train (megatrain), offer ridiculously-cheap special fares, likely at least one will do so on your date.

You can get coach tickets from London Victoria to Southampton from about 3 months in advance, with either National Express or Greyhound.

JB

Can someone provide a comparison between the area around the Victoria station / Buckingham Palace Rd as opposed to the area around the London Eye / Waterloo station / Westminister Bridge. I am looking at both areas and comparing a number of factors including hotels, prices, access to the Tube and HoHo buses etc. Not sure which I favour. Based on price, the Permier Inn at County Hall is the cheapest but the Park Plaza County Hall looks closer to the Waterloo station and fairly modern as well but more expensive. I would assume that the Park Plaza compares well with the TW in price and amenities. I have an idea what you locals will say, as well as you folk that have been in both places, but I want to hear your perspective. We will be connecting to Harwich via the Liverpool Station for a Baltics cruise.

A secondary question, the HoHo busses, do they travel their routes in one direction or both. IE do you have to travel the entire route to get back to where you start.

John Bull, due to the time difference between us here near Toronto and the UK, you must be a night worker or a night owl. Unless of course you are not in the UK tonight.

Thanks

A secondary question, the HoHo busses, do they travel their routes in one direction or both. IE do you have to travel the entire route to get back to where you start.

I'd love to see them go the opposite way round one day.:D The total screw-up of central London's traffic round the many one-way streets & gyratory systems would make the national TV news.:cool:

But the route criss-crosses, so you can switch buses at several places, or at many more places with a short walk, to avoid the whole length. Check out their maps http://www.theoriginaltour.com/uploads/files/E-Map2010.pdf and http://www.bigbustours.com/UploadedFiles/SUMMERAPRIL09_MapPlain_medres_200904074943.pdf

John Bull, due to the time difference between us here near Toronto and the UK, you must be a night worker or a night owl. Unless of course you are not in the UK tonight.

Just a very slow typist :rolleyes:

Thanks

G'night all

JB

Can someone provide a comparison between the area around the Victoria station / Buckingham Palace Rd as opposed to the area around the London Eye / Waterloo station / Westminister Bridge. I am looking at both areas and comparing a number of factors including hotels, prices, access to the Tube and HoHo buses etc. Not sure which I favour.

Thanks

London is so easy to get around via Tube, Bus or Taxi, I wouldn't decide on that factor. My main choice would be what Hotel looks the best on price and accommodations. The only other factor would be if you plan on taking a train to other parts of the UK or the Eurostar, staying near the station that offers the most direct route would certainly come into play.

Cheers

I hope someone can help me. We want to fly into Heathrow and go to a hotel in Southhampton to check in and leave luggage and then go into London to the Churchill and other WWII museums and then return to Southhamp to board the ship the next day. Have already seen the popular sights of London and Stonehenge etc, but not the war museums. Will have points to stay at Hilton/Hampton, BW, Marriott or Holiday Inn in Southhampton if possible. Thanks. With all the help from CC, we were great in Venice and I tried to help others after the trip to save time and money. Hope someone can help us with London.

I hope someone can help me. We want to fly into Heathrow and go to a hotel in Southhampton to check in and leave luggage and then go into London to the Churchill and other WWII museums and then return to Southhamp to board the ship the next day. Have already seen the popular sights of London and Stonehenge etc, but not the war museums. Will have points to stay at Hilton/Hampton, BW, Marriott or Holiday Inn in Southhampton if possible. Thanks. With all the help from CC, we were great in Venice and I tried to help others after the trip to save time and money. Hope someone can help us with London.

If it were me, I would just overnight (or more) in London and then go to Southampton rather than backtracking. As far as a Hilton in London, I prefer the Waldorf as it is close to theater land and Covent Garden.

You might look into London Walks http://www.walks.com who offer a discount to the Churchill War Rooms if you take on of their tours (that I can't remember right now) that covers some WWII sites.

The Imperial War Museum is pretty good and they usually have some special displays. Last time I was there it was one about Trench Warfare. Here's a couple of photos from the IWM.

Cheers

DSCN3808.jpg.eb0935ba1a9c928457a03f84c4562e28.jpg

DSCN3809.jpg.1e7875c21b85180a28adf364f9224025.jpg

DSCN3810.jpg.ae65a8946f55394f5188d95e4efb47e5.jpg

Hi Nana,

That's a real convoluted way of doing things, as a previous visitor I'm surprised you're considering it.

Coach or bus/train 65 miles/80 mins from Heathrow to Southampton.

Drop luggage, train (no time for the bus) 80 miles/75 mins to central London, passing within half-a-dozen miles of Heathrow.

Then return to Southampton that evening.:eek:

After an overnite flight :eek::eek:

Including transfers, you'll spend a minimum of 5 hours travelling, more like 6 with waiting time.:eek::eek::eek:

As SST's post, a better option is to hotel in London & travel to Southampton next day.

Or, better still, check in to a Heathrow hotel. I'm no fan of airport hotels, but this is a classic of a one-niter where they're worthwhile. A hoppa bus to the hotel to drop your gear, then head for central London unencumbered with clobber. Back out to Heathrow that evening, then next morning (no need for daft o'clock) the coach from Heathrow to Southampton. Easy.

Just my fourpenn'orth.

John Bull

Thanks for your help. I visited London 40 years ago with a railpass. We flew into Amsterdam and then just took the train all over. We would get off the train and get a B and B we could walk to. It was great, but so long ago. Can anyone tell what hotels are near the Churchill and war museums? If possible, I'd like a Marriott, Holiday Inn, Hilton or Best Western to use points. Thanks

Archived